Golf in Chumphon?

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
le pew

Golf in Chumphon?

Post by le pew »

Newbie here, so I hope this request is in the correct area.
Having played Phuket courses and had a gutsfull of the overpricing, I've decided to look elsewhere for my annual golf pilgimage. The golf info on this site tends to make me look at Hua Hin but I also like to travel about a bit. Played Tab Lamu last year and it's OK for a hit.
What I'd like to know, is the course at Ket Udonsak, Chumphon, worth a visit. I like to play nearly every day when I'm in Thailand so a less expensive course with less expensive facilities doesn't bother me. Just helps with the budget. I thought by starting off in Hua Hin then travelling down to Chumphon may be a good break and I enjoy the quieter places in Thailand over Phuket but not as quiet as Khao Lak.
When in phuket, we usually use an on-line booking service which includes transport to and from the course. Any such services exist in HH or is it a bit simpler than the gouging in Phuket?
Thanks in advance for any comments.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Golf in Chumpon?

Post by margaretcarnes »

I'm not a golfer but used to love Chumphon for a break. It's totally different to HuaHin. Much more quiet, but still within easy access of the coast.
You might find someone on the forum who has used the Chumphon golf course, but it isn't within easy travelling distance of HH for an early morning T off. Given the number of courses in the HH area now I doubt there is much interest in Chumphon from officionados there. But Lomu might be able to give you more info. :cheers:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

If Ket Udonsak is the military course, I havn't played it but hear it's good value. One of the other mods has been there so I'll leave it to him to give you a more detailed description.
On the way down to Chumphon, there's an 18 hole course at the military base in Pranburi - Tannarat - that I think is 800 THB for a round. I hear it's a little rough, but again good value.
Off toward the coast from Pranburi, there's Dolphin Bay which has a municipal 9 hole course. Again, a bit rough but free to play - 20 THB for a trolley. As long as you give yourself a chance by placing everywhere, it'll provide a decent challenge with plenty of water.
Further south in Prachuabkirikhan, there's a 9 hole course at Ao Manao on the military base. Think that was about 50 THB for 9 holes or 100 for 18. I remember it as being fairly long with a lot of water again. Can't remember the conditions, but they won't be Augusta standard!!
There are companies here that do transfers and tee bookings for you, but I think they mainly target the better courses in the HH area, not the ones I've mentioned above. I'll try and find out more.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Golf festival runs in August, all courses around 1000baht, gotta be a good time to visit.
le pew

Chumphon golf

Post by le pew »

Thanks for the replies. August is a bad time for me. Most likely April next year will be time. Just got back a month ago from Phuket and a mans gotta work sometime, I think!
I'm not too worried about rough courses. Played plenty of them. I do really enjoy the top line courses but because I like to play often, the green fees blow me away. I'm happy to pay around 500 Baht + and have a good days golf, a few beers and play pool till its time to put my head down in a medium type guest house - then wake up and do it all again!
I guess we are all different but to me Thai golfing is all about quantity. I'd rather be lining up that dream putt than dreaming of temples and markets.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

You may want to try the courses around Ratchaburi and Kanchanaburi as they have some nice courses in or near that price range.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
le pew

Post by le pew »

OK searching for a map now.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The only course I have played in Chumphon is the military one, I forget the name but it is about 3-4km on the right down the road heading to Ranong from the Petchkasem intersection.

Green fee was about 300 baht, condition is not great but not bad for the price (similar to Thanarat) and most holes are quite straight with little variation. Its a nine hole course with different tee positions so the back nine is a little different. Many of the greens are elevated and there are a couple of water hazards.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
le pew

Post by le pew »

Thanks Buk. Can I safely presume that caddies are available most courses and can I also assume that there are watering stations around all courses? Even Army style courses?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, most courses in Thailand have compulsory caddies and pretty much all of them have those vital watering holes!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson