Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: Hua Hin's most dangerous pedestrian crossing

Post by 404cameljockey »

Note that he's saying people are like robots, watching until the light changes. That's what you are supposed to do! In some countries you get fined for walking across when the pedestrian light is red.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

404cameljockey wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:51 pm I disagree with you both. Too say there is never any danger in crossing any road so long as you look is ludicrous. So why on earth are there pedestrian crossings (they are to focus drivers minds and/or stop the traffic)? So you really do believe they are a waste of taxpayers' money> Don't say 'yes, in Thailand', he's talking about Europe and whatever he means by 'and some western countries'.

I'm afraid there are many places in the world where it's necessary to stop the traffic before crossing. Ever been to the West End of London? Milan? Ummm, Tokyo? Even crossing Petchkasem Road at Soi 80 can be tricky at the weekend in flip flops (Crocs wearers can get squashed, I'm OK with that). And to say that everyone is watching their mobile while they cross is just beyond my understanding. It's just unthinking repetition of vague and factually unsupported grumpy old person assumptions.

"Take away the crossings to make people gamble with their lives, that'll wake them up..." *rolls eyes.

He is saying you should cross anywhere, ignoring the places which have been designated as the safest to cross. Yes, we all know that in Vietnam you practically close your eyes and walk slowly across allowing motorised road users to go around you, and that's not the best way, trust me.
It's important to read and re-read what somebody who is not a native English speaker is attempting to convey, which you have failed to do. As for "grumpy old person assumptions", well, I'm sure you would know all about that.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

All the pedestrian crossings are dangerous here, both to the pedestrians crossing and to the drivers, they need to put proper lights on them so when a pedestrian wants to cross they press a button and green light comes on with a figure walking and red lights stops traffic or better still bring back lollipop ladies ..It works everywhere else in the world :)
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

J.J.B. wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:21 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:51 pm I disagree with you both. Too say there is never any danger in crossing any road so long as you look is ludicrous. So why on earth are there pedestrian crossings (they are to focus drivers minds and/or stop the traffic)? So you really do believe they are a waste of taxpayers' money> Don't say 'yes, in Thailand', he's talking about Europe and whatever he means by 'and some western countries'.

I'm afraid there are many places in the world where it's necessary to stop the traffic before crossing. Ever been to the West End of London? Milan? Ummm, Tokyo? Even crossing Petchkasem Road at Soi 80 can be tricky at the weekend in flip flops (Crocs wearers can get squashed, I'm OK with that). And to say that everyone is watching their mobile while they cross is just beyond my understanding. It's just unthinking repetition of vague and factually unsupported grumpy old person assumptions.

"Take away the crossings to make people gamble with their lives, that'll wake them up..." *rolls eyes.

He is saying you should cross anywhere, ignoring the places which have been designated as the safest to cross. Yes, we all know that in Vietnam you practically close your eyes and walk slowly across allowing motorised road users to go around you, and that's not the best way, trust me.
It's important to read and re-read what somebody who is not a native English speaker is attempting to convey, which you have failed to do. As for "grumpy old person assumptions", well, I'm sure you would know all about that.
You say I misunderstood what he said but can't be bothered to explain what you mean, even though you seem to be an expert translator.

No matter, I'll just continue with my mistaken assumption that traffic lights/pedestrian crossings are valuable and the vast majority of people use them sensibly. Quite happy, not even grumpy.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

johnjar wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:39 pm All the pedestrian crossings are dangerous here, both to the pedestrians crossing and to the drivers, they need to put proper lights on them so when a pedestrian wants to cross they press a button and green light comes on with a figure walking and red lights stops traffic or better still bring back lollipop ladies ..It works everywhere else in the world :)
I'm glad I read this twice,on first reading I thought you were serious.

