Freak motorcycle occurrence, or a regular happening?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Freak motorcycle occurrence, or a regular happening?

Post by Big Boy »

I saw something today that I've never seen in 30 years of Thailand. I'm just wondering if it's a freak occurrence, or it happens all of the time.

I was going along the road earlier, following one of those hideous Zoomer bikes that u.13s seem to like to go crazy on. It was actually being ridden sensibly, and both driver and pillion were wearing helmets :shock:

As I was pulling over to park, the bike came to a sudden halt in the middle of the road, and the driver jumped off. After doing his blue arsed fly impression for a while, it became clear that his passenger had become entangled in the chain mechanism, and couldn't budge at all.

A lot of dashing about, and shouting for help, somebody actually managed to cut her free - thankfully, it was only her trousers that had been dragged in. She had a nasty looking marked on her ankle, but skin had not been broken. She did roll what was left of her trousers to look like shorts, and smiled about it afterwards.

It did take several minutes for them to remove the tangled material from the chain mechanism.

This looked a fairly serious design flaw, and I was amazed it could even happen. I'd have thought there should have been safety guards to prevent such incidents. Now, not being a bike person, I did notice that his tyres looked totally out of place on the little bike - wider than my truck tyres. So had the guy pimped his bike, and in the process had to remove the safety guards? Or does this happen regularly, and I've been going around with my eyes closed?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Re: Freak motorcycle occurrence, or a regular happening?

Post by buksida »

Teens like to bling up their bikes and part of this process includes removing the protective belt/chain cover so, no, this is not a design fault of the vehicle.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

We've got a Honda Zoomer and it hasn't got a chain so that must have been something else. On bikes that do have chains, kids remove the covers so that you can see the blinged up chains that they have often fitted!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Trying to re-capture your youth? :wink:

OK, I said I wasn't a bike person. The rider and passenger did seem a little old to be on a Zoomer. :D Seriously, a similar shape to a Zoomer, but it had super-truck tyres (OK, maybe that bit wasn't serious) - they were totally out of proportion with the bike, but I did only see the rear end.

I watched the whole thing from the cab of my truck, while Mrs BB wandered off to do some shopping (after a bit of rubber-necking).
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:27 pm Trying to re-capture your youth? :wink:
We seem to have acquired a fleet of scooters over the years and the Zoomer mainly gets used by the stepson when he's here, although I have been to 7/11 on it a few times!