Somtawin; The Truth, The Whole Truth And Nothing But.....

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
E-Dork
Suspended
Suspended

Somtawin; The Truth, The Whole Truth And Nothing But.....

Post by E-Dork »

Lets try again shall we!!
I do not speak to many other parents so this is perhaps a way I can express my ideas and maybe get a feedback.

I am worried about my children's education, but nothing is being done. Parents that I speak to say nothing in public but gossip in private. I dont know if this is ok on this website but i would like to use this to talk to other parents if that is ok for the moderators.

At this time there are very few teachers left. There is no middle-grade teacher for maths, english or social, and science is now being taught by the grade 1-3 science teacher. Teachers seem unhappy and look very tired. I hear more teachers may leave soon, and where will that leave us? A school with no teachers cannot educate our children.

There were two teachers who came this semester but both went quickly, teaching nothing. I am told both were close personal friends of the head, but why did she get them if they are not reliable, and why has she not got anyone else in after 5 weeks?

Also, children are being left in classes unsupervised because of the problem. I think maybe they cannot get enough teachers in all classes so maybe this happens.

I dont want to make problems and somtawin has been a good school until now, but something must be done. Teachers I think cannot speak because of work permits, but parents can.
I am no longer a parent of a child at this school but feel for the parents still at the school at experiencing a meltdown with no warning.

Let's have this thread for some replies of the TRUTH.

Question 1: Somtawin, are you any teachers down at the moment. If so how many classes do not have a teacher? Are these core subjects as suggested?

Question 2: I've heard rumours of a complete teacher walkout from parents I spoke to yesterday. Is there any truth behind this? Are any more teachers reported to be leaving in the near future?

Question 3 To find the truth are the parents going to have to take it into their own hands again and hold a meeting at the Sofitel and watch all of you squirm in your seats with nothing to say?

Question 4 Somebody mentioned in the locked thread that all the teachers read this. Are any of you going to have the balls to speak up. It doesn't have to be your real name... it's a forum!!!!

Question 5: Are the parents recieving discounted term fees for nat having the correct, or any, teachers for specific subjects. And will the total fees be returned if there is a mass teacher walk out.

Question 6: Will slander be left out of this thread?

Now please, This is to find out some info on the hard to get hold of Somtawin for people like 'a_worried_parent' who posted the origanal thread. I don't have any direct interest at the moment but feel for the parents still there. Maybe we will have some great feedback from parents with good reports.... who knows?

Ex Parent of Child Attending Somtawin School

P.S If there is to be no feedback from a teacher at the school, this would mean all the above is a reality, wouldn't it?
Last edited by E-Dork on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it's within arms reach, there's nothing to worry about!!
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Maybe no replies to come.

Suggestion, post the questions above to their email for the truth. Anybody could come onto the forum and start slating or bigging up the school but how do we know it's the truth? You could post the replies on here.

I know parents post on here so I'm suprised at the lack of response.

P.S. Moderators, intentional or not I don't know but, e-dork is an extremely offensive thai term used towards women. Not sure if the poster is aware of this, but maybe a name change might be a good idea as I'm sure there are a lot of Thais who read the forum.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

GLCQuantum wrote:Maybe no replies to come.

Suggestion, post the questions above to their email for the truth. Anybody could come onto the forum and start slating or bigging up the school but how do we know it's the truth? You could post the replies on here.

I know parents post on here so I'm suprised at the lack of response.

P.S. Moderators, intentional or not I don't know but, e-dork is an extremely offensive thai term used towards women. Not sure if the poster is aware of this, but maybe a name change might be a good idea as I'm sure there are a lot of Thais who read the forum.
What is the meaning of edork then ? i can't find anything in my Thai English dictionary. :|
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

What is the meaning of edork then ? i can't find anything in my Thai English dictionary
"E" is the word placed before an insult to a woman as "Ai" is for a man I believe (I may be wrong, insults in Thai are not my speciality). The term E-Dork refers to a lady who can't keep her legs closed I am told.

You could place "E" before a ladies name to put them down as with "Ai" for a man. Again, open for correction if I'm wrong.

What I do know is it is not a nice word as I used it once (referring to bar girls in Pattaya) speaking with my girlfriend thinking it was a jokey term only to be slapped and not spoken to for a day. Won't be doing that again :oops: :oops:
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

GLCQuantum wrote:
What is the meaning of edork then ? i can't find anything in my Thai English dictionary
"E" is the word placed before an insult to a woman as "Ai" is for a man I believe (I may be wrong, insults in Thai are not my speciality). The term E-Dork refers to a lady who can't keep her legs closed I am told.

You could place "E" before a ladies name to put them down as with "Ai" for a man. Again, open for correction if I'm wrong.

What I do know is it is not a nice word as I used it once (referring to bar girls in Pattaya) speaking with my girlfriend thinking it was a jokey term only to be slapped and not spoken to for a day. Won't be doing that again :oops: :oops:
Thanks for that, i will ask my wife when i go to collect her from work she will know for sure. :D
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

GLCQuantum is right about the meaning of the word and I understand why the girl in Pattaya reacted the way she did.
Maybe it's time for name change E-Dork?
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Image :offtopic: Can we get back to the subject matter please, I'm sure those offended by members names will contact admin.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sorry Buksi,

Having taken the trouble to ask the wife, I must relay her remarks. E-Dork is apparantly 'very bad'. She says the nearest English word is 'slut' or 'whore'.

