GPS for Honda CRV

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
musungu
Professional
Professional

GPS for Honda CRV

Post by musungu »

Is there such a thing as a free GPS download I can put onto the screen within the dash? I just need to drive upto Bangkok centre - any advice much appreciated
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: GPS for Honda CRV

Post by VincentD »

If car did not come with built-in gps, and you have a built-in touchscreen /bluetooth entertainment system, you may be able to pair the gps on your mobile phone to display on the screen.
I tried this on my son's Juke and it's bl**dy contrived so won't advise that.

I just use the gps on my mobile phone with a windscreen mount, and if necessary, an extra power cord as this sucks at the battery power. I use a dedicated application for gps called Sygic and have bought the licence for Southeast Asia (prefer using this as it uses offline maps you download into your phone) It is free to try for 7 days, after which you will only have basic functions and maps. Works okay for me as it has lifetime map updates and I have used this for years. Not the best but acceptable to me.

If you use Google maps you typically have to be online but there is an option to download over wifi. Have never tried this, though.

Personal advice: download Sygic and try it free for seven days, just nice for your trip. Don't like it, don't buy.
I'm happy with it as I can mix and match my maps of SEA as and when I need them, then delete when not needed to free up memory. Does not cost an arm and a leg either.
วินเชนท์
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

I use the "here" app, which is free and can be used offline. You just have to use an address in the region you want to go online once before.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

pitsch wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:57 am I use the "here" app, which is free and can be used offline. You just have to use an address in the region you want to go online once before.
Sorry Pitsch I don't understand the last sentence - have some words gone missing, can you explain again.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

e.g. if you want to go to Bangkok, you put in your destination as long as you are at home connected to internet, maybe some weeks before you go. Then when you go you will have the complete route available offline, but no traffic information. Then the Bangkok map is stored locally and next time you can just go again. I think it works only on Samsung devices.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

I use GoogleMap, and HereWeGo is also quite good.

You won't even need until on, and halfway down 35 toward BKK, then good to have on, as will advise which lanes are moving faster, and quite handy at times.

There really aren't many 'go arounds' if an oops on 37 / 4 / 35. Do plug in phone, via car lighter or power bank, as once directional app is on, it does suck up some battery. Being online will give you up to date info, instead of simply a map.

Depending where you going, once on the far side of hwy 9 intersection, then you may have some options if an oops ahead of you.