Govt to ban Songkran water splashing, water guns, alcohol, skimpy clothing - the Songkran 2018 thread

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Re: Police to ban Songkran water splashing on all main and secondary roads

Post by europtimiste »

As I said nothing will change: SAME...SAME...
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

traders have been asked for cooperation to not selling high pressure water guns which were made of PVC pipes as these water guns could pose threat to body parts and eyes.
You must be using a different dictionary to me!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

buksida wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:29 pm
He said these PVC water guns had been banned for sale 10 years ago.
So why the worry?
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:54 pm
traders have been asked for cooperation to not selling high pressure water guns which were made of PVC pipes as these water guns could pose threat to body parts and eyes.
You must be using a different dictionary to me!
Probably, after being a victim, I just understand what they are talking about.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Seems there has already been a raid on a toy importer in Thonburi and 192 water guns have been confiscated. The courts approved a search warrant. The toy trader can face 10 years in prison and/or a hefty fine. Looking at the pic, the guns don't look any different to the ones sold in Makro, Tesco, Big C and others. Apparently imported from China.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Toy police arrest toy arms dealer.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

192 water guns nicked? That's going to sort everything out then, isn't it?
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Suffering the Sounds of Songkran

Post by Gregjam »

As an early riser the six thirty start up of the sound systems in the Hin Lek Fai area don't wake me up. I do wonder what the reason for this is though. This morning there were two different outputs that make what is just annoying a pain. Normally by eight it is turned off too.
Looking at all the lights going up on the Pala U road and marquees etc in the grounds of the disused temple it is obvious this will be a louder than usual Songkran. No doubt there will be the usual additional noise of ambulance sirens carting the various casualties of the celebrations intermingled with the noise over the next few days too.
I hope that those who partake in the celebrations enjoy them, I will settle into my usual miserable mode at this time of the year and keep well clear of all this looking forward to everything quietening down after the weekend and (sorry) that we get some rainy weather to short out some of the unwanted noise.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: Govt to ban Songkran water splashing, water guns, alcohol, skimpy clothing - the Songkran 2018 thread

Post by 404cameljockey »

Off to Muwanna to buy pork goodies for the barbie, back home by midday and batten down the hatches until Saturday!

A Hin Lek Fai wat woke me at 7.00 yesterday with booming pop music, but no noise today.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: Govt to ban Songkran water splashing, water guns, alcohol, skimpy clothing - the Songkran 2018 thread

Post by Gregjam »

The noise was there this morning for sure and now is the usual heavy bass duh-duh duh-duh with a background of singing, talking and "music". When I drove past the whole truck was vbrating. It sounds like there are competing sources so as I live in the hillside I am probably getting the product of multiple locations building up for the party.
As far as I am concerned it is annoying but just one of the aspects of living here. At least it will all be over after the weekend and we do not have to suffer as much as those living in the north.
Perhaps I can use this as an excuse to wind up the volume on my Led Zep and AC/DC cds and when the missus complains tell her I am doing a Farang/Thai fusion style celebration!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

@Gregjam, not sure which disused temple you mean, but Wat Petcharawut (sp.), just round the bend at the top of the hill, has a temple fair going on until the end of next week according to the signs I've seen. Nothing like a Thai temple for some quiet contemplation is there?
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Yes hhinner, that is the temple. After further checks with the wife it sounds like the temple may well be active again soon. It was quite a while ago it shut down due to some murders there. Back to the usual murdering of the locals ears now. I remember going there about 26 years ago to sort out an auspicious day and time to move into our rented place in Soi Rai Noon. The nice abbot gave us the time etc and then said that it would be unlucky for the mother in law to visit until about three days later.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I found a picture of a poster advertising a similar fair at the temple for Chinese New Year, but I don't think it happened and maybe got postponed until now. It would be a bit unusual to have fairs only 2 months apart.

Soi Rai Noon would have been a bit quieter 26 years ago.
Gus
Guru
Guru

Songkran

Post by Gus »

I have just watched some footage of Songkran celebrations on Soi Selakem and it looked very very very busy, far more busier than I have ever seen it in high season.
Is this because it is mainly Thai people and they come into the Bintabaht block just once a year to celebrate Songkran?
Also, I thought that there was an unwritten rule that Water Pistols/guns were not used after 6-00pm?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It's a couple of hours away from 6pm. But you are correct in that it normally stops around that time but tourist revelers don't know that and carry on regardless and get the frowns from the locals.