Car left standing while abroad, rats damaged wires and pipes

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Car left standing while abroad, rats damaged wires and pipes

Post by Gregjam »

As I work abroad I have to leave my car for approx 3 months before I return. As I am sure many will understand I am reluctant to leave it in the hands of family while I am away. It was left on the hard stand under cover outside our house with the battery disconnected. I am due back soon and during one of my regular phone calls was told that there was a petrol leak.

Toyota people came next day to discover that rats had got in the engine bay and done a lot of damage to wiring, piping etc. Car is now in the garage and anticipating a big bill.

Looks like I will have to leave the car uncovered in future and connected up so that it can be started regularly as it probably offered a quiet haven for the rats despite our dog sleeping outside near the car.

A warning to others to be aware of this hazard and should anyone have any similar experiences/ideas on how this can be avoided in the future without too much expense I am all ears. I return in a few weeks so hopefully the car will be sorted. Being a Vios it should hopefully not be a problem to get fixed.

I am wondering if anyone has experience of getting a car looked after without paying a fortune. My fear is it being used as a taxi or just disappearing.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Car left standing while abroad, rats damaged wires and p

Post by dtaai-maai »

Gregjam wrote:I am wondering if anyone has experience of getting a car looked after without paying a fortune.
Our Swedish friends come twice a year and have found the perfect solution for their Altis. Us. :laugh: :cheers:

This can be quite a common problem.
I used to teach at a university in the north of Bangkok. I noticed that our neighbours left their bonnets up overnight, but didn't have a car and didn't think to ask why. Then we bought a truck and after a few weeks found that rats had chewed the covers off the wiring!
This is the way
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

We had a similar problem with our washing machine that lives outside - rats just seem to love having a gourmet feast of plastic. :cuss:

I've read somewhere that the nasty little critters don't like the smell of mothballs. You can easily buy them here, so it it might be worth a try.

VS :wink:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

It's not only cars you have to worry about. Some years back either mice or squirrels ate a load of wiring in the attic of a friend house :cry:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Would car/home insurance cover against such attacks?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Probably noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :duck:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Terry wrote:Probably noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :duck:
If you read this Matt, can you confirm the general situation re insurance cover?
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

With the car insurance....surely it is an act of vandalism :P Talking of which ...we stayed at a Premier Inn in the UK last week and went to our vehicle in the morning to find the exhaust and catalytic convertor had been stolen :shock: The police said it was gypsies, on the increase, big business...cost of repairing our van is £3000! We are insured thank goodness. The vehicle is a Mercedes Sprinter and they did not even break the bonnet, everything was done from underneath, even cutting the alarm. :?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Hmmm to keep the rats away perhaps a couple big snakes.....
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I had the same problem. They were even eating the large plastic covers over parts of the engine. I wrote about it in this thread and there you will find some suggestions as to what to do:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13135&p=143575&hilit=rats#p143575

Is your car in a garage with a back wall? Mine was and the solution was to back in and leave the engine towards the opening instead of against the wall. That seemed to stop the problem as they like dark cooler places. So, obviously besides parking it this way, you will not be able to leave it covered. In another instance a mouse took refuge in my wife's car's engine compartment from our dogs who were chasing it and overnight the dogs nearly removed all the paint on both front fenders, and the front of the car while standing up scratching to try to get at the mouse! We had to have the whole front end repainted. Rats and mice are a serious problem here in both the house and in autos.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. The car was left outside the house which is part of a terrace. It is under an awning and had a cover over it (probably the biggest mistake) to try and protect the paintwork from the dog. Parked close up against a wall due to lack of space which also probably didn't help. Still waiting for the repair cost to arrive and reliant on family due to being in England at the moment. I get a feeling this is not going to be a cheap repair.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

A quick update now I am back home again. I have been able to get the damage repaired on the insurance. As the car is new and I guess the insurance we got is fairly good they are covering both the damage in the engine bay and also the fuel pipe replaced earlier. At least that is what I understand and the car goes in next week when the parts arrive.

The mice also made a nest in one of the air con compressors and fortunately did not do too much damage. Found three babies (which led a short life) when I opened up the casings and after a clean up and removal of debris some wires were taped up and all is fine.

Tried the mothballs and not sure if they worked, certainly repelled me and the car still stinks of them but that is slowly going. Wifey has bought one of those electro magnetic rodent/roach repellers which does not seem to affect the dog although it has yet to be seen if it has any effect on rats/roaches.

Okay, not such a short update but having raised the issue it is only fair that I update the progress. I will report again once the job has been done to confirm if it was covered under the insurance.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

It seems that rats biting through electrics is fairly universal. We bought a second hand car here in Blighty a few months ago and decided to purchase a three year warranty. One of the only things not included in the policy are the electrics harnesses, apparently due to the prevalence of rodent attacks; in West Sussex?!
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

It never happened to me nor had I ever heard of it in 45 years of car ownership until I came to Thailand. I believe it is more prevalent in tropical third world countries at least. I don't ever even remember seeing a (wild) mouse or rat in the U.S., opossum's and racoons in the yard, hes, but never a rat. Here, a huge one passed me on a very busy Sukhumvit sidewalk in the middle of the day the last time I was in Bangkok. No one else even looked at him as I guess it is such a common occurrence here that they were not bothered. He was nearly the size of a (short legged) Chihuahua with a long tail.

BTW, when I first moved here and was building a house, I asked a long time Thailand expat if I would have any problems with mice. His reply was "We have no mice here, the rats eat them." :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

hhfarang wrote:BTW, when I first moved here and was building a house, I asked a long time Thailand expat if I would have any problems with mice. His reply was "We have no mice here, the rats eat them." :D
I also have never seen a mouse, here in Thailand but rats yes…lots

I recently had a rat or rats that managed to get into my attic/loft space via an overhanging tree, which is now confined to the annuls of history. The result was a rewiring of the general wiring in the attic space and more specifically the ceiling mounted aircon units.
It cost 18,000baht to repair the damage and to rat-proof the wiring by adding armored protection (spiral coil similar to shower hose) hopefully with tree gone and wires protected there will be no more issues but ….mmm I’m not sure.....
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain