Loy Krathong 2015

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Loy Krathong 2015

Post by Khundon1975 »

As for any fixed dates for Thai events, you need to put aside at least 5 days, in order to be sure you hit the correct day/days.

:cuss:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

3 days of Loy Krathong events start in Hua Hin today. I've been looking out for event posters, but haven't seen anything but 'pay for' events a dinners. IMHO paying to float a little boat in a hotel pool is not what the event is all about, although I know many do it, and enjoy the experience.

My guess at the moment is:

Khao Tao - will be the big event, probably tomorrow evening, but extremely difficult to get to dut to megga traffic congestion. Does anybody know for sure?

Hua Hin Parade - traditionally would be tomorrow evening as the sun goes down. Does anybody know if it's on? If so, where does it start, where does it finish and what day/time please?

I believe there are 2 days of events at the park beside the Tessebahn. Am I thinking correctly? What's on and when please.

Publicity this year is either non-existent, or I'm looking in the wrong places. Does anybody know what is actually going on please? Post here if you can help.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It obviously depends where you live, but for "floating your boat" a lot of people launch them along the Klong. As an aside, my wife heard on the morning loudspeaker broadcast that they have supposedly banned the launching of balloons.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

[quote="Dannie Boy"As an aside, my wife heard on the morning loudspeaker broadcast that they have supposedly banned the launching of balloons.[/quote]
:laugh: So we won't see any this year then :laugh:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:[quote="Dannie Boy"As an aside, my wife heard on the morning loudspeaker broadcast that they have supposedly banned the launching of balloons.
:laugh: So we won't see any this year then :laugh:[/quote]
Actually I think the main theme was against shops selling them - anybody found doing so would/could be fined - even though I said it, it's probably less of an issue for those launching them.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

By balloons do they mean the flying lanterns? The lanterns they've banned in many places throughout the country, or made Nov. 25 and Dec. 31 the only two permitted nights. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:By balloons do they mean the flying lanterns? The lanterns they've banned in many places throughout the country, or made Nov. 25 and Dec. 31 the only two permitted nights. Pete
Lanterns indeed Pete
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There were so many for sale in one shop I was in yesterday, they were getting in the way. I won't name the shop in case I'd be dropping them in it.

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

They have been banned in a couple of places because of a hazard to aircraft. Chiang Mai and Khon Khan have been quoted. Not sure that they are a problem in Hua Hin.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I would think the winds in Hua Hin are east to west, in off the sea. If that's correct they may be concerned about them landing on buildings and dry brush areas. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Let's just forget all the speculation. Bottom line is if it's fun, they'll get around to banning it sooner or later. The whole place will run like an army base eventually. :idea: Pete :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

True, but still nobody seems what's happening here in Hua Hin this year.

Points 48; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

As I understand it (I've read it somewhere) the national order was to ban them within so many kilometres of an airport. Some districts (Chiang Mai for example) have put there own bans in place. I've not heard of any bans in HH.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Any public firework displays planned over the next 3 nights..??
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

I have been told that there will be something at 19 rai today and tomorrow. Anyone know where that might be?