Schools face random checks for bribery

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
buksida

Schools face random checks for bribery

Post by buksida »

The Education Ministry is clamping down on bribery by conducting random checks of prestigious, highly competitive schools during the admissions season.

Minister Chinnaworn Boonyakiat said the committee on the audit, inspection and assessment of school admissions had been asked to make unannounced random inspections of big-name schools nationwide to make sure no "tea money" changed hands.

The committee would be assisted in the inspections by the ministry's inspector-general and staff from the educational service areas.

The ministry is trying to clamp down on parents offering money in exchange for seats for children who fail to pass school entrance examinations.

Full Story: Bangkok Post

Thought: This will either result in more politicians kids going to crap schools or a far wealthier education ministry!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Schools face random checks for bribery

Post by Spitfire »

Probably the latter of those two options, I reckon. Without mentioning names of schools, some of the more over-subscribed ones make it mandatory (unofficially of course) for the parents of new kids to make a "donation" or 'oil the wheels' of the admissions department to get "Littly Billy" accepted. This can rake in a lot of cash for them and is practiced without shame all over Thailand.

Might be just a bit of hot air from the Ministry or another way for them to make their own "extras", rather like the now mandatory teachers license etc for foreigners that is a complete load of incomprehensable farce, with few that manage a convincing pass.

I do like the cavalier way, makes me smile, in which they just announce stuff/action like this, as if it's minor new problem that's arisen recently and some half-arsed action will knock the problem on the head. No 'tip of the hat' to just how bigger a problem it really is, always superficial bandage dressing. :laugh:

Makes a good headline though to make it appear that they are sorting it all out.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Schools face random checks for bribery

Post by crazy88 »

Mmmm

Can just imagine it.

"Have you been taking bribes from parents?

" No, of course not"

" Well chuck me a few quid and that is what I will report back to my superiors along with their cut"

Or am I being cynical? :roll:

Crazy 88