Happy Summer Solstice!

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
Big Boy

Happy Summer Solstice!

Post by Big Boy »

I've just been reminded by a Druid friend on Facebook that today is the Summer Solstice. This got me thinking ......... is it the Summer Solstice here as well? My limited knowledge of the Summer Solstice is when the Sun reaches it's most Northerly point, resulting in the longest day (number of daylight hours).

Being here in the Tropics, I guess the Sun was overhead a while ago, and it will happen again on it's journey South. When is our longest day, and is this our Summer Solstice?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Happy Summer Solstice!

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:I've just been reminded by a Druid friend on Facebook that today is the Summer Solstice. This got me thinking ......... is it the Summer Solstice here as well? My limited knowledge of the Summer Solstice is when the Sun reaches it's most Northerly point, resulting in the longest day (number of daylight hours).

Being here in the Tropics, I guess the Sun was overhead a while ago, and it will happen again on it's journey South. When is our longest day, and is this our Summer Solstice?
Yes, it is summer solstice in the northern hemisphere, regardless of where you are.
The relative position of the sun to the earth is at the tropic of cancer, 23 degrees 26 min north.
As Hua Hin is 12 degrees 34 min north, yes the sun will pass directly overhead as its relative position again moves south.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you - another of life's mysteries solved :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Further.......in turn I think it's the winter solstice in the land of Nereus's birth. The coldest time before things start to improve. Probably have penguins strolling the boulevard in Melbourne. :shock: :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote:Further.......in turn I think it's the winter solstice in the land of Nereus's birth. The coldest time before things start to improve. Probably have penguins strolling the boulevard in Melbourne. :shock: :laugh: Pete :cheers:
The Penguins aren't a problem: it`s those bloody Polar Bears that you have watch out for! 8)
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

It's a big festival in Finland and I guess in Sweden as well. Everyone and his brother want to go to the countryside lit a bonfire, bbq and drink themselves to oblivion. The exodus is a bit like Songkran in Thailand but with the population of 5,5 mil, it doesn't quite feel the same. Anyway, I've returned from the countryside to the city which already is very quiet. Setting up my bbq and getting the drinks ready. May even go to see the bonfire before I drink myself into oblivion.

Attached is a photo of me an my friend from last year's celebration. Very relaxing, indeed.

Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

In the north of Finland the sun doesn't set at all at the moment. Here on the south it rises at 3.54 and sets 22.50 today and tomorrow. Then starting on 23rd the days will get shorter, first only by a minute or two.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/a ... html?n=101
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

BG - that photo reminds me of the Finvasions that used to occur at the Fishing Lodge.............
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Actually, Terry, had the Finnvations ended up like that, your fish would most likely had had a wonderful dinner party. Agree with you, though, it was very similar. :cheers: