Golfing around Prachaup - looking to join up

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
father
Amateur
Amateur

Golfing around Prachaup - looking to join up

Post by father »

I've been staying in Prachuap since Dec. 4th. An avid golfer. Looking to hook up with some "locals" who like to play some other courses around the area. Find the Wing 5 just too rough of a track other than for some practice.

I'm here until the end of February and would be interested in meeting up with those that play the other courses around here like Tanarat. I don't have a car and would gladly buy the gas on golf trips if anyone would like to play. I'm a 6 handicap and could also offer some tips (but only it asked).
father
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Golfing around Prachaup - looking to join up

Post by father »

Off to play Thanarat this afternoon. Hopefully my swing tweaks will hold up.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

father wrote:Off to play Thanarat this afternoon. Hopefully my swing tweaks will hold up.
Bloody hell just been told that's in extremely bad condition at the moment, better to take a small piece of carpet for the fairways.

Let us know what you thought about it.

Merry xmas
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

I dont think Thanarat has ever been in good condition. Father, you need to go and enjoy some of the good golf courses in the area. If you dont want to pay the high green fees of the local courses then you should arrange a day trip to play Dragon Hills or Royal Ratchaburi with some other keen golfers. They are both great courses. Kaeng Krachan is another good track that is worth a visit.
father
Amateur
Amateur

Post by father »

Thanks for the notes guys. The other guy I golfed with rarely plays so thought the price of Thanarat was good.

The course layout is actually quite challenging. If you stray from the fairways you're in trouble or water. If you go there with the right attitude you can have an enjoyable day. If not, then forget it. The whole place seems to be built on a bed of clay. You need a hammer to get you tee into the tee boxes. The greens won't hold any shots and putting is completely different from a well groomed course.

Just bump your balls to get a reasonable lie on the course. Don't get serious about the putting. Have fun with your caddie and enjoy the warmth.

If you're a good golfer and want to have a real game then suggest you go elsewhere. Green fee was 600 baht. Caddie 300 baht (plus tip) Cart for 2 people 600 baht. 1 person 500 baht. You can bring your missus to tag along for no charge (just to watch). They close the proshop/restaurant/bar at 5pm which is too bad as lot of people were still around. Drink stands on the course are very cheap. 4 drinks and cookies = 100 baht. Driving range is 20 baht for a tray of 40 balls. Ok for warming up.

Careful what time of day you go out. We went out around 1pm and when we were on the back nine looked over and saw a group of Thai men playing in an 8 some! on the front nine. I know the courses often allow 6 somes but 8!? Suggest you go out before the "old boys" show up for their daily 9 holes towards the end of the day.
father
Amateur
Amateur

Post by father »

Off to Patts Jan 4-13. Will be renting a car on my return if anyone wants to hook up. Send me a PM and I'll forward you my Thai cell.