Cut Throat Pricing in Language school

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
Elaine
Amateur
Amateur

Cut Throat Pricing in Language school

Post by Elaine »

I see that a particular language school is now offering Ed Visa for about 1/3 of the norm. In addition, for a payment to Immigration of Baht 12,000, they will get you a 12 month Extension To Stay. My understanding is that such schools can only offer 3 monthly extensions. Is this legal? Then again, TIT.

Regardless, in my experience over the years, price discounting only leads to everyone losing. One place offers 18,000, next 15,000, first one then offers 12,000, and so on. Eventually one or the other will go bust... and where does that leave the poor student who has paid fees and Immigration status. There was a similar instance in Chiang Mei about a year ago with the result that a large number of student's stay were terminated.
blue05
Guru
Guru

Re: Cut Throat Pricing in Language school

Post by blue05 »

I thought the ED Visa was a 12 month Visa?
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

It's an 'O' Visa. You can get the 12 month multi-entry version, but that means you have to leave the country every three months. The preferred method is to get the 90 day single entry version, and extend it at immigration every 90 days.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

For language schools the Education visa's are for 12 months with 90 day whateveritis stamps at the nearest stamp place. Legally (what the book says) you can extend it for up to four years (3 being normal - on the fourth year you need to sit a Thai test (spoken and written) to see if you're simply winging it and paying a company or actually studying).

In the case that you aren't studying the Thai Language the University sorts it out for you anyways year by year with no hassles. :cheers:

I must add that this information is three years old and you know how much they love changing stuff once a new puppet sits in the big man's chair. Along with this there are always 'exceptions' too :wink:

:cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Is this legal? Then again, TIT.
I remember reading of a language school getting closed down in somewhere like Pattaya or Phuket recently on the basis of the fact that the number of educational visas issued far exceeded the facilities of the school.
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

I will refrain from comment on this subject except to say that we are not the school in question. We play by the rules... In fact, we probably charge a little more than others... In return, we offer quality.

Sirada - The Learning Centre
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

Elaine wrote: and where does that leave the poor student who has paid fees and Immigration status..
It's a good point, that's why I choose a school that I pay 5,000 haht for every 3 months so I am not really losing out if they go under unless its right after I make my payment and get extended.

I used to go to language school in Pattaya, I paid 25000 baht up front for the entire year. Lucky me that they did not go under cause I am quite sure there would be no refund.

As for immigration rules you have to understand they can change at a momments notice. The owner of the place I go to school told me 2 months ago that you can go to immigration, pay 30,000 baht for a 1 year visa with as many exits and re-entry's as you want. That was 2 months ago so immigration could have easily changed their mind.

When I first came to Thailand my 30 day was up and I had to either leave the country or get an extension. I went to Jomtien immigration and asked them for an extension they said I could only extend 15 days. I told them I wanted 3 months, they said it was impossible to do this. I asked for the person in charge and he said no, then I said I was willing to pay, he changed his tune and said it was 12,000 baht. He took the money, put most in his own pocket in front of everyone and the rest in the draw. He then walked my passport to the front of the line, got the stamp and gave it back to me. So much for "impossible"!
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936