Police checkpoints in Hua Hin

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Police checkpoints in Hua Hin

Post by caller »

--AndY wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:14 pm555haha55 and I can't believe u don't know Geoff Carter... He's a proper top banana:)
Believe me, I don't know him or his blogs. Aren't such things ten a penny now. There's a fellow on the local HH fb pages who does something similar. I watched one. That was enough.
Talk is cheap
--AndY
Amateur
Amateur

Post by --AndY »

Caller very true mate... There is loads out there now doin it, same as me I onle really watch the one... One thing though, if I lived out there I probably wouldn't watch any 55555
Remember bar girls can't eat love! :twisted:
My nana use to say, Son if your got nothing nice to say, then don't say nothing at all!!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

sting.jpg
I've been on the road for a couple of weeks covering hundreds of kilometers across several provinces in Thailand on a motorcycle. Never ever do I have a problem with police until I get to Hua Hin. Every time.

The sting was at their usual spot near Salesian school. First they want to rifle through my bag, christ knows what they were looking for, it had some dirty clothes and a wash kit in there. Finding no contraband they start on the bike which does have a non standard exhaust on it - this immediately induces the dollar signs for them. With no dBA meter to test it or not being able to tell me the legal decibel limit they pluck a figure from the air - a nice round thousand baht for loud pipe. Only when I've paid will I get my driving license back.

Even the fine receipts are now in English in Hua Hin and the queue of those having been pulled over and waiting to pay were 80% farang and 100% motorcycles. Mostly Scandinavians being fined 500 baht for riding on licences from their own countries.

:rant: :guns:

Hua Hell you can kiss my arse ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

A word of warning here..When you get your ticket with (same as above) a 1000B fine for something trivial..find someone who can read Thai..what the MiB tells you, & what he writes down to justify such a high fine can be 2 very different crimes!
I did a U-turn on Poolsuk Rd at 7,30 one morning..only cos 1 of our girls were sat on the corner..so technically I rode the wrong way up the one-way St for about 5 yards...
...From no-where came P.C.Hateyou, & was very bad tempered & spoke to me in an uncivilised manner..& gave me a 200B fine..My wife contested this, but he gave her a mouthful of abuse and rode off...
...At the police station we saw our neighbour..a plain-clothes detective..when he read my fine-sheet it said
"Weaving from side to side at speed down the middle of Petkasem Rd causing other traffic to swerve or stop"..!!!
Yes I did get things sorted with the generous help of my neighbour..BUT that twat is still doing this in H.H. today,
& we witnessed him being heavy-handed and abusive to a motorbike rider yesterday after snatching the rider's keys..
Land of Scams... & Gung ho MiB's.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Even the fine receipts are now in English
So does it say in English what the violation was? The majority of the BIB wouldn't be able to write English so do they have a list where a box is ticked?
buksida

Post by buksida »

No, that was written in Thai - but the form is in both languages which says to me that they intend to fine a lot of farangs.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The new tickets have been announced and also allows appeals within 15 days.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30324462
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

HHTel wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:30 pm The new tickets have been announced and also allows appeals within 15 days.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30324462
That could put a dent in MIB abuse? Maybe.... :?

The form looks too long and complicated to me. It's been a long time since I was given a ticket in any country, but that one looks over the top. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Over the many years living here I have been pulled over multiple times around Hua Hin , Bkk etc , and the road going north or south out Hua Hin , and agree some of the BIB can be a bit abrasive, and also many times during check points as mentioned by buksida, and have been ticketed sometimes pay on spot or sometimes going to station to pay fine and get license back, but only been fined for valid reasons such as no helmet or no seatbelt on.

The main thing is keep legal and don’t show attitude, just pay your fine with a smile, and the fine is usually a few hundred baht the price of a few beers no big deal, its all part of living in Hua Hin, and much better than the points system they have in uk :cheers:
albaker

Post by albaker »

--AndY wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:53 pm What's get me, is that I've drove all over Thailand, from pattaya to udon Thani, udon to HH all over Bangkok, and been stopped many times, oh I was driving a 4 by 4 Isuzu truck... I was doin about 95mph n I didn't see the guy stood in the road waving me 2 slow down for the check point, so I slammed on, nearly runnin him down haha, went through the check point like nothing had happened, n on with my day.....
So u can imagine my shock wen I got to HH and started to ride a motorbike, everyday I got stopped, the first Time was for no helmet, no licence and a illegal u turn.... 1000 bhat they wanted... I give in at 500... The next time I was stopped again, just no helmet n no licence, 500 bhat plz haha, he only got 200... The bib told me, everyday he's going to catch me, haha
My point is I went to panburi go my Thai licence, it took half a day to get, n only 250 baht... After that I didn't pay one cent went I was stopped....

