The SUV Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Buying a SUV?

Post by Nereus »

2018 Ford Everest facelift: Thai prices and specs

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/1 ... -and-specs

Ranger-based SUV receives a mid-life update including design tweaks, more features and new 2.0-litre diesel and 10-speed auto.

Is that powertrain from the Raptor?
Yes it is. After making its debut in the Ranger Raptor, the new 2.0-litre diesel engine is now available in the Everest SUV derivative.

Called EcoBlue, the four-cylinder motor develops 180hp in single-turbo form and 213hp in twin-turbo guise, the latter being applied in that dressed-up Raptor with maximum torque of 500Nm.

A 10-speed automatic transmission is also a new development and replaces the outgoing six-speeder. While the less powerful variant sends drive to just the rear wheels, the hotter version is four-wheel drive.

This downsized diesel supersedes the outgoing 2.2-litre four-cylinder and 3.2-litre five-pot, and helps the revised Everest achieve no more than 200g/km of CO2.

The 3.2-litre, in particular, spews out 233g/km and was subject to 25% excise tax. If kept within the 200g/km level, the rate is 20%.
This leaves the Chevrolet Trailblazer as the only pickup-based SUV to emit more than 200g/km of CO2. The other undercutting ones are the Isuzu MU-X, Mitsubishi Pajero Sport and Toyota Fortuner.

There are four grades for the updated Everest. The range-topping Bi-Turbo costs 1.799 million baht, while the other three using the lower output engine ranges from 1.299-1.599 million baht. With the exception of the new entry-level model, prices of the others have risen by around 30,000 baht.

Some new features in the Everest include Sync 3 infotainment with voice control in English or Thai, keyless entry and start and automatic braking system when oncoming vehicles or pedestrians are detected at city speeds. The number of driving aids now amount to five.

The face has been updated with a bigger grille and new HID lights.

As ever, Ford wants to give the Everest lots of product substance to help make it stand out in the 1.5 million baht SUV market. Previously, the Pajero Sport had best on-paper credentials comprising 181hp 2.4-litre diesel and 8-speed automatic.

The imminent Nissan Terra, largely based on the Navara NP300 pickup, will be coming to Thailand with 2.3-litre twin-turbo diesel developing around 190hp and 7-speed automatic.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
doggie

Chevrolet Trailblazer Phoenix offer 999,999 baht

Post by doggie »

Chevrolet Trailblazer Phoenix edition offer 999.000 baht Promotion

Anybody been testing or buying This model !

And Any comments ! Sound like a great deal !
LIGHT TRAVELS FASTER THAN SOUND. THAT IS WHY SOME PEOPLE APPEAR BRIGHT UNTIL YOU HEAR THEM SPEAK.
Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end,
the faster it goes.
PeteC

Re: Chevrolet Trailblazer Phoenix offer 999,999 baht

Post by PeteC »

It appears the promotion was only valid during September. Other models and prices at link.

http://www.9carthai.com/pro-chevrolet-trailblazer/

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 03.33.50_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

New Land Rover Defender teased again for 2020

Photos and story at link.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/1 ... n-for-2020
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:51 am New Land Rover Defender teased again for 2020

We should get to see the real thing in September, but judging by the camouflaged versions, the new Defender looks like it will be a lot closer in appearance to the Discovery (particularly) and the Range Rover, than the old model was. Time will tell, but I wonder the wisdom of JLR offering three “similar” vehicles and they might end up diluting their own share of the market between the three models, rather than pinching it from their competitors?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Maybe they can get this sorted out before selling the things:
2018 D5 New Brake Pads at 33000km.
Hi All,
Love the car. But just in for a service. ‘Brake pads worn” light came on day before service, LR service people say I need new pads back and front. Nearly $2800 on top of service. What am I doing wrong?
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/l462-discove ... ost2904667
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

I was at Hua Hin Chevrolet last week looking at both the Trailblazers. I like them a lot but a little big for me and mine. Neither of us is over 5'4".
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

T.I.G.R. wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:09 pm I was at Hua Hin Chevrolet last week looking at both the Trailblazers. I like them a lot but a little big for me and mine. Neither of us is over 5'4".
My partner is not much taller and she manages our Everest just fine..... probably couldn't bump-start it mind you...

