Never trust the railway crossing barriers.

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Never trust the railway crossing barriers.

Post by HHTel »

Just driven down Soi 2 from Petchkasem. As I approached the crossing, I was lucky to have my window down (smoking), when I heard a trains siren. I was maybe 10 - 15 mtrs from the line. I stopped immediately and a passenger train hurtled by. No flashing lights and all the barriers were upright. If a Thai had been in the same position I guess there would have been a horrendous accident and death!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Never trust the railway crossing barriers.

Post by hhinner »

Reported it?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I had the same thing on Soi 94 a few weeks ago - I glanced right as I was going over the crossing, and there was a train coming right at me - seconds later and I'd have been a statistic.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I NEVER trust the bloody things ANYWHERE. Slow down, ignore the impatient pr***k blowing his horn behind you, and LOOK both ways. Also does your tyres a favour as more than one crossing in Hua Hin has protruding joints in the rails that you can avoid if going slow.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:26 pm Just driven down Soi 2 from Petchkasem. As I approached the crossing, I was lucky to have my window down (smoking), when I heard a trains siren. I was maybe 10 - 15 mtrs from the line. I stopped immediately and a passenger train hurtled by. No flashing lights and all the barriers were upright. If a Thai had been in the same position I guess there would have been a horrendous accident and death!
Note from wife: The sign in Thai only says, "If yellow light is off it means the barrier is not working."

Just because we're paranoid doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get us.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sorry, but that 'translation' doesn't make sense. There are no lights showing until the barrier is due to drop.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

On Soi 94, at least there is a constantly flashing yellow light either side of the barrier. So the translation makes sense. However, what doesn't make sense is switching the light off if the barrier isn't working. If it's switched off nobody will notice it (HHTel doesn't it when it flashes). Maybe flashing red would make more sense.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Remember, this is the land of everything backwards. Making sense is not a priority.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This entire event sucks big time and should be a lead story in the Bangkok Post! Unfortunate no photos but how do you anticipate something like that happening. Of course when someone gets killed we'll have the shoulder shrugging and finger pointing once again as to responsibility.

God help this country managing and maintaining any high speed line, elevated and separated or not. They'll find a way to screw it up and kill someone. :banghead: :cuss: Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:36 pm On Soi 94, at least there is a constantly flashing yellow light either side of the barrier. So the translation makes sense. However, what doesn't make sense is switching the light off if the barrier isn't working. If it's switched off nobody will notice it (HHTel doesn't it when it flashes). Maybe flashing red would make more sense.
I've crossed over two crossings this afternoon with barriers. I know they are working but there are NO lights other than when a train is coming.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not having a go HHTel, I've seen the flashing yellows, and wondered to myself what they meant. I'm fairly sure there are flashing yellows at Soi 88 as well.

Thinking about it, I'm positive about the 94 lights because I've noticed them when walking, while my car has been off the road for a few days. :D

Points 48; Position 18
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

If the lights are on either steady or flashing then it would indicate that the power supply is on and hopefully the barrier working. No light could mean a number of things including no power but caution is advisable. Like others I practice caution regardless and hopefully will not become a statistic.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I had to do a couple of 'taxi' runs this evening and call me a boring old fart but I did a tour. The amber light at 94 is replicated in a few crossings. It's a constant light which would be more useful if flashing. However, out of 9 crossings I did, there were some that have the same and some that have not. The 'have nots' won.
Kaiboom
Novice
Novice

Post by Kaiboom »

Nereus wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:12 pm I NEVER trust the bloody things ANYWHERE. Slow down, ignore the impatient pr***k blowing his horn behind you, and LOOK both ways. Also does your tyres a favour as more than one crossing in Hua Hin has protruding joints in the rails that you can avoid if going slow.
Yes This. I do this even in the west, where I've rarely heard of anyone getting killed at a railway crossing unless they are running around the barriers. It is still basic personal safety. Slow down and be sure it is safe. It doesn't take much time at all, and you don't have to stop.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Nereus wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:12 pm I NEVER trust the bloody things ANYWHERE. Slow down, ignore the impatient pr***k blowing his horn behind you, and LOOK both ways. Also does your tyres a favour as more than one crossing in Hua Hin has protruding joints in the rails that you can avoid if going slow.
I totally agree, i'm very apprehensive with railway crossing everywhere.