Ohhh haha there is speed cameras in Thailand, as I found out went 3 speeding fines come through haha
Just the sort of attitude that gives foreigners a bad name , if you are to be believed .
The name that springs to mind is either Walty Mitty or MORON
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Stopped by police check tonight on the rat run between 88 & 112. I showed my Thai driving license and was waved on my wave. They seemed more interested in the motor bike guys. No problem at all.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The main thing is keep legal and don’t show attitude, just pay your fine with a smile, and the fine is usually a few hundred baht the price of a few beers no big deal, its all part of living in Hua Hin, and much better than the points system they have in uk :cheers:
If you're legal then DON'T pay a fine with a smile. Challenge it and demand a ticket.

On-the-spot fines are a con and illegal even according to the police chiefs.

The points system does exist in Thailand but only if you get an official ticket to pay at the police station. At a police station you will get penalty points (I think you have 40 to play with before your licence is taken from you.)

The police authorities are encouraging the public to report on-the-spot fines but as we all know, it's the easiest option.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

80% farang and 100% motorcycles.
I passed that police checkpoint yesterday on the opposite side of the road travelling to Hua Hin. If it was only M/cycles being pulled over then why were cars backed up in two lanes almost to the traffic lights by the Tessabahn. If it was just bikes, then the vehicular traffic should flow unhindered.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I know 2 wrongs don't make a right and all that, buy I actually applaud the
80% Farang and 100% motorcycles.
Many Thais are illegal, but do not present the same level of risk to other road users. Yes, they do crazy things, but they are consistently bad to the extent their antics become the norm, and are easy for other road users to anticipate. We are on Thai roads, and despite the law, this is the way Thais do things.

It's 25 November. Our town is starting to be inundated with the idiot Farang element. Yes, they are easy pickings for police, and in 6 years of receiving many Farang visitors, we've only known one deterred from riding by these police checks. These Farangs arrive and hire a motorcycle. They see the 'consistent' bad habits the Thais have adopted (forgetting that many Thais have been on a motorcycle from the day they were born, and doing what they do is 2nd nature to them). They then decide that this is the Wild West as far as motorcycle riding goes - there is no consistency in their riding. For many, this will be the only time they ever ride a motorcycle. They are a huge danger to themselves and other road users.

If you are telling us that Hua Hin are targeting 80% Farang and 100% motorcyclists as we move into the high season, then I applaud that. IMHO Hua Hin's police are doing their job right, and trying to deter the danger.

Most Thais, if riding illegally have the good sense to do a u-turn and avoid being stopped.

Of course, I don't condone the scam element, if you're 100% legal. In fact, I've been a victim of similar scams several times outside of Hua Hin, and it's damned annoying.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

I knew some smartarse would spout up about 'legalities' :roll:
HHTel wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:24 am If you're legal then DON'T pay a fine with a smile. Challenge it and demand a ticket.
So how do you know if you are legal or not if they do not have the equipment to test the bike and will not tell you the legal noise limit or the official fine? They gave me a ticket, it was the only way to get my driving license back. The ones that 'challenged it' simply waited longer, everybody had to pay, I wanted to get back on the road and out of Hua Hell.
HHTel wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:29 am I passed that police checkpoint yesterday on the opposite side of the road travelling to Hua Hin. If it was only M/cycles being pulled over then why were cars backed up in two lanes almost to the traffic lights by the Tessabahn. If it was just bikes, then the vehicular traffic should flow unhindered.
Because they're blocking two lanes and taking a cursory glance into the windows. Only motorcycles were actually being pulled over, I had the pleasure of sitting there for 45 minutes waiting to be processed behind the long line of white people so plenty of time for observations and the odd chat.
Big Boy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:34 am Most Thais, if riding illegally have the good sense to do a u-turn and avoid being stopped.
And cause a bigger danger to everyone else on the road by swerving around then going up the wrong way. I'd say that was more cause for a fine than someone riding on a Swedish license. Sorry mate but that statement is just plain stupid. :banghead: