Thai Driver's License Renewal

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Re: Thai Driver's License Renewal

Post by Roel »

My wife renewed her motorbike license yesterday here in Phuket. Prices should be the same everywhere in the country. She paid 355 Baht.

There seems to be structural confusion and discrepant reports whether you need a medical certificate or not. At first sight it indeed looks pretty random, but I think I figured it out: For a 1-year license and for the first renewal (from 1-year to 5-year) a medical certificate is required and for some mysterious Thai logic reason from 5-year to 5-year renewals it is not. Obviously I could be wrong.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Yep. 355 would be right. 250 for the licence, 5 for the application, 100 for the actual licence photo and printing.
dragonseeker
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dragonseeker »

Did not need to do any medical tests yesterday at Cha Am. Medical Cert definitely required and asked for.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dragonseeker wrote:Did not need to do any medical tests yesterday at Cha Am. Medical Cert definitely required and asked for.
thats a somewhat confusing statement - you end up saying that a medical certificate definitely required and asked for, but earlier said you did not need to do any medical tests yesterday?
Jools

Post by Jools »

I have a Thai car and motorcycle licence that expired over 18 months ago. My question is do I apply for a new 1 year license or do they fine me 400 Baht for each license and issue the 5 year license for both?
Play Up Pompey
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Thai Driver's License Renewal

Post by hhinner »

" REMARK :

1) IN CASE OF DRIVING LICENCE EXPIRED MORE THAN 1 YEAR
    - TAKE A THEORY TEST

2) IN CASE OF DRIVING LICENCE EXPIRED MORE THAN 3 YEARS
    - TAKE A THEORY TEST AND PRACTICAL TEST
"
From dlt site

Seems you're in for the theory test. Not sure whether you will then get two or five year licences.
Jools

Post by Jools »

Cheers for the info hhinner
Play Up Pompey
dragonseeker
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dragonseeker »

dragonseeker wrote:
Did not need to do any medical tests yesterday at Cha Am. Medical Cert definitely required and asked for.

thats a somewhat confusing statement - you end up saying that a medical certificate definitely required and asked for, but earlier said you did not need to do any medical tests yesterday?

At Licencing bureau, did not have to complete their colour test, reaction test or depth perception test. But did have to have on hand a "medical Certificate" from a GP. Hope this clarifies.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

At Licencing bureau, did not have to complete their colour test, reaction test or depth perception test. But did have to have on hand a "medical Certificate" from a GP. Hope this clarifies.
Yes, and it all depends on which day of the month it is, which dragon is on duty and whether or not she go her rocks off recently, etc., etc!

The last time that I was there(within the last year), the dragon literally threw my medical certificate back at me, I had to do all the "tests", watch the stupid video, and generally put up with their ignorant crap. And all that was to renew an existing 5 year licence. :guns:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

So far so good with my observation:

For new 1-year license and for upgrade from 1-year to 5 year Med. Cert. required.
For renewal from existing 5-year to new 5-year NO Med. Cert. required.

It doesn't make sense but we all know it does not have to.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Has anyone recently renewed their 5 year car and motorcycle licence as mine are due very soon and we all know things here change by the day.
I understand I need a letter for each licence from immigration, are there any other requirments, medical certificate for each any other letters etc. Is a test required
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali