Local Thais have no interest in learning English

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Local Thais have no interest in learning English

Post by Takiap »

oakdale160 wrote:Do I understand that once AEC is implemented that there will be free flow of labor throughout the region. One can visualise that international companies might bring in S'porians in the thousands!

I can't really see that happening, but if it did, and to a point where Thailand felt threatened, they would probably just withdraw from the agreement.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Oakdale
I believe the 'free flow of labour' will be limited to certain categories only. Think there were seven specific categories, will dig a bit deeper.
BTW, I'm Singaporean and it looks like I've beaten the forthcoming stampede by twenty-five years... :)
วินเชนท์
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I disagree in detail Takiab. If the Thais are threatened they would not withdraw formally, that would be far too confrontational. They would just stop cooperating, not enforce AEC regulations and the whole thing will turn into the debating society with no teeth, just like ASEAN.
The 'English is the primary language of AEC' regulation is regarded as a difficulty in some countries, in Thai it could be a deal-breaker.
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

There is also a large disparity in gender with Thai seeking to study English.. In our experience, it is about 1 male for every 20 females.
Also, have you ever observed the presentation of degree ceremonies on TV? A large majority are females. Be interesting in see some stats.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Surely anyone who has been in this country for even a week or so knows that Thai women are for the most part, ambitious, smart and hard working. As for the men you don't need an education to become a m'bike taxi driver. Eventually ALL the responsible jobs will be held by women.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Its too late but perhaps the title of this thread should be---Local Thai MEN have no -------
nickswift

Post by nickswift »

oakdale160 wrote:Surely anyone who has been in this country for even a week or so knows that Thai women are for the most part, ambitious, smart and hard working. As for the men you don't need an education to become a m'bike taxi driver. Eventually ALL the responsible jobs will be held by women.
are we in the same country?
nickswift

Post by nickswift »

oakdale160 wrote:Surely anyone who has been in this country for even a week or so knows that Thai women are for the most part, ambitious, smart and hard working. As for the men you don't need an education to become a m'bike taxi driver. Eventually ALL the responsible jobs will be held by women.
just some som tam and a pat lom is enough?
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Oakdale: I've been living in Thailand for quite a bit longer than a week and I would dearly love to have most of my female students fit your description. To be fair some do, as do some of the males. Are you referring to ladies of the night or those who attend universities?

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

My impression was based on working in Thai companies, the female executives who were at the best middle management in spite of their masters degrees and overseas experience, put in 12 hours days and their worthless male bosses took all the credit.
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

bapak wrote:
sand_dancer wrote:Somebody earlier said that State schools do not teach English.

One of my Thai friend's son, goes to State school and he gets taught English.

No idea what school he goes to but he has a school issued electronic pad thing that he uses for the alphabet, counting, what we would call nursery rhymes etc.
As I understand, English classes are compulsory from Grade 5 (about 7 years of age).
That would explain it Bapak....

I thought he was 6 but he could well be 7....

Thanks for the explanation....