CJ's Epic 40th Birthday Bash! Friday 7 September

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Cing Jai

CJ's Epic 40th Birthday Bash! Friday 7 September

Post by Cing Jai »

Hey all,

So, I'm new in town, you probably know that from my other posts in the forum, and I don't really know anyone here outside of work. My 40th is coming up 7 Sept. which is a Friday and I want to do something epic! I've never really had a big birthday party and I haven't even been to or hosted a respectable party for some time now so, it's well overdue. 40 is a pretty good milestone, some call it the half-way mark but when you've lived hard (ok, ok played hard) like me I think I might reach the end of the tunnel before 80. :mrgreen:

Anyways, I need your help with planning and, most importantly, with celebrating my 40th! :cheers: :cheers:

I'd like to do something a bit different than the usual get smashed at a bar or at least do something a bit different before finishing off with getting smashed at a bar. :laugh:

Here's what I'm thinking so far...

I'll spring for a big tent on the beach, tables/chairs, big icechest and a BBQ grill or 3. I'll probably also need a generator. Maybe there's a grillmaster here who has a super BBQ they could bring? I'm not sure how many people might show up for this but I want to have plenty of excellent food on hand, I'm thinking to plan on feeding about 100 people. Does that sound right? It should be more than enough to cover people from work but, I'm not sure how many might show up from HHF? I'm thinking BBQ ribs, burgers, some chickens and 4 or so side dishes. Suggestions for sides are most welcome and at least 2 or 3 should be vegetarian. I was a chef in another lifetime so rest assured gentlemen the chow will be top notch! If you want a steak you'll probably want to choose your cut and beef origin so BYO. :wink: I think birthday boy will be having a steak with A1 sauce but I'll have the HP on hand too for my mates from Blighty. :)

I might even spring for the first batch of grog. Does anyone know if you can rent a keg or 1/2 (pony) keg with cooler for a day or 3? :cheers:
Cocktails might be easier... A dozen bottles of booze, maybe gin vodka and whisky and mixers; soda, tonic, maybe OJ no, cranberry and done. I'll need a bartender now though any volunteers? :mrgreen:
There will be plenty of non alcoholic options on hand too of course.

I'll get a sound system but nothing too blaring Thai style, I like to be able to hear and enjoy the conversation! I'll let anyone DJ from my 43,000 song music library or maybe there's an amateur DJ out there who would like to take the lead? I'd like it to be my music being my party and all but I have a *very* wide selection including, but hardly limited to, classic rock / progressive rock, punk, country and Thai. I'm a member at an incredible private BitTorrent site for music and I have a couple invites there right now. If you know what that means and are interested PM me. 8)

So, thinking about kicking off food at about 5:00. I'd like this to be a family affair until the sun goes down and the kids go home. My colleagues, Thai and farang, will be there with their families so please bring yours too! After sunset I'd like to have a nice fire, might be too warm for a bonfire but it keeps the skeeters away and reminds me of home. Oh, I'll have a liter or 2 of the natural, no DEET!, mozzie spray on hand for all. I hear the skeeters on the beach at night are a force to be reckoned with. If the skeeters are really that bad I'm willing to consider other options.

So, come 8:30 or 9 I reckon people will be ready to leave the beach for a proper drinking session somewhere and we'll just decide on where to go from there. My girl will be with me and she's very open minded so won't have a problem with a bar that has bar girls but, I won't be doing anything on those 2 or 3 sois where the real go go bars are. That's a bit much.

So, what do you guys think?
How many people may show up from HHF?
Where is there a beach that could I do this?
I'll need a bathroom solution for at least the ladies?
Any ideas how much it might all cost?
Anyone know one of these outfits who will bring the whole kit (chairs/tables, lights, tent, ice, etc..) and take it all away?
Maybe I should get a Westerner who is already in the restaurant business to handle the food? Hmm, I know the guys who run Magaritas Mexican in the Night Market, maybe I should talk to them...

No gifts please! But, contributions for the party such as firewood, booze, food, loaning your grill or generator or time and expertise for the bash, etc... would be very much welcome and appreciated!

Looking forward to your replies and I feel like cracking a beer already but my god it's raining hard right now. :D
--CJ 8)
pharvey

Re: CJ's Epic 40th Birthday Bash! Friday 7 September

Post by pharvey »

Unfortunately we'll be arriving in HH a few months late, but hope everything goes well for you. :cheers: :cheers:

Just a thought, but unless you're absolutely set on the beach, why have the hassle of organising everything yourself when there's several establishments around (a few that are sponsors on this forum) that are set up to do everything for you? Obviously there could well be differences in pricing, but why not make a few enquiries - can't hurt, and at least you'll get an idea on costs.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

Im not really sure what you are planning is possible in hua hin(party on beach)but sounds good to me,i'll be up in mid to late august to test the waters of life in hua hin and i'm up for a big b'day bash, so mate count me in, my 40th was 5 years ago in oz...but thailand,now thats the place to party....
greystag52
Rookie
Rookie

Post by greystag52 »

well cj i am 60 on the 7th of september,pity im not going to be there we could have had a couple of bears together all the best mick.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

greystag52 wrote:...pity im not going to be there we could have had a couple of bears together...
Wow, you guys really like to party...! :laugh:
This is the way
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Won't be out until a week or so later but wouldn't mind an invite to the torrent site, is it demonoid?

