Hua Hin Car Boot Sale

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Big Boy

Hua Hin Car Boot Sale

Post by Big Boy »

Mrs BB has kindly informed me that I'm taking her to Sunday's inaugural Car Boot Sale, being held at the Zab Wer Restaurant on Soi 112, Hua Hin :shock: . She says that she doesn't want to buy anything :dance: , but just look around :banghead: because she's never seen a Car Boot Sale in Thailand before.

Personally, I'd be quite happy if I never see a Car Boot Sale here. The danger is that she becomes addicted :cry: .

She reliably tells me that the Car Boot Sales will be held on the first Sunday of each month.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Hua Hin Car Boot Sale

Post by dtaai-maai »

Time?
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Sorry, 9 'til 1 :oops:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

They do have various car-boot sales in Bangkok. Just the same as the UK ---- someone's rubbish is someone else's treasure!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I know - I hated them in the UK (where Mrs BB was addicted), and I'm sure I'll hate them as much here :D . I just wish somebady hadn't told Mrs BB about the Hua Hin Car Boot Sale. Don't get me wrong, I wish them every success, but not with me trapsing around.

They have one in Bang Saphan as well http://www.bangsaphanguide.com/forum/vi ... ?f=3&t=711 .

Points 41; Position 18
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Plenty of nice places to sit and watch the madness ensue!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

IMHO, a complete waste of time, but that is only my opinion. There were only 5 cars, but Mrs BB thoroughly enjoyed herself for 45 minutes. She hopes it will get better/bigger, and has told me that we are definitely going to the next one :banghead: :banghead:

The only good thing for me was the little coffee hut in the car park does a nice Latte :D

Points 41; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Is this what it sounds like. People fill the trunks of their cars with used stuff they no longer want and try to sell it, like a garage sale or yard sale in the U.S.?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, that's it. There are a couple of photos on our Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/huahinforum .

Points 41; Position 18
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

I looked at the photos on Facebook. Not many there, but it may catch on, once word is out :) Can foreigners sell at one without problem? If so it maybe a "loophole" in the Thai laws about foreign workers :P What is stopping anyone selling goods from the back of their cars I wonder? It maybe a way for people to "top up" their income.
I know that there has been enquiries into "sellers" in the UK boot sales as there are a lot of people on benefits who run a weekend business at the boot sales. They sell perfume, Jewellery, electrical goods, clothes etc. I went to one recently last summer, lots of professionals there. I picked up a silver teapot for £5!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... kings.html

Maybe the HH boot sale will get as big as this one below :wink:

[attachment=0]imagesCA1X3P85.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
imagesCA1X3P85.jpg
imagesCA1X3P85.jpg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 767 times
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

What about the MIB? Can a farang sell or does his Thai lady/friend have to do the business? Work permit violation springs to mind. Was the first one as advertised in AWOL cancelled due to bad weather?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

If we were to believe all the nonsense spouted about work permits, shopping or driving a car would be enough to get you arrested.
This is the way
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

dtaai-maai wrote:If we were to believe all the nonsense spouted about work permits, shopping or driving a car would be enough to get you arrested.

Shopping or driving a car is not quite the same a earning money from selling something on a regular basis :? I think also you could not set up a stall in a market place without one.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I wasn't actually referring to your post, Siani, as any farang stupid enough to think they could make a living out of boot fairs in Hua Hin would deserve much worse than deportation.
This is the way
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

dtaai-maai wrote:I wasn't actually referring to your post, Siani, as any farang stupid enough to think they could make a living out of boot fairs in Hua Hin would deserve much worse than deportation.
Yes, agree DM, but supposing someone set up on a regular basis selling say...toothbrushes etc. there is a possibility of earning a bit, if the boot sale expanded in size.
A person on a retirement pension, who is just about scraping through to make ends meet in HH, could bring out a suitcase of "goodies" to flog at the boot sales. You will be surprised what old cameras , watches, pretty teacups etc make in Thailand. There is quite a market for it. I have a friend who ships out part containers to the north of Thailand from the UK, loaded with things to sell over there. His wife is Thai, so all is above board, work permit wise. A nice little earner!