Why I Rarely Give Way to Pedestrians at Crossings

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Why I Rarely Give Way to Pedestrians at Crossings

Post by Big Boy »

I've often written on here the reason why I rarely give way to pedestrians at pedestrian crossings. I have taken a prime example taken off of my dash cam today. I stopped the clip before my emergency stop because what followed included many expletives - it scared the hell out of me.
NB: The camera is slightly out of line, so it gives the impression she had cleared my car before I stopped - she hadn't.

I'd slowed right down because there was a 3 man crossing patrol. As I slowed down to pass the patrol, a woman with 2 kiddies came past on my left, and swung in front of me and parked on my right. Had I not been aware, I'd have at least clipped her rear end, and there would have been 2 young heads destined to make contact with the tarmac.

Swinging in front of a moving 2 ton truck with 2 kiddies on board must be one of the craziest maneuvers I've seen here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydW6dUW4Q2Q
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: Why I Rarely Give Way to Pedestrians at Crossings

Post by Gregjam »

I saw this link on facebook the other day and shared it. Very accurate interpretation of driving attitudes here although a touch racist as a few farangs have adopted similar attitudes.

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-tr ... dents-p169
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Not trying to make light of the incident BB, but I'm sure most people have seen worse.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:Not trying to make light of the incident BB, but I'm sure most people have seen worse.
I don't think the danger of the moment comes across. I had just passed the danger point, and had my foot about to increase speed at exactly the same time as the bike cut in front of me. Because the camera is slightly out of line, you can't see the kiddies eyes as they think they're about to be hit by 2 tons of metal. For me personally, it was as bad a maneuvers as I've seen here.

I don't disagree that we all see some bad stuff, but this one shook me up. Maybe it was the kiddies - I don't know, but it justifies to me my reasons for not giving way to pedestrians at crossings, unless I'm 100% sure there are no motorcycles around. They (many motorcyclists) don't stop for anybody.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Maybe the rider thought you were slowing down to stop as there were people looking like they were about to cross or maybe just a retard. Overloaded bike and not a lot of helmets going on; Right in front of the police. No prizes for guessing whose fault it would have been if you had hit the gas and clipped them :roll: As for worse I see it daily as does everyone else who drives here.

Crazy 88
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

As I said, I've seen some crazy stuff, and yes we see it multiple times daily; but this one really shook me up. It could have been the kid's eyes, the fact I was about to hit the gas, etc, etc. I can't put my finger on it, but it was a horrible feeling.

Points 48; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I've come to the conclusion that Thai drivers do look, but have no judgement of speed of the other vehicle .
Yes a truck going 30 k can stop quickly, but one going 80, or as BB, accelerating, it's a different matter.
Iif they think there is enough room to cut across, fine, without factoring speed
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

What makes it even worse is the fact that if you had clipped the bike and the kids were hurt, you would have felt terrible, but on top of that, you can bet your ass on it that the woman on the bike would have blamed you. In fact, I can even tell you her exact first words: What you do, why you not see meeee?

As you know, my oldest daughter went flying and could very easily have landed under the wheels of a car or truck, and this because of a brain-dead zombie. Luckily, she escaped more or less unharmed, but seeng her getting thrown off like that was gut wrenching, and ever since it happened, I am simply unable to relax whenever I am on the road with the kids. I have always coped really well on the roads here, but I am sort of battling with it now. It was a major shock, and I just have not been able to shake it off yet.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

migrant wrote:I've come to the conclusion that Thai drivers do look, but have no judgement of speed of the other vehicle .
Yes a truck going 30 k can stop quickly, but one going 80, or as BB, accelerating, it's a different matter.
Iif they think there is enough room to cut across, fine, without factoring speed

They can not factor in anything at all actually. If they get the idea that they want to turn, then they turn. It is a matter of only being able to process one thought at a time. I'm not bashing, only saying how it is.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

I think your experience is all the more reason to stop Big Boy..... One can never, ever take anything for granted driving here as we all know. I try to be extra cautious because I am so afraid one day the slightest bit of inattention is going to mean I'll hurt someone.....and it won't matter who's fault it is, I would still bear the guilt forever.

No point in blaming people who haven't been taught how to drive or ride defensively, it will never be any better in your or my lifetime.

I wish one could set up classes here to teach driving skills and defensive driving.....unfortunately the Government wouldn't let us do it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Takiap wrote:What makes it even worse is the fact that if you had clipped the bike and the kids were hurt, you would have felt terrible, but on top of that, you can bet your ass on it that the woman on the bike would have blamed you. In fact, I can even tell you her exact first words: What you do, why you not see meeee?
This is why I have dash cams in the car. I learnt the hard way.
T.I.G.R. wrote:I think your experience is all the more reason to stop Big Boy.....
I always approach with caution, but unless I'm sure there are no motorcycles around will not stop unless the person crossing steps onto the crossing. I do not cross the crossing at a speed that I can't safely stop. As I've said many times, motorcycles will not yield to anybody - my fear is that they won't be seen coming down the blind side.

Points 48; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I saw a shocking incident yesterday which could have ended with two elderly pedestrians dead. People were waiting to cross at the pedestrian lights outside Bangkok hospital, the lights turned to red well before I got there and stopped. An elderly fragile Thai couple were slowly crossing the road towards the hospital when a black Toyota pick up screamed up the inside motorcycle lane and went straight through the lights missing the couple by inches. The lady was so badly shocked she had to sit on the pavement to recover and help came from inside the hospital.
Absolute idiots on the roads here
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not doubting you Steve, I've seen similar many times there. However, it's unusual for those lights to be working at other than flashing Amber on a Saturday or Sunday.

Points 48; Position 18
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Big Boy wrote:Had I not been aware, I'd have at least clipped her rear end, and there would have been 2 young heads destined to make contact with the tarmac.
How many hours have you accumulated riding a motorbike in traffic here? None or close to it? It doesn't take long for riders here to realize there are 3 types of 4 wheeled vehicle drivers.

The most common type are hyper attentive. They don't want to be in a motorbike swarm, so they let them by until it's safe to proceed. When starting, stopping or turning, these drivers give precedence to bikes because the riders will be passing.

The second type, far less common, drive as if they assume bikes and pedestrians will get out of their way, and couldn't care less if they don't.

The least predictable drivers, and thus the most dangerous, are the ones between the 2 types.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Homer wrote:It doesn't take long for riders here to realize there are 3 types of 4 wheeled vehicle drivers.

The most common type are hyper attentive. They don't want to be in a motorbike swarm, so they let them by until it's safe to proceed. When starting, stopping or turning, these drivers give precedence to bikes because the riders will be passing.

The second type, far less common, drive as if they assume bikes and pedestrians will get out of their way, and couldn't care less if they don't.

The least predictable drivers, and thus the most dangerous, are the ones between the 2 types.
I don't identify with any of those categories. I drive in accordance with the traffic conditions and bikes figure in the equation as and when needed, based on the circumstances.
Talk is cheap