Harsh new penalties for unlicensed driving 'not yet law'

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Harsh new penalties for unlicensed driving 'not yet law'

Post by HHTel »

If this raises the 'tea money' then the result should be the same. Get a licence or face increased fines or 'tea money'. If everyone had a licence then it wouldn't affect the lucrative opportunities for officials! It's not as if you can fail a driving test.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Actually, at the last count, the girl next door had failed her bike test 5 times. Never stopped her riding though :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My wife just commented "How can she fail a bike test 5 times?" Maybe she hasn't heard of the new law around medical certificates for driving - 'Drivers have to be able to see'!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've found it amazing too. I've just checked with Mrs BB, it's 8 times now.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:09 pm I've found it amazing too. I've just checked with Mrs BB, it's 8 times now.
It must be the mini skirt she turns up in. :twisted:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Has she actually turned up with a bike?
Although I've heard that they will supply one.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, she rides it there and back each time.

Points 48; Position 18
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

To be honest, I find it difficult to believe how anyone who has been living here for a while could possibly think that driving standards here would improve if everyone has a valid license. In my opinion, you could force every Thai road user to go abroad to get a license, and it would not make any notable difference.

Most of the drivers here could undergo the most rigorous training before they get their license, but I still don't believe it would make much difference. Somchai, already knows he should not drive on the wrong side of the road, but he does it nonetheless. He sees and knows what the speed limit is, but he simply ignores it because it does suit him, and after all, he is a racing driver now that he has a Euro Tunnel exhaust pipe and a few neon racing team stickers all over his car/bike. He also knows he is not allowed to park in the middle of the road but hey, there's a somtam stall, and the next available parking space massive 10 meters away.

Proper training and stricter testing, would only have a very minimal impact on driving standards here. The real root cause is attitude, and a lack of discipline right from the start. In the west, we learn from a very early stage that breaking rules results in punishment, and we are taught that while we may not always like or agree with certain rules, they are, for the most part, there to benefit everyone. We also get taught politeness and respect. Looking through my eyes, there is an abundance of politeness here, but respect, and by that I mean genuine respect, is pretty darn scarce. It is more a matter of children being taught to respect the monarchy; respect the religion; respect their teachers, and respect their mothers and fathers, and that's it. A smile and a wai is not respect, and a total lack of respect for others can be seen all around you on the roads here. Me first and to hell with you.

I'm not having a rant here, just saying how it is. Making the roads safer here requires a process that begins from childhood. It is poor upbringing and a lack of law enforcement that makes the roads here so dangerous. I'm sure I could also copy and paste most of this reply if we were discussing litter and pollution in Thailand. Am I going to lose any sleep over it? Absolutely not, because things will be just as they are now when my children's great, great, great grandchildren are born.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there Takiap - unless and until there’s a change in attitude and enforcement, little else will change. Whether that will ever happen who knows, but for sure most of us on this Forum won’t see it within our lives - I would hope though that our great, great grandchildren will - I’m an optimist!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I don't usually take much notice of polls, but they are probably right this time.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Majority oppose heavier penalties on violators of driving licence law: Nida Poll

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

A majority of people voice disagreement to a proposal to amend the traffic law to impose heavier penalties on people driving without a driving licence or with an expired driving licence, saying the proposed penalties are too high and unlikely to help reduce road accidents, according to an opinion survey conducted by the National Institute for Development Administration, or Nida Poll.

The poll was carried out on Aug 27-28 on 1,251 people aged 15 and over of various levels of education and occupations throughout the country to compile their opinions on the Department of Land Transport's proposal to amend the traffic law to impose a jail term of not exceeding three months and a fine of not exceeding 50,000 baht on people driving without a driving licence or with an expired driving licence.

For people who have a driving licence but do not carry it while driving, they would be liable to a fine of not more than 10,000 baht.
As for the proposed higher penalties for driving without a licence or with an expired licence, 71.54% disagreed with the proposal; 28.30% agreed with it; and, 0.16% were uncertain or had no comment.

As for the proposed the heavier fine for not carrying a driving licence while driving, 67.47% disagreed, 32.05% agreed and 0.48% were uncertain or had no comment.

Those who disagreed with the proposal said the fine was too high and would not help reduce road accidents, adding that the proposal was not a way of solving the problem at the root causes.

Asked to name what traffic violations should be liable to heavier penalties, 66.43% mentioned drink-driving; 11.11% beating the red right; 10.23% driving over the speed limits; 3.12% turning or switching lanes without giving a signal; 2.16% driving in a way that obstructs traffic flows; and, 1.28% driving on footpaths or taking over from the left without reason.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!