Ford Ranger Powertrain Problem

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Ford Ranger Powertrain Problem

Post by Big Boy »

Before I start, this is in now way a complaint, I'm just hoping one of you mechanically minded people can enlighten me.

As many of you will remember, when I moved to Thailand, I bought a Ford Ranger. I was unlucky in that it had a faulty turbo, but that was eventually changed with days remaining on the guarantee. In the beginning, the after sales service from Ford was attrocious. I am delighted to report that service improved 10 fold, and I have been a happy bunny since.

My car is 6 years old now, and apart from the faulty turbo, I've paid for a new set of tyres, 2 new batteries and a few sets of windscreen wipers - very low maintenance in my opinion.

A few weeks ago, I was driving home from Ratchaburi after the footie, when the Powertrain warning light came on. I pulled over, stopped and re-started the car, and the light went out. About 20 miles further on, it happened again, but this time it was as if somebody had removed the accelerator - the engine was totally unresponsive to my right foot. Again, I pulled over, stopped and re-started the car, the light went out again, and I drove the rest of the way home without problems.

When I got home, I looked up the warning light, which informed me it was the Powertrain, and needed to be looked at urgently. Next morning, I was straight down to Ford, and even though they told me to go away and come back later, I pointed out that their manual states, 'immediately'.

They looked at the engine, concentrating on a huge (3 to 4" diameter) hose. It was still in tact, so I could take it away, and bring it back at 2:30.

I went back at 2:30, thinking they were fixing the problem, but no, they stripped it down to identify the parts required to fix it properly.

They told me to bring the car back in 10 days. It would be fine to drive locally. I was due to drive to Prachuap the next day and Ratchaburi the following Wednesday. They told me Prachuap would be fine, but Ratchaburi was too far. There is very little difference in the distances to either, so it was a taxi to Prachuap, and I scrounged a lift to Ratchaburi. The safe/unsafe margins seemed too fine. They said if I overdid it, I would need a new engine.

I asked what the problem was, but nobody at Ford speaks English, and Mrs BB's translation was a new hose, nuts and screws. It would take 5 days to do. I agreed.

I delivered my car on Monday, and was sat in anticipation this morning, waiting for the phone call to go collect my car. When the call came, it was, 'Sorry, we've found something else wrong, we need to hold on to the car until Monday evening.' Mrs BB's explanation of the new problem was that I had a split fuel tank, but don't worry, this would be replaced free of charge.

So that's where I am.

My question is, can any of you guys explain in simpleton terms what the problem has been? I'm not upset, I'm sure after 6 years, this is just normal wear and tear, but everybody who sees me walking, asks where my car is. I tell them its in the garage, and the natural response is, what's wrong? I can only say that I don't have a clue.

I'd love to know what the problem is.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Powertrain Problem

Post by hhinner »

Don't they have electronic diagnostic equipment at Ford HH?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, and it has been used, but it's the lack of English that I'm struggling with. They tell Mrs BB, but her interpretation is not helping me.

Points 41; Position 18
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Have you tried searching the internet and looking at the owners club sites?

I suspect a sensor has put it into limp mode, which needs cancelling with diagnostics. The cause of course will have to be fixed and the diagnostics will tell them what to replace.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

By stopping and switching off you are temporarily re setting the fault code, sometimes disconnecting the battery will do the same thing.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Fault code readers/ resetters are available cheaply on the internet.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Problem is resetting it, won't fix it, and I'm not clever enough to do it myself.

They've identified the problem, and it should have been fixed already. Problem is, nobody can tell me in English what the fault is.

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Have write down the code. Then look it up on the net.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I can only say that I don't have a clue.
Don't feel bad about it, that is probably just the same answer you would get if they spoke English! :twisted:

If it was such a big "hose" then it is more than likely the air hose from the air cleaner, probaly via some type of inter cooler, and then into the engine. Such hose's are prone to delamination and collapsing internaly. The result is the engine does not get enough air, and ECU will cut back the fuel to compensate. Once you stop the engine the hose may well have sprung back to its proper shape, and the fault light clear until the next time it happens. No experince with those engines, but it is a common fault with many. Did you notice if the exhaust was smoking before the engine quit?

The fuel tank issue may have been lost in translation. Again, not familiar with the car, but the same thing happened with my Land Rover, only it is petrol! It was the subject of a re-call a few years ago and replaced free of charge. If it is a known fault one of the Internet blogs should know about it.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you Nereus, most of that made sense to me :oops: It certainly fits with the mechanic's area of investigation.

It was dark, so couldn't see much. However, the engine didn't quit, I pulled over and stopped myself both times.

Regarding the fuel tank, I agree, lost in translation. I think they've found something, but I don't understand why the tank would have split. I have to clean my car port floor 5 times a week - there has never been any spillage.

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I had this twice on my Mazda. I didn't know what the light was initially and was none the wiser when I looked it up!

It kept going on and off and I never suffered the power loss I was warned would kick in if something serious, however, I did drive in a more restrained manner. If the light came on, I would literally stop, switch off and then restart and the light went off, so I kept using it, as the light wouldn't re-appear for days, but eventually the frequency increased so I took it in and it was a quick and easy to fix hose issue. They never checked it out with computer assistance but seemed pretty clued up where to look.

The 2nd time, some months later, the same thing happened, but this time I was well west of Hua Hin and the light didn't go off. So I switched off, left it for about 30 minutes, switched on again and all was well. But by the time I got back to town, the light had come back on. This time I took it straight back in to the garage and they had a quick look and pointed to damage on the rad, probably through a stone. There was no leak, but you could easily see the affected area. The rad was changed at Pranburi as they didn't have one in stock at Hua Hin and that was that.

From everything I have read about this problem, the fixes didn't make much sense to me, but fix it they did.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you, that is re-assuring. The hose was definitely the first thing they looked at. They basically said they could do the quick fix, which would just be the hose, or the long fix which would give me the equivalent of a 'new' engine. I took it from that there was an underlying problem, and something else definitely was worn - this was the bit interpreted as screws and nuts.

I opted for the long fix, which it now looks as though it will be 8 days.

The good point of all this is Mrs BB insisted I didn't hire a car while it was being repaired, and I'm sure the extra walking, which I don't mind, is doing us the world of good.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Didn't realise until now that your engine is a "Duratorq" used in several vehicles, including Land Rover at one time.
One fix with the Land Rovers was an after market silicone hose. Don't know if they are available for your car.

This "no speak English crap" is just BS. Every part on a car has a part number, and I bet every one of them is on the Internet someplace. You are using the dealer, not some back street "mechanic", and English or not, they have to use Ford approved parts.

INSIST on getting the old parts back, plus the invoice to show the part numbers used, and refuse to pay the bill until they do so!

Depending where the hose was damaged (if in fact it was), there is a possibility of some crap finding its way into the turbo charger. It does not take much crap to damage the compressor side of a turbo charger. Another reason why you need to know just what parts they have used.
............or the long fix which would give me the equivalent of a 'new' engine
I would be a bit concerned with this statement. Have they in fact already fitted either a new turbo, or overhauled the existing unit?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Hmm, one of these sites says "made in Thailand". Probably exported, but may be worth considering if you are going to keep the car.

http://www.murchisonproducts.com.au/sho ... -2011-2015

https://www.ebay.com/p/Ford-Ranger-T6-2 ... 1005900877

https://www.coozauto.com.my/ford-ranger ... -hose-blue