Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Electric Cars

Post by oakdale160 »

There are so many f these battery stories--eventually one of them will be true.
What are most people waiting to hear? Initially I suggest
1 A car that will go about 500k (300+ miles) on one charge
2 Can be fully charged in 30 min.
so you can drive for 5 hours, stop and refuel yourself and car and drive another 5 hours.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Here in Europe, I'm seeing more electric cars on the road all the time, most people use them to commute so extreme range doesn't come into it. There are also plenty of them being used for business as well, taxi's and delivery vehicles and we have them at the airport doing security.
There are Tesla's, BMW i35's, Nissan Leafs, Renault Zoe's, Volkswagen's, Hyundai Ionics and Byd's from China as well as electric vans and buses. Thailand is not the ideal place to observe this change to electric vehicles as I didn't see any when I was there recently.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

As I've mentioned previously (for good or bad), I've put a deposit/reservation on the Model 3 Tesla.

Whilst in Bristol yesterday, I visited Tesla and have arranged a test drive of the "Model S" (Model 3 unavailable at the moment). I'll take a video and would love to post - how to guys? Do I need a Youtube account for example?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Looking back, I remember in the late 60s-early 70 that in North America it was the first time that the 2-car family occurred. VW had recently entered the market and the Bug sold millions as it was the ideal 2nd car.
I thought that your observation Steve G, that the ones you are seeing are for short journeys, where the total range is not a factor is a similar social situation
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, most families have at least two cars here so to have one for local use and another for longer journeys is no big deal.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I think it is amazing, a"new" automotive idea emerges and then you find that Dr Porsche thought of it first. Dr P produced the first electric car in 1888--thats 130yrs ago.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

oakdale160 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:00 am I think it is amazing, a"new" automotive idea emerges and then you find that Dr Porsche thought of it first. Dr P produced the first electric car in 1888--thats 130yrs ago.
There were over 30,000 electric vehicles registered in the US in 1900, they've been around for a long time, it's lighter batteries that are the new technology.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

STEVE G wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:25 pm
oakdale160 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:00 am I think it is amazing, a"new" automotive idea emerges and then you find that Dr Porsche thought of it first. Dr P produced the first electric car in 1888--thats 130yrs ago.
There were over 30,000 electric vehicles registered in the US in 1900, they've been around for a long time, it's lighter batteries that are the new technology.
Batteries are only part of it. The development of Variable Frequency AC drives plays an even bigger part. Gone are the heavy DC traction motors and their associated high maintence costs.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Electric taxis' launch next month

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/transp ... next-month

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) is to launch a fleet of fully electric taxis on Sept 9.

The DLT has partnered with Chinese BYD Auto Co Ltd and Rizen Energy Co Ltd to introduce 101 electric taxis as part of its Taxi VIP project, and hopes to have 1,000 electric cabs on roads next year.

The fleet will consist of Chinese-manufactured BYD e6 cars with the meter fare starting at 150 baht for the first two kilometers, rising by 16 baht every kilometer after.

Taxi VIP will share the DLT's existing Taxi OK platform which means customers can use the new service via the Taxi Ok app, at Suvarnabhumi Airport or via their 02-029-8888 call centre.

Payment can be made with credit/debit cards, Alipay, WeChat, Rabbit LINE Pay or cash.
..............................................................................................................................
Wonder where the "skim" is taking place with this? Why is the DLT partnering with a Chiese company? At the reported fares, just who is going to use them?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Why would I want to pay 150 bht for the first 2 km, rather than 35 bht?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

What will happen when the taxi drivers forget to charge the battery and the car stalls before you reach your destination?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

How is "driver forgetting to charge" different from "Driver forgetting to fill tank"?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well a passenger waiting for the driver to fill with fuel is a little different to waiting for him to charge his battery.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

There are plenty of electric cars being used as taxi's here in Europe, including those Byd E6's and they seem to work fine.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:12 pm Why would I want to pay 150 bht for the first 2 km, rather than 35 bht?
Only you know why you would :)

Some would because they think they're doing their share to save the planet.