100 Days of Heavy Snow

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
JD
Legend
Legend

100 Days of Heavy Snow

Post by JD »

Britain now facing worst winter in SIXTY YEARS warn forecasters

LONG-RANGE weather forecasters have warned that Britain should prepare for heavy and persistent snow for up to THREE MONTHS with winter 2013 set to be the worst in more than 60 years. The latest detailed forecasts for winter 2013 ALL point towards months of relentless extreme cold with heavy snow ‘extremely likely’ across the country. Arctic air will roar in from the North Pole later this week, triggering the start of the worst winter in many people’s lifetimes. Experts in long-range weather forecasting said the WHOLE of Britain should be prepared for this winter to be the most severe since 1947, which saw the UK hit by relentless snow and some of the lowest temperatures on record. February 1947 was the coldest in history with heavy snow the following month leading to seven-metre high drifts. Flooding was also a problem as rain ran off frozen ground in torrents leading to widespread chaos on the roads. As the Daily Express reported at the time, roads and railways across Britain were blocked by huge Arctic blizzards. Coal supplies – already low in the wake of WWII – struggled to get reach power stations and many were forced to shut down, causing widespread blackouts. The lack of power supplies became so critical that at one point radio and TV broadcasts were suspended, magazines were ordered to stop being published and many newspapers were forced to cut their size. And the latest long-range predictions for this winter show a pattern that look eerily similar to that infamous year, with bitter Arctic gales leading to feet-deep snow drifts right up until February. Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said: “Early indications are that this winter is looking particularly severe, and we could see parallels with the shocking winter of 1947.

Full story and pics. http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/443462 ... iz+Feed%29
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How can they reliably predict weather like this?
Never mind, get yourself to Hua Hin for a great holiday season. I can predict very little rain, cool mornings and evenings, bright warm sunny days. :thumb:
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
PeteC

Re: 100 Days of Heavy Snow

Post by PeteC »

If it comes true we'll enjoy reading "Tales of the Arctic" from a host of our UK members. All we'll need in addition is an eruption of the Iceland volcano to turn it into a best seller. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Maybe it wasn't such a bad idea from the Top Gear crew to convert their country combine harvesters into snowploughs and flame throwers :mrgreen:
Let's hope that Heathrow are able to cope with the snow slightly better this winter.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

And I'm relocating to the UK at the end of the month :roll: ......... at least I get a couple of weeks on a job in Spain beforehand...
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

As an old timer I remember the snow of 1947. My first lasting memory as I was only 2 and a bit years old We lived in a small village in the Pennines in Yorkshire just a stones throw from Lancashire. Drifts 10ft deep at least and our mill in the valley was inaccessible for weeks
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

I'll take these weather predictions with a XL pinch of salt.
The forecasters have been predicting heatwave summers & mild winters for the past decade & have been woefully wrong across the board :roll:

I remember watching a documentary concerning climate change a while back & a climate expert stated that it is impossible to predict weather more than 5 days in advance :? & even then they usually get it wrong :mrgreen:

Three months in advance is pure speculation, we'll probably have a heatwave in January :mrgreen:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Every frickin time I go back home at winter it snows like crazy. :banghead:
If it comes true we'll enjoy reading "Tales of the Arctic" from a host of our UK members.
Yes mate, your friendly neighborhood Sandman will be sending war bulletins from The Northern Front as he hunkers down in the Bolton Bunker

Thank christ I brought my furry Russian urshaka hat and Timberlands home with me. All I need now is a set of onesie thermal longjohns. :idea:

:cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Could this be a year when the Thames once again freezes? That would be something if it happened. :shock: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Since the initial article some 3 weeks ago, the weather has been fairly normal with little sign so far of what they were predicting. Maybe the weathermen are no better than the cricket forecasters for getting a correct prediction?
taffinexile

Post by taffinexile »

On Sunday of this week the weather forecast was for mild temps during the week 10C. It's been freezing. Only yesterday (Wed) it only got up to two degrees C. So bring on that for cast for snow and we should be sun bathing given the accuracy of the so called weather men!
In my time of dying all want for you to do is take my body home..... so I can die easy
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

sandman67 wrote:Every frickin time I go back home at winter it snows like crazy. :banghead:

Thank christ I brought my furry Russian urshaka hat and Timberlands home with me. All I need now is a set of onesie thermal longjohns. :idea:

:cheers:
They must have come in real handy in LOS :)
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Every frickin time I go back home at winter it snows like crazy. :banghead:
Much of north America is frozen over too... must be that global warming you're always on about! :butt:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

I live in Northern Norway, just 80 km south of the Arctic Circle. The last few weeks we have had several storms, temperatures from -19C to +10C and a lot of precipitation with snow, sleet and rain. On Tuesday we had 109 mm of rain, while out on one of the islands on the coast it rained 156 mm. And getting all that water on top of a lot of snow and ice makes for "fun" times... :wink: