Immigration letter for buying a car or motorbike

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
jungle

Immigration letter for buying a car or motorbike

Post by jungle »

Had to go to immigration last week to get a letter to buy a car and a bike the female officer said that will be 1000 baht for the letters and 1000 baht for me ! Do you have to go through this corrupt practice every time you want to buy a car. The corruption in this country makes me sick
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Buying a car or motorbike

Post by HHTel »

Never happened to me at immigration. The letters are 500 baht apiece. I would have refused to pay the 'extra'.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Re: Immigration letter for buying a car or motorbike

Post by Scout »

Did this happen at Hua Hin Immigration ? I've only ever had to pay 500 bt per letter.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Never happened to me at Hua Hin immigration. They've always been honest and professional in all dealings.
daddy

Post by daddy »

@all
yesterday was April, 1st! :D
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

jungle wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 pm Had to go to immigration last week to get a letter to buy a car and a bike the female officer said that will be 1000 baht for the letters and 1000 baht for me ! Do you have to go through this corrupt practice every time you want to buy a car. The corruption in this country makes me sick
:agree:
I agree with you 110%
The corruption in this country is absolutely DISGUSTING! sometimes, it is very very sad. :banghead: :cuss:
Last edited by Name Taken on Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

RCer wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:50 am Never happened to me at Hua Hin immigration. They've always been honest and professional in all dealings.
Then that is a perfect example and just goes to show how inconsistent everything is in this country.
:cuss:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Talking of inconsistency, there is only a fee for this residency letter from immigration departments in tourist towns, if you live in a normal Thai town you can get this letter from the police station for no charge.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

jungle wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 pm Had to go to immigration last week to get a letter to buy a car and a bike the female officer said that will be 1000 baht for the letters and 1000 baht for me ! Do you have to go through this corrupt practice every time you want to buy a car. The corruption in this country makes me sick
Don't want to upset you any further - but you'll need new letters again in order to sell the vehicles ... :( :cuss:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You could always get a Yellow Book viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32552
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
jungle

Post by jungle »

Yes this was in Hua Hin and no it's not an April fools. What difference will a yellow book make? I have the blue book under my name should that not be enough. I paid the 1000 baht tea money because I thought she could make things difficult if I did not pay.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If your name is in the Tabien Bahn, you don't need the letters.

I was assuming you weren't registered in the Tabien Bahn when I suggested Yellow Book. If your status has you registered in the Tabien Bahn, why are you using Immigration? :?

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

jungle wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:23 pm Yes this was in Hua Hin and no it's not an April fools. What difference will a yellow book make? I have the blue book under my name should that not be enough. I paid the 1000 baht tea money because I thought she could make things difficult if I did not pay.
I find that very difficult to believe. I have never had one single complaint about immigration here in 15 years. I've followed them from Prachuab (Singkhon) through all their various 'homes' in Hua Hin and always found them to be courteous, friendly and helpful. They even have people there with 'Immigration Helper' emblazoned on their shirts. They will fill any forms necessary, even taking a queue ticket for you.

If this was Hua Hin, I would be tempted to make a complaint.

Also, as Big Boy has said. If you are registered on a Tabien Baan then letters from immigration are not necessary. The 'Yellow Book' is proof of address for a foreigner similarly to the 'Blue Book' for a Thai and has other advantages apart from immigration.
jungle

Post by jungle »

HHTEL I can assure you I am not making this up nor am I stupid enough to to miss understand what she said as I stood in front of her. She did not even ask for the cash in a whisper and in front of her colleagues.
I did not know I would not need a letter with having the blue book, thanks for that info.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Before you get carried away about the blue book, are you definitely registered in there? My name is in ours, but I am not registered because Farang can't usually be registered.

Points 41; Position 18