Hope your party goes well.

:cheers:
traveller2
Professional
Professional

Post by traveller2 »

Unfortunately we wont be in HH at that time, but I hope everything works out and its a fabulous day for you CJ. What you have in mind sounds like a great idea though and im sure there will be plenty to represent the forum there. :thumb:
wysiwyg (what you see is what you get)
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Stop the worry and hazzle. Follow the suggestion above and have sombody local arrange it for you. That should include, tents, chairs, tables, decor, stage with sound and lighting, entertainment of various kinds including dancers, live music (Thai or western) and food (suggestion: a buffet and a roast pig). All you want to supply yourself is booze, sodas and beer (drinking glasses and tableware optional). And you will be surprised how low the all inclusive cost is. Have a pleasant and painless succes party
But ferget the Hua Hin beach, that's a no-no. Talk to your neighbors about locking the soi for the evening and have it in your soi. That's what people do. Or if there is a private pool area near you, have it there. Don't ferget to invite the neighbors. Have a smashing party!
:dance: :dance: :dance: :cheers:
A friend is only one click away
fat mick

Post by fat mick »

Well Cj can you hold it till December and have a late one then i can make it ,Only jokeing have a good time hope it goes well :cheers:
Cing Jai

Post by Cing Jai »

I can see I am going to have to have a couple makeup parties for all the people who can't be there, what a pity :D
Lung Per wrote:Stop the worry and hazzle. Follow the suggestion above and have sombody local arrange it for you. That should include, tents, chairs, tables, decor, stage with sound and lighting, entertainment of various kinds including dancers, live music (Thai or western) and food (suggestion: a buffet and a roast pig). All you want to supply yourself is booze, sodas and beer (drinking glasses and tableware optional). And you will be surprised how low the all inclusive cost is. Have a pleasant and painless succes party
But ferget the Hua Hin beach, that's a no-no. Talk to your neighbors about locking the soi for the evening and have it in your soi. That's what people do. Or if there is a private pool area near you, have it there. Don't ferget to invite the neighbors.
Yea, the more I thought about it today the more I agree. I love your idea of closing off the soi too. Heck, my place has a courtyard area, I can do it right here! Why is the beach a no-no, mosquitos or no good sandy beach to do it? There must be a big sala or something somewhere on the beach I could rent. It sounds like you've done something like this before, would you mind sending me a PM? ;)
greystag52 wrote:well cj i am 60 on the 7th of september,pity im not going to be there we could have had a couple of bears together all the best mick.
Wow, it's too bad we can't celebrate together. I'm always up for a bear so maybe we can do something for 41 and 61 together!

I guess the only question I really have until I do more research then is what's wrong with the beach? I want a beach fire. I could move it to Cha Am but I know less people would come.

:cheers: CJ
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I guess the only question I really have until I do more research then is what's wrong with the beach? I want a beach fire. I could move it to Cha Am but I know less people would come.
Quite a few years ago, this website had a party with a beach fire from one of the beach restaurants on Khao Takiap beach, so if that is what you want, perhaps you could have a look down that way.
Personally, unfortunately I won't be in Hua Hin until later in September or early October.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

New Year's Party - 2012, Hua Hin beach. I'm guessing fireworks/bonfires will be a no-no.

Seriously though, IMHO too much to take on organising and responsibility wise - it's your 40th for Christ's sake - enjoy it and let the organisation be done by someone else!! Get someone who knows what they are doing (zero offense) to organise for you and take the hassle and stress away - not something you need I'm guessing. The suggestion by LP of shutting down the Soi and having a "Soi Party" is spot on - you definitely need to look at this one!

Anyway, as said before - hope all goes well, and above all ENJOY!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

'Mr. Tons' beach bar/restaurant at Takiab beach will be able to do it for you but agree with Pete above about it being a lot of agg to organise and pull off right. It's the first bar at the North end of the beach, and not only has it a big beach area for their own use but there's also a massive unused area to the side of it leading to the inlet where the fishing boats go in to sleep at night, or whatever the f they do in there. He did a mates' wedding this April and the cost was very reasonable for the catering and use of the gaff. He let them in the night before to set up plus had a band/DJ/bar going 'til about 2am during the weekend when there was an alcohol ban for something or other on April 9th.

He's had BBQ nights there too with large bonfires, fireworks etc.
20120409_184221.jpg
20120409_184407b.jpg
Good luck whatever you choose...
:cheers:
SJ
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Sounds like a great plan, sure there would be a good turn out. :cheers:
Cing Jai

Post by Cing Jai »

Cancelled due to lack of funding, community interest, a long day at work I can't get out of anymore but, mostly, due to realizing I have nothing to celebrate.
To those who replied with venue and helpful suggestions I thank you very much!

P.S. I had always known I could hire people to cater to me and do it all but, when a community comes together to make something happen the feeling of satisfaction is much better. That's what I had hoped for.