Auto vs Manual

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.

Do you prefer a manual or automatic gear shift?

Manual
45%
Auto
32%
Either or, doesn't matter
23%

Total votes: 22

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Auto vs Manual

Post by STEVE G »

Another point is that if you drive the average Thai 3 litre diesel pick-up, they have so much torque that if you get lazy, you don't really have to change gear that much anyway.
I think it's true that many older drivers are perhaps wary of automatics based on how bad some of the older ones were. I once had an old Ford with a three speed automatic that had a kick-down that was basically commanded by a cable attached to the last half inch of throttle pedal movement. This meant that if you floored it at any speed, it dropped into second which could lead to the poor engine reving like a banshee.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

My preference is for a manual, partly out of familiarity, and partly out of having more control over acceleration/ deceleration/ engine braking. Also, because I have a slightly tweaked and turbo'd engine, the manual is preferable. A similar auto model has the engine slightly detuned to prevent gearbox damage.

Having said that, I do drive autos now and then, it's good in heavy traffic. And right now, with my arm in a sling, though the auto would be tempting, am reduced to taking public transport.
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

VincentD wrote:My preference is for a manual, partly out of familiarity, and partly out of having more control over acceleration/ deceleration/ engine braking. Also, because I have a slightly tweaked and turbo'd engine, the manual is preferable. A similar auto model has the engine slightly detuned to prevent gearbox damage.

Having said that, I do drive autos now and then, it's good in heavy traffic. And right now, with my arm in a sling, though the auto would be tempting, am reduced to taking public transport.
Not sure why a similar auto model would have the engine slightly "detuned" to prevent gearbox damage?
If the car has a modern electronic engine control (ECU), then it will very likely have a different fuel and / or ignition "map" to suit the characteristic of the auto transmission, in regard to stall ratio and gear ratio, etc.
The maximum horsepower that the transmission can absorb, without damage, will be well above even a slightly tweaked engine.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Obviously a lot depends on what you're driving, how you drive and where you're driving...... here in Chongqing for example, you don't get above 10 MPH that often :cuss: , so an auto all the way purely out of laziness/convenience.

These days IMHO, modern engines and gearboxes virtually allow you to drive auto's like manuals anyway. Gone (virtually) are the days of the 3 speed boxes mentioned by Steve G.

I have to say though that my personal preference would be a manual - you do need good open roads and light traffic to enjoy it though!! :D
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

I will be hiring a car in France later this year where automatics are more expensive to rent. Get a manual and I have to use my right instead of left hand to change gears. Takes me awhile to do this instinctively.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I know what you mean; I drive a right hand drive minibus outside the airport here where I'm working in Europe and left hand drive truck when I'm in it so I'm constantly trying to change gear with the window winder handle.
What is worse is that you look a complete idiot when you open the passenger door to try and drive only to realise you've got no steering wheel!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Not sure why a similar auto model would have the engine slightly "detuned" to prevent gearbox damage?
If the car has a modern electronic engine control (ECU), then it will very likely have a different fuel and / or ignition "map" to suit the characteristic of the auto transmission, in regard to stall ratio and gear ratio, etc.
The maximum horsepower that the transmission can absorb, without damage, will be well above even a slightly tweaked engine.
Perhaps I should reword that.
Coming from the factory, the standard manual has the turbo boost set at a higher level than the similar auto version, though there was an inbuilt boost limiter on the first and second gears of the manual. It is my assumption that this is done to limit the torque, as both have a similar horsepower rating, and this step would therefore minimise the possible warranties on the respective gearboxes. When I had the ECU reprogrammed, there was still an inbuilt boost limit on the first and second gears, as presumably the tuners know the safe envelope. Agreed about the mapping, ECU's are not interchangeable.
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The boost limit is set to protect the engine, hence why it is only on the first two gears. Yes, torque is what could lead to gearbox damage, but if the auto box is the same one used on both applications I would still doubt that there is not sufficient strength built into it to cope with any increase just obtained by tweaking the ECU. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!