On-line English dictionary

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

On-line English dictionary

Post by dtaai-maai »

I've been using Dictionary.com as my on-line English dictionary - mainly because I used it once and bookmarked it.
It's okay, but there must be better free dictionaries around.
I'll plough through them myself when I have the time, but for now does anyone have any recommendations?
This is the way
Bamboo Grove

Re: On-line English dictionary

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I used google on-line translator, good for single words or short idioms but not to be trusted for sentences. Of the different dictionaries I tried last winter for my Chinese translation course (English to Chinese), google was the best.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Thanks BG, but I'm just looking for a straightforward (but good) English language dictionary - not for translation.
This is the way
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Why not just Google ”online English dictionary”? You get Oxford, Cambridge, Merriam-Webster, Macmillan, Collins, etc.
caducus

Post by caducus »

Like the original poster I have been using dictionary.com for some time, for both work and pleasure. I have it bookmarked. But having seen this thread I have had a look at alternatives and have now settled for Oxford.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Use the Oxford American DTM, that will put you on the correct path. :laugh: :duck:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

caducus wrote: But having seen this thread I have had a look at alternatives and have now settled for Oxford.
Thanks, I'll take a closer look at that and Cambridge - don't you just love it when someone does your work for you...? :thumb: :laugh: :cheers:
This is the way