:thumb:
GN.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

I bought a new Pajero in early 2013 and have been very happy with it these past 6 years. I plan to keep it another 4 years, then shop for a replacement SUV. My previous vehicle, a 2000 Chevy Z71 pickup, had a feature that I really miss and wish my Pajero had. This was a feature that allowed 2 different people to each adjust the side mirrors and seat (forward/backward, up/down and recline) and then save their settings. Depending on which person entered the vehicle, it was a simple matter to press either “Driver 1” or “Driver 2” and the mirrors and seat would adjust to that person’s saved settings. Unfortunately the main rear view mirror still needed to be adjusted manually. My question is, do any of the SUV’s available in Thailand have this feature ? I’ll definitely be looking for this on my next vehicle. Another feature I had on my 2000 Chevy Z71 is a display as part of the main rear view mirror that showed the outside temperature and the compass heading of the direction of travel ( N, S, E, W, NE, etc). I miss not having that on my Pajero. In America the outside temperature display was a safety feature to alert you to possible icy road conditions, whereas in Thailand it would primarily be simply informational, but I would still like to have it.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Just a passing comment, the thought crossed my mind while talking to the dealership general manager yesterday when the car was in for a service.

There are two schools of thoughts here - one is a 'fully loaded' mindset, a vehicle with all the bells and whistles and more. The other is the 'KISS' - keep it simple mindset, of which I am a firm believer in.

Note that while I'm all for safety features, I think it borders on the ridiculous when the manufacturers start introducing things like automatic braking where the vehicle outthinks and overrides the driver imput. Look at what happened to the 737s (now grounded).

The other thing about 'fully loaded' vehicles is the cost of repair and replacement. It may be nice to have an auto tailgate but when it breaks you can't open it and it costs an arm and a leg to fix. A standard tailgate may only need a strut replacement that does not cost much. Ditto HID headlights (5,000 baht per bulb vs 100 or so for a standard halogen bulb).

The manager did say that the locals mindset is in the 'fully-loaded' mindset when buying, but have a fright when the repair bill comes and would rather live with the fault (the headlight bulbs are very obvious at night) than pay the money to fix it. I even know someone who went to the trouble of removing the offending bulb in the instrument cluster so he would not have to see the ABS warning all the time.
So to sell cars here they need everything, which also explains why they will only sell autos (be it your standard torque convertor, CVT or dual-clutch setup) The manual is practically dead in Thailand, and they won't bring one in even if it is available elsewhere in the same model range.

I have personally seen fights which bordered on violence when some customers get their bill at the dealership.

Just thought I'd share the thoughts.
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:21 am
PeteC wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:51 am New Land Rover Defender teased again for 2020
We should get to see the real thing in September, but judging by the camouflaged versions, the new Defender looks like it will be a lot closer in appearance to the Discovery (particularly) and the Range Rover, than the old model was. Time will tell, but I wonder the wisdom of JLR offering three “similar” vehicles and they might end up diluting their own share of the market between the three models, rather than pinching it from their competitors?
The advent and enforcement of more and more safety and emission laws have been the main cause of the demise of the Defender. The rugged shape of the vehicle pretty much rules out continuing with the design. It has simply come to the end of its life!

There have been many published articles about what to expect with the replacement design, but most of them are just speculation.

https://www.autonews.com/commentary/cri ... e-judgment

https://foorum.landroverclub.ee/viewtopic.php?t=6971

https://www.trucks.com/2019/04/24/land- ... -defender/
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Reply to Scout - Sorry, tried to use quote but couldn't figure out today. I've been shopping for a new SUV for weeks. I won't buy one without "memory seats". Unfortunately in Thailand your only choice for products not in the elite buyer's group will be the Mazda CX-5. None of the reasonably price vehicles have memory seats. If you see an ad it is for probably an American vehicle. I've checked with Chevy, Ford, Nissan, Honda, Mitsubishi and Izuzu.....even in top trim it's a no. And, regarding Mazda, it is only available in the 2.0 petrol trim.......I am not up to paying big money so have only investigated a couple of the high dollar companies. BMW has memory seats in their X class SUVs, which actually I like very much. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is there isn't any service in Hua Hin or surrounding cities that I know of. The wife is not inclined to going to Bangkok every time we have a problem so we're continuing to look for an alternative. I'm hoping to see some different results in 2020 and probably will wait until then if I can make myself wait.....
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