And talking seriously if even the police don't know how to approach roundabouts and also ignore red lights it's what you would call a big problem.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

404cameljockey wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:54 pm Note that he's saying people are like robots, watching until the light changes. That's what you are supposed to do! In some countries you get fined for walking across when the pedestrian light is red.
Even in Thailand, jaywalking is an offence carrying a 2,000 baht fine!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Having just read through this entire thread again, it seem that nearly all posters are failing to acknowledge the fact that in Thailand, or at least for the vast majority of Thai motorists, pedestrian crossings only apply to pedestrians, telling them where they should wait, and cross when it is safe to do so. Crossings, for most Thai motorists, are irrelevant even if there is a red light.

Anything short of a physical barrier will never ever work in this country. Painting solid white lines does not stop drivers from overtaking; you need to making overtaking physically impossible. Putting signs up warning motorcyclists not to ride on the pavement does nothing, you have to install a physical barrier. No stopping and no parking signs don't work either; if Somchai wants a somtam he will stop wherever he chooses, even in the center of a busy road and the rest of the world will just have to wait because he is not going to park in that vacant space a few meters away.

Pedestrian crossings in Thailand will never really work, just like so many other things, and it all stems from the VERY widespread "ME FIRST" attitude.

Whether you love it or hate it, you have just got to learn to live with it, or you should leave because it is never going to change. If you are hanging on waiting for change, I'm afraid you will probably end up losing your mind.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Takiap wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:46 am If you are hanging on waiting for change, I'm afraid you will probably end up losing your mind.

Unfortunately true and it describes perfectly the crossing situation on Phet Kasem Rd at the crossroads with 76/61 alley :shock:
I'm sure the green man inside nods off for a while halfway through . . . . . . and the light sequence never seems to be the same twice :banghead:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Takiap wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:46 am Having just read through this entire thread again, it seem that nearly all posters are failing to acknowledge the fact that in Thailand, or at least for the vast majority of Thai motorists, pedestrian crossings only apply to pedestrians, telling them where they should wait, and cross when it is safe to do so. Crossings, for most Thai motorists, are irrelevant even if there is a red light.

Anything short of a physical barrier will never ever work in this country. Painting solid white lines does not stop drivers from overtaking; you need to making overtaking physically impossible. Putting signs up warning motorcyclists not to ride on the pavement does nothing, you have to install a physical barrier. No stopping and no parking signs don't work either; if Somchai wants a somtam he will stop wherever he chooses, even in the center of a busy road and the rest of the world will just have to wait because he is not going to park in that vacant space a few meters away.

Pedestrian crossings in Thailand will never really work, just like so many other things, and it all stems from the VERY widespread "ME FIRST" attitude.

Whether you love it or hate it, you have just got to learn to live with it, or you should leave because it is never going to change. If you are hanging on waiting for change, I'm afraid you will probably end up losing your mind.

Not going to argue with that. The cult of the self is strong here, discussed in other threads. Be careful out there.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

johnjar wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:39 pm ... bring back lollipop ladies ..It works everywhere else in the world :)
Maybe a good idea but they'd need to be mature aunties, can't have crossings unattended while they are whisked off for a short time by uncle tom or oakdale160.

EDIT: by short time I am of course talking about a momentary period of time, no other meaning should be inferred....
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

For the satisfaction of most of you pedestrian crossing on Phetkasem Rd. are getting a new paint and maybe some more crossings.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

I would suggest to 404cameljokey a pedestrian block for people with a bad sight and useless brain.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

europtimiste wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:25 pm I would suggest to 404cameljokey a pedestrian block for people with a bad sight and useless brain.
europtimiste...Get a grip man :D
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

johnjar wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:39 pm All the pedestrian crossings are dangerous here, both to the pedestrians crossing and to the drivers, they need to put proper lights on them so when a pedestrian wants to cross they press a button and green light comes on with a figure walking and red lights stops traffic or better still bring back lollipop ladies ..It works everywhere else in the world :)
There are crossing like this and they DO NOT work as many drivers/riders do not comply with the light and scooter riders are notorious for coming up the inside and going through lights. Just having a red/green light is not the answer, you would need railway crossing barriers to make pedestrian crossings safe in Ting Tong Land.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali