Golf course for a beginner

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
clownfish
Rookie
Rookie

Golf course for a beginner

Post by clownfish »

Hello eveyone,

I started to play one year and i need to find a course for a beginner like me (easy enough to enjoy it but at the same time not so easy so i can learn something while playing).

Any idea is welcome =)
blue05
Guru
Guru

Re: Golf course for a beginner

Post by blue05 »

the 9 hole at black mountain may be an idea
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

blue05 wrote:the 9 hole at black mountain may be an idea
You must be joking - the layout was good enough for the Asian Tour to have a competition on it today - enough said !!!!

Dolphin Bay near Pranburi has no green fees and would be a good place to start and other can direct you.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
clownfish
Rookie
Rookie

Post by clownfish »

Thank you, I will check Dolphin Bay course first and after some lessons i will check with the Pro what course will be the more suited for me (did i hear someone say the mini golf course ! ?)

Have a good evening =)
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Best to choose a quiet course so you dont get stressed by players queuing up behind you ! At the moment courses are busy but milford is normally quiet. You can play the front 9 twice as back 9 can be intimidating but great views. Also cheaper than elsewhere if you dont have membership.
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

The 9 hole course at Black Mountain requires balls to be hit over lakes. Not ideal for beginners. Yes you want to go somewhere quiet and cheaper. Milford is probably the best option, but by no means an easy course.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

In my humble opinion the courses around Hua Hin are tourist priced and for 18 handicap or under, especially in high season if you don't want the group behind you getting impatient and hitting into you while you are floundering around with a high handicap. That's why I gave the game up a couple of years ago.

To be 18 handicap I have to play two or three times a week, take lessons a couple of times per year, and practice (outside of play) at least a couple of times per week. This would be too expensive here for me and most (normally retired) people.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
clownfish
Rookie
Rookie

Post by clownfish »

Thank you for all the advices. I am coming mostly in Thailand for holidays and especially to learn playing Golf. This is so expensive to play in Europe (Green fee, teaching) than i can pay my trip (plane ticket and hotels) and golf lessons for a price who will be the same or less than just golf lessons in France.

I think May will be low season and i will be able to find some hours with less people on the cours (i hope). I was reading the ads here for golf lessons and there is an option to get on the course with a pro (so the pro will be able to manage my course and avoid some problems). Did someone try this options, course with a pro ?
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

I played at the Sea Pines at Takiab and it's the first and only time I've ever played 18 holes. I think that's a good enough course to practice on.... (I imagine the golfers cringing reading this).
:cheers:
GN.