Caddie Golf Charges Please Explain

Sub-forum for discussion on golf in Hua Hin and Thailand.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Caddie Golf Charges Please Explain

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Not played golf really for years and then only for a short time anyway a friend asked me if I fancy playing at springfield next week
2500 baht green fee
250 caddie fee and 250 caddie tip. I thought you just tipped the caddie what is the caddie fee?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I think the difference is simply that the tip goes direct to the caddie, whereas the course take the fee. I've heard that the caddie normally gets half (or some) of the fee back.
Also, I'm not sure if all or even any courses make the hiring of a caddie mandatory. If it's not, then that's maybe why there's a separate fee to the green fee.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

They get you coming and going here... high greens fees, high cart fees (for those who are too fat, lazy, or unfit to walk), mandatory caddie fees, and caddie tip expected. With a dozen lost balls and a few beers at the 19 hole, a golf day at a good course can easily set you back 4 to 5k baht!

Golf is just one more thing I had to give up when I moved here so that I can eat and pay living expenses. :cry:
buksida

Post by buksida »

You can get all of the above (maybe not the cart) for less than a grand if you play at military or local works courses. As a beginner I wouldn't dream of spending 4-5k on a round of golf where half my balls would go right and the other half would get wet!

Options around Hua Hin are:

Thanarat
Ao Manao
Dolphin Bay
Milford (though not sure how much it is there).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
tj

Post by tj »

Golf is becoming way too expensive in huahin at the major courses!!! The drums have been beating for a while with a lot of tourists complaining about the high green fees and other associated costs. With the reduced exchange rate the complaints will only get louder till they realise there are many other options inside and outside Hua Hin for a much more reasonable outlay.
If a couple want to play at some of the nicer courses with a few drinks after the game, transport, green fees, caddie fees and tips they are looking in the region of 8000 to 10,0000 bht depending on which course and who does the organisation.
That is only for the golf!! Couple that with acccomodation, meals and drinks and u can be looking at 15000 to 20000 per day again depending on where u stay eat and drink.
Hua Hin used to be good value but those days have passed and im afraid a lot of the golf tourists may also pass on Hua Hin if the status quo remains.
If your not cheating your only cheating yourself
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

tj wrote:Golf is becoming way too expensive in huahin at the major courses!!! The drums have been beating for a while with a lot of tourists complaining about the high green fees and other associated costs. With the reduced exchange rate the complaints will only get louder till they realise there are many other options inside and outside Hua Hin for a much more reasonable outlay.
If a couple want to play at some of the nicer courses with a few drinks after the game, transport, green fees, caddie fees and tips they are looking in the region of 8000 to 10,0000 bht depending on which course and who does the organisation.
That is only for the golf!! Couple that with acccomodation, meals and drinks and u can be looking at 15000 to 20000 per day again depending on where u stay eat and drink.
Hua Hin used to be good value but those days have passed and im afraid a lot of the golf tourists may also pass on Hua Hin if the status quo remains.
Totally agree!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
tj

Post by tj »

Sorry mate but forgot to answer yr question. The caddie fee is usually split by the club and caddie. Tips between 200 and 300 bht are the norm.( sometimes more if u took a bit of cash on the course or she was stunningly beautiful). Having fun with the caddies is what makes golf so attractive when playing here and it is one cost i do mind paying at all.
If your not cheating your only cheating yourself
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

I am no golfer but i think it would cost a lot more than 5k ---100 £ in the UK, for a days golf .
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Wow, the UK must be expensive for the game. The average in the U.S. where I played (decent courses in California, Tennessee, Florida), was $25 off season and $40 high season. $60 or more was considered a resort course that was usually played only by tourists or club members.
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

Well its considered a rich persons sport unless you play the council courses i am sure that its very expensive may be the golfers can put me right on this .
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

nevets wrote:Well its considered a rich persons sport unless you play the council courses i am sure that its very expensive may be the golfers can put me right on this .
Cheaper in the UK. However you normally have to lug your own gear around and wear snow shoes!
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

In the words of Tommy Cooper " Thank you very much ".
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I've tee'd off on a first hole in Memphis, Tennessee in the winter just at sunrise when the temp was below zero and the ground was frozen. A straight tee shot goes a lot further under those conditions after the bounces and roll... like driving down a cement highway!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

hhfarang wrote:I've tee'd off on a first hole in Memphis, Tennessee in the winter just at sunrise when the temp was below zero and the ground was frozen. A straight tee shot goes a lot further under those conditions after the bounces and roll... like driving down a cement highway!
Similar, I went to a driving range in Tianjin, China last January with some crazy golf guys. Every third ball the cover snapped off when hit and the damn things must have been frozen as the impact shock went right through your hands and up your arms. What some will do for the love of the game! :shock: :roll: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

What some will do for the love of the game!
Right Pete, In my younger days my foursome used to be standing on the first tee many times waiting for it to get light enough to hit the first drive and actually see which direction the ball went.

Now I only get up before 8 a.m. once a year to watch the Superbowl live on TV! :roll: