Meteor Strike Over Russia

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Meteor Strike Over Russia

Post by sandman67 »

Heads up on breaking news from Russia

seems that there has been a meteor airburst over a small town in the Urals area of Russia that has caused pretty significant damages and injury.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21468116

There are already some pretty amazing vids on YouTube.... its astounding to watch.

How wierd.....only last night via YouTube I was watching the excellent BBC documentary ASTEROIDS: THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY -

Here are a couple of the Russian vids

WOW!!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Re: Meteor Strike Over Russia

Post by Lung Per »

Oh dear. What did the people do to make the Gods that angry?
A friend is only one click away
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Angry Gods - Yeah, they really annoy me.
If they are omniscient and omnipotent why can't they articulate what's upset them in ways other than throwing a rock, and not even with a note attached ! Maybe a leaflet campaign would be more effective.
rustam62
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rustam62 »

It was not such a small town, actually, the population of Chelyabinsk is over a million.
I agree, if a God wanted to send a message he/she could have made it clearer than throwing a 50 thousand tone rock with the speed of 30 km/sec at a lake.
In the end over 1500 people got injured. As of now dozens are still in hospitals, some were even taken to Moscow for treatment. Most injuries were from flying glass. It was reported that the explosion was equivalent to a 500 KT nuclear bomb - 30 times heavier that that in Hiroshima. It is a strike of luck it exploded 20 km above the surface. Could have been much worse had it hit the city itslef or blow closer to surface.