Death of our honey bees - am I missing something?

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Death of our honey bees - am I missing something?

Post by Takiap »

Two or three days ago I read a news article with a headline that went something like this:

Scientists Discover What Is Causing Colony Collapse Disorder In Honey Bee Populations

According to the article I read, honey bee populations are declining rapidly. At present, 60% of the bee population in the USA is required just to pollinate almond farms in California. If the decline continues, food prices are likely to go through the roof, and not only in the USA.

Now scientists are saying they have finally discovered what is causing entire colonies to suddenly die - a mixture of agricultural chemicals routinely used on food crops. :shock: :idea:

They claim that after having analyzed countless samples, they found the average sample had traces of 9 different chemicals, while other samples had as many as 27 different chemicals present.

My question is..........does it honestly take scientific studies in order for us to know that bees are not designed to feed on chemicals. No living creature is, so why should bees be any different. Surely is obvious, and these are actually meant to be educated people. :shock:

More alarming is the fact that we, the ignorant consumers, are also consuming all these chemicals. Rinsing your fruit and veg is basically pointless. If it were that easy to remove the chemicals, farmers would have to spray every time it rains, and besides, how much chemical residue isn't in the soil?

Add this to the fact that cattle, sheep, pork and poultry are also all medicated with antibiotics and etc. Even farmed fish are contaminated. A pretty bleak picture if you think about it. Unless you grow and/or raise all your own food, your hands are pretty much tied.

As many of you will already know, I am not a health conscious person in general, but I certainly hate the idea of eating chemicals and antibiotics which some bunch of idiots maintain are safe for human consumption. I guess it's time to get back off my lazy ass and start growing my own veggies again. :thumb:

:rant:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
PeteC

Re: Death of our honey bees - am I missing something?

Post by PeteC »

Having just spent a month in the US I was amazed to find that next to nothing in terms of food enters my daughter's house that isn't organic. She goes to great lengths to achieve this and it even includes things like peanut butter, bread, ice cream etc.,..basically everything. There's a cost to it inclusive of a lot of time to source everything, but she is committed. I'm making a bold assumption that US organic foods are genuine, but I haven't researched the subject. She says she has and is satisfied with the degree regulation. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Yes Pete, I would tend to agree with your daughter about "organic" really being "organic" since there seems to be very strict regulations in place concerning this. The problem is, as you say, it costs some serious money if you only want to eat organic foods, and of course plenty of hassle.

The way I see it, it's the middle class people who miss out. Those with cash can afford the extra expense, while those who are very poor are likely to grow a lot of their own foods which are typically organic.

I often marvel at my MIL and FIL who are staying here with us, because sometimes days will go buy where they are only eating stuff which grows in the garden and on vacant plots nearby.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
3wood

Post by 3wood »

“If the bee disappeared off the face of the earth, man would only have four years left to live.”
Albert Einstein