Clear now. I'll certainly remember that and never use it.
E-Dork
Suspended
Suspended

Post by E-Dork »

Oh Dear!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I was not aware of the word in Thai as me Thai is pretty limited. Tried learning more a few times but as they say 'You can't teach an old dog new tricks'. Memory certainly aint what it used to be!!
If is any complaints regarding my forum name I will happily change it to B-Dork to be safe.

Anyway as Buksi said :offtopic:

I've figured out good way to squeeze out some info. Go down the bars (JW,Headrock,JJ,Hilton). On a normalnight you will meet a teacher or someone who knows one. After a few beers. All will be told!!!

Latest news from last night.... 4 more teachers are leaving! 8 teachers to be down including head of a departemnt (kids). No confidence in school. Again,this was the view of a single person so can't gaurentee the truth of ti.

GLCQ, you are the only person responding to these threads with any sortr of connection to the school. You are still friends with the teachers right? You surely have more info on this matter, or are you another bag of wind with nothing truthful to say? Did they permantly alter you during your stay to hide the truth when you left? Come on, speak up and treat the parents with a little respect.

Until then I will continue investigations.

Regards

Detective T
E-Dork
Suspended
Suspended

Post by E-Dork »

P.S.

'A_Worried_Parent'. You started this concern about Somtawin School and info you gave seems to be correct. You are a current parent. Get n there and ask questions.

You made a single post with no follow up.

Are you really a parent or a disgruntled teacher, what grade are your kids in, how long have they been at the school??

I've no interest in the school anymore but the crap they dragged me through not so long back has left a foul taste. I shall put all the bull crap out in the open for all to see if I have to.

Come on, post on here the improvements the school has made, the changes the school is undergoing, the outstanding level of education the kids get. WHERE ARE YOU!!!

Young lady,you couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

I'm surprised parents haven't been on here, all you hear about from them is how bad the school is, and I know two sets of parents who moved their kids elsewhere. Maybe not many parents use the forum!?

Am I right in that Yamsaard only goes upto end of Primary school and does not do Secondary ? If so does that mean Somtawin is the only option in Hua Hin for a 'higher standard' of education (leaving aside people's current view of it) ?

Cheers,

SJ
buksida

Post by buksida »

I have also spoken with 'worried parents', one with an eight year-old in a class with no teacher. :shock:

Mine are too young at the mo but Yamsaard is looking better all the time.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

E-Dork said...
GLCQ, you are the only person responding to these threads with any sortr of connection to the school. You are still friends with the teachers right? You surely have more info on this matter, or are you another bag of wind with nothing truthful to say? Did they permantly alter you during your stay to hide the truth when you left? Come on, speak up and treat the parents with a little respect.
That's a bit harsh. I suggested already that you e-mail the school, have you done that??

I don't know anything about the current situation and even if I did wouldn't spout bad news about them over the internet (though I should as they screwed me out of 26,000 baht!!!) :cuss:

I had 4 great years at the school, there were ups and downs as with any job, I met some great people and teachers and I will never forget the fantastic students I had there.

What's going on there now....well I don't have time to worry about that, it's not my job!!

Good Luck With Your Investigations 'Detective T' :cheers:
worried_parent
Novice
Novice

Post by worried_parent »

I chose not to respond earlier after my thread became something not intended. No I am not a teacher, I have not the qualifications or english for the task. E-dork, your research is good, and has the same answers I get.

To take questions 1-3:
1. I think it is not that they have no teachers, but few teachers covering too many subjects. They are tired and cannot prepare things well this way.
2. I hear teachers called a meeting with the owners but maybe something was promised because they still teach.
3. I don't think making teachers squirm would do any good, they are trying their best, but making the managers squirm would be enjoyable (maybe even for the teachers).

I think you are getting at the wrong person thouh in your post to GLCQuantum. If he is who I think, then I think he tries to be professional, and make a good reference for future jobs.

My own research has suggested one more departure soon, but I think this may be one that solves many problems, but it is a shame so many teachers are lost before she goes.

It seems perhaps a little more than normal leave, but it is a bigger problem that no teachers come in. Is this for pay? I think possibly. A teacher tells me he could make 5000 a month more at Yamsaard but does not want to let his class down. Maybe this is why they cannot hire. Some teachers hint at another reason but she is leaving soon so maybe soon they can find new teachers.

A friend has emailed Miss Jane as her daughter was in a class with no teacher when Miss Jane was timetabled to teach and has asked questions. I hope I will find out more.

In my original thread GLCQuantum says the same as me about teaching hours but since he left things have got worse. Some teachers teach 31-32 hours a week, I think he got out at a good time. If that is the case and pay is as low as is said, I think there we have the cause of the problems. Parents should demand the school deals with them, and educates our children properly with qualified teachers who are not worked too hard to educate properly.
E-Dork
Suspended
Suspended

Post by E-Dork »

My own research has suggested one more departure soon, but I think this may be one that solves many problems, but it is a shame so many teachers are lost before she goes.
Some teachers hint at another reason but she is leaving soon so maybe soon they can find new teachers.
Yeeesss!! The first bit of positive feedback from the school. One thing that bugs me about the M.O.Ed, someone who would be put in a minimal responsibility admin job back home gets put in charge of a school here!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Good work Detective 'W.P'
:cheers:
Carrying on investigations