Classics & Best Sellers Translated to Thai

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
PeteC

Classics & Best Sellers Translated to Thai

Post by PeteC »

Spitfire and HHF discussing the Lord of The Rings books on another thread. The thought arose concerning the above. I wonder how many really good Western books are translated to Thai? Does anyone know the rules, do all need to be censored and chopped to pieces before they're allowed on sale? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Classics & Best Sellers Translated to Thai

Post by Spitfire »

Yes, plenty of best sellers are translated but probably at the bequest of and under the supervision of the book publisher, I would have thought.

My wife has "The Hobbit" in Thai, also has "Angels and Demons" plus "The Davinci Code" amongst others.

Seems to be a whole industry revolving around it. She says that they are mostly fairly well done too.

:cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I tried to find The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings in Thai because I thought my wife would enjoy them more. She reads English but gets bogged down in large books and bored with them whereas I think she would enjoy them in Thai. Where did you get The Hobbit in Thai Spitfire?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

She got it from Se-ed Books, think there is a one upstairs at Market Village if I remember properly. If it isn't in stock then reckon you could easily order it from there.

:cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I just checked out Kindle and the Sony Reader book lists and I see nothing in Thai. Barnes & Noble probably the same. Perhaps in the future when they see the market as a worthwhile opportunity.

With English focus still to take a back seat apparently, that may be sooner rather than later. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source