Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Electric Cars

Post by Dannie Boy »

GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

oakdale160 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 pm So after reading all this talk about batteries and re-charging it seems that the bottom line is that at the present EVs are excellent for driving around town for commuting to work and for short trips but at the moment not suitable for long cross-country trips.
Maybe not right now but as Nereus mentioned, the technology is developing rapidly. For instance, Audi will be coming out with a car later this year that has a range over 500 kilometres on a single charge. I wouldn't normally drive that far without stopping at least once and a normal 'pit stop' for me is often around 30 minutes anyway, which is all you would need to top up the battery to 80% again, so that's pretty decent.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Another nugget that I learnt is that the slower charging--the Level 1 where yu plug into a household plug and which takes all night to charge is kinder on the battery. The higher the power the higher the heating problem.
This Audi claim really changes the game-- charge up overnight and drive HH to BKK to HH on one charge.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

World Rallycross Championship electric car switch approved for 2020
https://www.autosport.com/wrx/news/1365 ... e-approved

Plans to switch the World Rallycross Championship to electric cars for 2020, first revealed by Autosport last August, have been approved by the FIA World Motor Sport Council.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I was born a petrolhead and I'll die a petrolhead, and I wish they would leave racing alone. Let people experience 100 years from now what internal combustion felt, sounded and smelled like. :D Keep the electrics to off track everyday use. :agree: :idea: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

oakdale160 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:19 am Another nugget that I learnt is that the slower charging--the Level 1 where yu plug into a household plug and which takes all night to charge is kinder on the battery. The higher the power the higher the heating problem.
This Audi claim really changes the game-- charge up overnight and drive HH to BKK to HH on one charge.
This is true for ALL batteries, not just cars.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

PeteC wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:22 pm I was born a petrolhead and I'll die a petrolhead, and I wish they would leave racing alone. Let people experience 100 years from now what internal combustion felt, sounded and smelled like. :D Keep the electrics to off track everyday use. :agree: :idea: Pete :cheers:
I think an issue is that car manufacturers are more attracted to putting money into sports that helps them develop technology for the road and the future of that isn't going to be petrol. I imagine there will always be enthusiasts racing internal combustion engines in the same way that people still race horses.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

When the motor car appeared there was a feeling was that it was a gimmick, a toy for rich men but that it would never replace the horse.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Yes, I hang my head. :( "...that helps them develop technology for the road..." But who has asked them to give us things like keyless ignitions and driverless cars? They just assume people want these things, and if they don't, we'll simply jam them down their throats.

I completely understand the shift from petrol to battery, but these other ever increasing "innovations" will eventually take any and all fun and challenge out of operating a motor vehicle.

We're headed for a society who can't do much of anything, except push buttons and sit back and wait for something to happen. Nasty Old Codger Pete. :wink: :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Here’s an interesting article that suggests the rush for governments to force car manufacturers to dispand with internal combustion engines in favor of electric, could be misguided
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... ctric-cars
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Another interesting article about a British Company called Equipmake, who are on the verge of introducing a significant development in electric motor technology - more in the following article.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... propulsion
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:02 pm Another interesting article about a British Company called Equipmake, who are on the verge of introducing a significant development in electric motor technology - more in the following article.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... propulsion
Brilliant! Ties in with what I posted previosusly about the rapidly changing technology.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Certainly putting 295 HP on each wheel will give you enough power!
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

PeteC wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:22 pm I was born a petrolhead and I'll die a petrolhead, and I wish they would leave racing alone. Let people experience 100 years from now what internal combustion felt, sounded and smelled like. :D
I'm with you all the way on that, Pete. We started watching the Formula E racing series, but I just hated the lack of engine noise - it became unbearable to watch.

When it comes to road cars I'm 50/50. The generous uncle who lent us his Porsche Panamera has sold it and bought a Tesla S. He's been a petrol head all his life, has owned a succession of beautiful sports cars, and at the ripe age of 88 wants to experience new technology. I would hasten to add that he doesn't drive himself any more - sadly, his eyesight is failing a bit.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Not sure whether this needs a separate thread or not, but it appears that electric motor bikes are soon to be catching on to the rapid increase in electric cars and there are already some out there that boast awesome performance - albeit at a price, but I’m sure that in a few years we’ll be seeing them even on the roads in Thailand - following article gives more details
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44301182