T.I.G.R. wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:08 pm Reply to Scout - Sorry, tried to use quote but couldn't figure out today. I've been shopping for a new SUV for weeks. I won't buy one without "memory seats". Unfortunately in Thailand your only choice for products not in the elite buyer's group will be the Mazda CX-5. None of the reasonably price vehicles have memory seats. If you see an ad it is for probably an American vehicle. I've checked with Chevy, Ford, Nissan, Honda, Mitsubishi and Izuzu.....even in top trim it's a no. And, regarding Mazda, it is only available in the 2.0 petrol trim.......I am not up to paying big money so have only investigated a couple of the high dollar companies. BMW has memory seats in their X class SUVs, which actually I like very much. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is there isn't any service in Hua Hin or surrounding cities that I know of. The wife is not inclined to going to Bangkok every time we have a problem so we're continuing to look for an alternative. I'm hoping to see some different results in 2020 and probably will wait until then if I can make myself wait.....
The downside is that you’ll have to part with close to 4 million Baht for an X3 which is an awful lot of money to pay for niceties like memory seats!!
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

After three LR Discoveries, from 2008-2019, and a couple of Range Rover Classics that I used to hoon-around in, which were also the last cars I felt I could do any real ‘work’ on, I’ve switched to a VW.

And I love it. https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/new-touareg

Designed for the Chinese market, according to motoring news sites, the new Touareg is a 2.2 tonne SUV with bold styling, a 3.5 tonne towing capacity and bags of tech including air suspension, rear-axle steering and touch screen dashboard. Interestingly, it’s not yet available in SE Asia, according to a quick peruse of the relevant VW websites, and the model has been withdrawn from sale in the US, presumably because it’s not big enough compared with competitors’ offerings.

It was announced that VW were opening a factory in Thailand back in 2015 but it’s all gone quiet, perhaps related to the recent emissions scandal. If you do get the chance to own one in the future, however, I can certainly recommend it.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Nereus
Hero
Hero

All New Toyota Veloz

Post by Nereus »

When luxury meets utility

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... ts-utility

Toyota Motor Thailand Company Limited has launched the "All New Toyota Veloz", a luxury 7-seater MPV crossover that fits into the C-category, in the Thai market. The passenger seats can be adjusted in seven different ways to provide the most comfortable ride possible for every journey. A TFT screen with four different formats, a high-quality audio system, 9-inch touchscreen, wireless chargers, four USB ports and up to 15 cup holders are included in the package. TSS stands for Toyota Safety Sense. Enhanced driving performance is achieved through the use of a newly developed front-wheel-drive platform, a Dual VVT-i 1.5-litre gasoline engine that produces 106 horsepower, and a new CVT automatic transmission that achieves excellent fuel economy of 17.9kpl while providing instant acceleration, a smooth and quiet ride at all speeds. There are also brakes on all four wheels (wow, what a new innovation), as well as an electric handbrake.

Family car owners can choose from two models -- the All-New Toyota Veloz: Premium and Smart.

"The main concept behind the development of this new vehicle is to fulfil the expectations of customers who want a vehicle with distinctive design language and a comprehensive range of utility. It comes with exceptional driving performance, is more appealing than preceding MPVs, and is appropriate for individuals who desire a premium crossover style," Eiji Fujibayashi, chief engineer of Toyota Motor Corp. said.

Design and Style

The front of the All-New Toyota Veloz features a large grille design with LED headlights. It comes with a crossover-style under guard and a chrome body side moulding from the front of the car to the back. The large wheels and wheel arches, and the horizontal pattern that extend to the rear lights on both sides of the car offer it a more luxury appeal.

Interior

The interior is spacious. The space between the first and second rows of passenger seats is comparable to that of C-segment cars. The second row can be slid up to 240mm. It also has a variety of seating options, offering both drivers and passengers more flexibility. The All-New Toyota Veloz also has large and stylish doors that offer it a premium feel. All of these features highlight the vehicle's higher quality.

New Front Wheel Drive platform

The high-quality platform, redesigned suspension, new CVT drivetrain and high-performance engines provide a dynamic ride and excellent fuel economy.

Safety

This model is equipped with Toyota Safety Sense, which enables safe driving, includes a panoramic view monitor, pre-collision system, lane departure alert with steering assist, automatic high beams, front departure alert, pedal misoperation control (premium trim).

Performance and braking

The car is powered by a 1.5-litre Dual VVT-i gasoline engine with 106 horsepower and a quick CVT transmission. Quieter drives with responsive 4-wheel disc brakes and an electronic handbrake.

All-new Toyota Veloz Smart is priced at 795,000 baht.
c1_2282447_220321094120.jpg
c1_2282447_220321094120.jpg (188.56 KiB) Viewed 961 times