Tips for a novice golfer...?

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
ferrold
Novice
Novice

Tips for a novice golfer...?

Post by ferrold »

Hi guys,

I am going to Hua Hin for 3 weeks in about a month's time and am considering paying a visit or two to the golf courses in the area.

I am fairly new to the wonderful world of golf and have been playing for about a year on a few of our local courses here in Copenhagen - Joined a local club this year, and play a few times per week on their 9-hole course.
I should be getting my "greencard" and official handicap soon, but doubt I will be able to get the physical card before leaving... I am currently playing at around hcp 30 on a good day.

Just wondering what the policies are around the golf courses for a novice like me? I know my way around the course, but still wondering if I have a chance (and would fit in) at these slightly more demanding and higher standard courses... and maybe more important, if they would be willing to let me on the course without a valid certificate.

If I won't be able to get some playing time I might consider signing up for some pro-lessons to try and up my game a bit, any recommendations and experiences with trainers and training facilities in and around Hua Hin?

I know it's a lot to ask, but would very much appreciate any feedback :-)

Thank you,
Chris
Big Boy

Re: Tips for a novice golfer...?

Post by Big Boy »

Hi ferrold,

Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

I'm not a golfer, so can't help there. However, this thread is a good starting point viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10055
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

If you're playing to about a 30 handicap you should be OK on the courses. They don't ask for handicap certificates. There may be marshals though - certainly Springfield has one - and they have the right to speed you up, make you let others through and in extreme cases tell you to get off the course if you're really messing up. I can't remember if any others have them - I don't think do.
As long as you're sensible and don't hold play up I doubt that you'll cause offence.
If you're here in a month's time, the golf festival will be on - August and September - so most of the major courses discount green fees heavily. The courses are likely to be busy, especially at weekends, so advance bookings will be essential.
See here for contact drtails: http://www.tourismhuahin.com/golf-huahin.php
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

ferrold wrote: If I won't be able to get some playing time I might consider signing up for some pro-lessons to try and up my game a bit, any recommendations and experiences with trainers and training facilities in and around Hua Hin?
From one novice to another, I think an hour with John Withers (sp?) at Mongkol Driving Range would be an excellent idea, whether you have time to play the courses or not. Very perceptive guy with a good attitude.
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

The advice given you by Lomuamart and dtaai-maai is exactly correct on play, courses, and lessons here, but my "Tip for a novice golfer" after playing the game off and on for 50 years is sell the gear and give it up now! :D :cuss:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

hhfarang wrote:The advice given you by Lomuamart and dtaai-maai is exactly correct on play, courses, and lessons here, but my "Tip for a novice golfer" after playing the game off and on for 50 years is sell the gear and give it up now! :D :cuss:
That's what I did!
When I was trying to play in Asia though, I was never refused entry to any course provided I had the green fee and I was a complete hacker.
Many wealthy Asians I saw on the courses were even worse than me.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'd have to agree with that too - two years playing and never breaking 100 was enough for me to hang up the golf bats!

Still enjoy a swipe round the local military course with a couple of mates and a few beers now and then though so it never really leaves you. You just get steadily worse, don't bother scoring, and avoid the big courses for fear of making an arse of yourself! :mrgreen:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

As a NOVICE you may well find the vast majority of courses around Hua Hin rather difficult and most have some demanding shots.

When I hear a person new to the game and looking for a course to play then I believe they also want it to be an enjoyable experience . I would suggest a flat parkland course that does not have championship type bunkers and water hazards.

If you agree with the above then you are very limited for choice, so perhaps the military course at Dhanarat would be a sensible starting point, and then have a look at Royal Hua Hin ( not that this is an easy course but if you keep on the fairway you will have some fun )
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Or Milford Eagle, but I would play the front nine twice and skip the back side.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

When I hear a person new to the game and looking for a course to play then I believe they also want it to be an enjoyable experience . I would suggest a flat parkland course that does not have championship type bunkers and water hazards.
I would agree on the water hazards; all the courses I had available to me in Indonesia were covered in lakes and I would get through 10-15 balls a round. If it wasn't for the fact that you could buy them back cheaply from the kids who jumped in the lakes during the evening, I would have given up even sooner!
To be honest, the only part of the sport I enjoyed was the walking in the countryside and the drinking and you can do that easier without the golf.
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Contrary to what hhfarang said if you play Milford Eagle you should play the back nine.
It's difficult but the views are stunning.
One tip though a buggy is almost a must for the back 9 unless you are young and fit person.
ferrold
Novice
Novice

Post by ferrold »

Hello again,

First of all thank you for all your replies and great advice.

Think I will try to book some pro lessons at Mongkol and maybe try on some of the easier courses - If that works out I might try to take on some of the more advanced courses if time and the the girlfriend allows it... The golf festival sounds like a great idea! I am planning to book a room at The Evergreen and it seems like they are part of the whole thing, and that I can seek some advice about what to do with the staff there (they seem very golf focused...)

So any way I'll give it a shot and try not to make a complete arse of myself - Seems a bit daunting to go out with caddy and buggy on a championship course only to end up whacking ball after ball into random hazards :mrgreen:

And with regards to just giving up golf all together that has crossed my mind multiple times after hitting the second or third ball in to the same water hazard - However one or two great shots per round can bring the joy right back :D I know it's a frustrating and sometimes even sadistic hobby, but it's just so damn addictive...

Cheers!

P.S. This will be my first (of many, hopefully) visit to Thailand and it's all very exciting!
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Hi Ferrold,

You have picked a nice place to stay, the owner is a great guy and good golfer, sure he can hook you up with some people to play with from the hotel.

If your not playing so well after a few holes, then grab a couple of beer Changs and get them down fast, it will sort you out for sure. :thumb:

John the teacher at Mongkol is excellent, he has fixed many people here in Hua Hin.

Enjoy your time!

JW
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

The only thing that has brought me more grief in life than golf is women, but I've never been able to give up either of them... :oops: :D :D :D
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Come on hhf, look the other way - has anything brought you more joy...even if only fleeting moments!!
You got 210 yards to go, over water to a realy tight front right pin..its soaring like an eagle.....oh my god its perfect........only to drop half a yard short, hit the bunker rake and rebound into the nam!

We can make our own short joyful woman stories up to I am sure!

We all got them!

Cheers,

JW