Falangs on the roads in and around

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
father
Amateur
Amateur

Falangs on the roads in and around

Post by father »

I rented a car for the past month. What I noticed is how many Falangs don't seem to realize or care how dangerous it is on the streets of Thailand.

-Walking 2 or 3 abreast along the road (Yes, we know he sidewalks suck)
-Thinking that because they are on the cross walk that vehicles will stop for them
-Riding bicycles without any headlights and tail lights at night
-Riding bicycles 2 abreast on the roads (many look like they haven't riden a bike in years and are all over the place)
-Driving around on scooters oblivious to what is driving around them. Driving the middle of the vehicle lanes instead of keeping to the left. Not keeping the scooters on the shoulders on the Highways.

Please tell/warn your visitors over here about getting around, especially at night. For those that haven't driven over here, the Thai's heavily tint their windows, even the front ones. This is especially bad around dusk as they don't turn their headlights on until long after they should and it is still very hard to see.

It doesn't matter who was right or wrong when you get hit by something much bigger than you or what you're driving. You might win the agruement but you will lose physically and maybe even worse. I've been coming to Thailand since 1990 and never spent any real time in Hua Hin before this trip but I really noticed how dangerously close I saw so many Falangs came to getting hit by vehicles or how hard they were to see at night especially when they were getting around. Especially bad when they cross the main road and stop where the boulevard is lined with the small hedges. Tough to see the Thai's too but they seem to have a better understanding of crossing.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Falangs on the roads in and around

Post by HHTel »

Not keeping the scooters on the shoulders on the Highways.
Officially, nothing is allowed to drive on the shoulders (called safety zones in Thailand) or the cycle lanes (except bicycles of course). I know the majority of Thais do in HH. In BKK there was an order for the police to stop this practice.

However, I take onboard what you're saying. Pedestrians and drivers alike need eyes everywhere and to expect the unexpected.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Look left and right 4 times before crossing a one-way street
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

arcadianagain wrote:Look left and right 4 times before crossing a one-way street
two better alternatives-

1- be safe, stay at home.
2- take a taxi.
:D
A friend is only one click away
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

father wrote:For those that haven't driven over here, the Thai's heavily tint their windows, even the front ones.
Window tints are not what they used to be. I have not been a fan of these and having experienced 'older type' tints I was apprehensive when I bought a car with what I considered a heavy tint; I was quite surprised with the night driving experience.
It works great during the day and does limit the 'outside viewing in' visibility but definitely not the other way around. Just wind the window down before the police checkpoints and there shouldn't be any problems. I'm waved on practically all the time.
Even driving down rural roads at night where the locals use headtorches instead of (failed) motocycle headlights the tint is not a limiting factor. The tinted front windscreen was a big questionmark at the time but I won't change it now.
Gone troppo, perhaps? :naughty: :mrgreen:
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Father, just curious. Have you ever lived or spent some time in Bangkok? Many of the roads are one-way, except for the buses in their bus lanes... This has resulted in many falang fatalities as they don't look the other way down what they consider a one-way street and the bus is coming the 'wrong' way down the street...
Also the reason I preferred using the buses (unfortunately for your POV) as they go the exact same route they came. Drive in Bangkok and you will understand why when coping with the one way system coupled with traffic jams...
วินเชนท์
father
Amateur
Amateur

Post by father »

Never lived in Bangkok. Don't like the big cities. Wouldn't even attempt to drive there. I just see so many falangs out and about thinking they have the same rights on the road that they do back in their home country. They will end up hurt or worse over here.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Does every city in Europe have an inner-city traffic-ban after dark..??
I only ask this because so,so many tourists here just stroll & amble down the middle of the roads at night not even looking around for motorcycles, tuk-tuks etc..
... What part of their brain is telling them this is OK, & safe to do so..?
YES the damn pavement is clogged with stalls, & vendors, but please all you tourists reading this.. be aware of the danger here of walking in the road.
Hobiecat
Professional
Professional

Post by Hobiecat »

I'll have to agree the roads in Hua Hin over the last few years have become a circus with the explosion of tourists and expat's moving here to retire. I'm simply amazed at the amount of people on bicycle's riding down Phetkasem Rd. with out a helmet. It's only a matter of time before grampa and gramma are going to be layed out all over the road. Get your bicycles of the main road folks before you kill yourselves.
Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?