Klong Road Dual Carriageway Opens 27 Dec 14

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Klong Road Dual Carriageway Opens 27 Dec 14

Post by Big Boy »

Don't get caught out on the Klong Road Dual Carriageway tomorrow. It opens to correctly flowing traffic tomorrow. If you're caught on the wrong side, they might think you're Thai :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Re: Klong Road Dual Carriageway Opens 27 Dec 14

Post by BOZ »

Like a silly Farang, I have been using it the past week, oh well at least I am already a seasoned veteran when they go live tomorrow....
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've used it a couple of times to get to Mr Burger 3 (travelling North). I must admit I was worried last week when 2 lines of traffic were travelling towards me in the opposite direction. Fortunately TIT, and the Thai drivers sorted it out and managed to miss me :oops:

Points 48; Position 20
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

ive seen this coming its going to be a disaster i use it every day several times already i have seen 4-5 crashes and where the u turns are the road is too narrow its a accident waiting to happen ,just be careful of motorbikes flying down the wrong side
Brit Jim
Professional
Professional

Post by Brit Jim »

Glad to hear its finally opening - never thought they would finish it…….

Start - Stop …..Start ….Stop ….How many years??

It will be interesting to see how well it works as alot more traffic on Canal Rd.

Not holding my breathe!

:cheers:
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

it works south of the traffic light so why not after ? they must have been in a hurry,when I was in HH start december it looked like they still have some work to do, but TIT so everything is possible

:cheers: :cheers:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Hope they have some big road signs in appropriate places, though I bet some folks will still turn right from Smor Phrong. I expect the traffic police will be funneling new year holiday traffic along there next week as well. Should be good for a laugh. Ho ho ho ... NOT!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

road2.jpg

Points 48; Position 20
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

hhinner wrote:Hope they have some big road signs in appropriate places, though I bet some folks will still turn right from Smor Phrong. I expect the traffic police will be funneling new year holiday traffic along there next week as well. Should be good for a laugh. Ho ho ho ... NOT!
that the problem .from somoprong theres not one sign and theres no road markings saying no right turn ,i've seen bikes turn right and nearly getting wiped out by someone speeding along in the outside lane

and even if you turn left the u turn is too narrow and needs a three point turn to head into town
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I don`t know about two way traffic, but I hope that those new traffic lights at Soi 6 work better than they look!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

ste860 wrote: ...
and even if you turn left the u turn is too narrow and needs a three point turn to head into town
Agreed. U-turns will be safer done straddling the outside lane and the u-turn lane.

A lot of traffic comes out of Smor Phrong at times and I think there's a good chance of congestion being caused by the u-turn. I suppose it was cheaper than putting in traffic lights and a proper junction, and conforms to the traffic police's concept of "safety".

Not much thought given to people crossing the road there either.
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

this road is very dangerous

if your using it be very careful ive been on it 3 times today and nearly had 2 head ons with motor bikes 1 thia and a farang both driving the opposite way out of somorpong and nereus i agree those light will take some getting used to ,caution will be needed until it settles down and everyones used to it
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Quote :- Hua Hin will become the model, in Thailand, for good traffic management; or should that read "tragic management" !!!

I agree that those tragic lights on soi 6 are going to be a big problem..... Let's await phase II, where they try to correct the mistakes. Maybe add a roundabout or two just for the fun of it!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I agree with Bristolian about roundabouts. They would have been better off to put proper roundabouts (ones that you have to go round and cannot ride over the top of) in strategic places such as the already deadly corner of the Pala U road and main junctions along the road and block off all the U turns making the central reservation motorcycle proof but allowing for pedestrians to cross. It would not stop all of the accidents but would certainly help. If they were designed properly so there was no direct line and all traffic including motorcycles had to turn to negotiate them it would also act as a speed control.

The roundabout outside the railway station certainly helped traffic and safety, perhaps Hua Hin could become the Basingstoke of Thailand (but hopefully none of those stupid multi mini roundabouts like in Swindon).
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

:D Let the fun begin, heading out now for a drive down that way.... Wish me luck..... :cheers:
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!