Long stretches of smooth road (several km), in or near town?

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
lou
Novice
Novice

Long stretches of smooth road (several km), in or near town?

Post by lou »

Hi.
Does anyone know if there are any stretches of road in or near Hua Hin suitable for inline skating (rollerblading)?
As in at least a km long, and smooth road w/o holes, gravel etc.

Would love to spend time there again, but now I'm addicted to skating..
Big Boy

Re: Long stretches of smooth road (several km), in or near t

Post by Big Boy »

Welcome to the forum lou. I'm sure somebody will answer your question soon.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I used to see a bloke skating up and down the motorcy lane of Petchkasem Road south of the flyover from time to time, though he's probably now in a straitjacket, as you'd have to be mad to even think of using that road unless you were unbreakable.

I can't think of anywhere that meets your specs and is safe. Maybe you could try a university campus, the Air Force base or persuade someone to let you use the airport?
Thinking about it, the Air Force base may not be a bad place to start. :thumb:
This is the way
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Hi and welcome. I'm sure you'll find many suitable roads in and around Hua-Hin, despite what some residents might say. Just a few months back there was a guy, who I think was from Austria, that used to go up and down soi 6 (once you pass Wat Borfai Temple) with his roller blades and two of those stick things you use when you ski. There's also a young Thai lad just up from the temple who is always out and about with his roller blades. So, soi 6 is one option, but remember, this advice doesn't come free...............if you see a bald dude sitting having a beer, you can stop and buy a round......lol.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
lou
Novice
Novice

Post by lou »

Thanks for the tips, and the welcomes.

If I can find a few decent adjoining roads I'll be alright.
I've done roads with a lot of traffic before, but I generally stay off them if I can. Are there roads that are semi-safe perhaps?
The air force base sounds interesting, might be worth checking out. Quite a way out of town though, if I'm not mistaken.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Palm Hills would probably do the trick nicely, or that beach at Pine somethingorother a few kms south of HH - turn left at the petrol station and tell the nice soldier you're going to the ATM.
This is the way
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Like I said in my last response, soi 6 is perfectly safe. If coming from the main road, head up over the railways line, carry on up and cross the klong road and then take a right. From there on you'll have a couple of kilometers, and if you head straight, towards Kor Sor resort, the road is basically brand new and also very quite. This is one reason why many cyclists head this way as well.

Enjoy
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Just a few months back there was a guy, who I think was from Austria, that used to go up and down soi 6 (once you pass Wat Borfai Temple) with his roller blades and two of those stick things you use when you ski.
I used to see a bloke skating up and down the motorcy lane of Petchkasem Road south of the flyover from time to time
Yes, the past tense........ironically.

Sound like a rather dangerous hobby for these roads to me, I'd definitely take the previous posters' advice and find somewhere that is not a public through fare.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Takiap wrote:So, soi 6 is one option, but remember, this advice doesn't come free...............if you see a bald dude sitting having a beer, you can stop and buy a round......lol.
:cheers:
And if he is not having a beer, then it is not Takiap! :rasta:

The section of road towards the Big Budda on the hill would probably be ideal. There is a long straight flat section, followed by a gentle climb up the hill towards the Big Budda. Very rarely see any traffic on it, and what does go there is just local as it is not a through road. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Soi 112 has recently been resurfaced and usually doesn't have much traffic, however with the two new floating markets out there, the traffic may pick up now, especially on weekends and holidays.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

If you want to get out of town for a skate, you could check out the unused airfield by the river in Paknampran, it's used for drag racing a couple of times a month. Follow the signs to 'Irrigation Office 14' from Phetkasem Road, and you will find it. There's nothing much else there though, looks like a good fishing spot, not sure how well inline skating and fishing go together!