Hua Hin to Prachuab Khiri Khan by train

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Hua Hin to Prachuab Khiri Khan by train

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:23 am I was quite shocked at some of the prices quoted there. Sun Beach - we've stayed there. Definitely didn't pay anywhere near that amount. Mind you, worth every Baht when the owner goes on a rant - Basil Faulty eat your heart out.

Also, Green Papaya. Is that the hotel MDMK talks about? 5x the price MDMK paid :?
Hmm, maybe new owners? Tripadviser comments worth reading!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

laphanphon wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:06 am Not hundreds, but you'll have no problem finding something for everyone,
Considering all of the new places that have opened up in Prachuap over the past couple of years I would say there are well over a hundred rooms in the sub-1000 baht bracket. Prachuap Beach Hotel, where we have stayed many a time, has 36 rooms alone - most under 700 baht.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:23 am Also, Green Papaya. Is that the hotel MDMK talks about? 5x the price MDMK paid :?
No, we stayed in the hotel on the airbase. It's really basic. Large rooms, clean and the airco worked well, but it did feel a bit like Butlins circa 1975, sparse, functional, a bit dog-eared and tired. We only stayed there the one night and it was handy for the langurs as I could stay with them till late then wander back up at first light.

Green Papaya looks lovely but the price is just silly.
denis72
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denis72 »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:12 am Don't take this the wrong way, because I really like Prachuap, but life is almost non-existent. It is such a sleepy hollow.

denis72, I'm not sure if you know the geography, but I'd be surprised if Dan Singkorn was anywhere near the mini-van routes. You could also have a problem getting back to Prachuap. Apologies if you've done your homework already, and have a cunning plan.
I know geography but I don't know the mini-van routes. No plan yet so no problem yet. Maybe Hua Hin to PKK then another mini-van or any transportation to Dan Singkorn, that's really not important. I have more than a month to decide if I will go to PKK.
Tahnks for your answer.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:12 am Don't take this the wrong way, because I really like Prachuap, but life is almost non-existent. It is such a sleepy hollow.

denis72, I'm not sure if you know the geography, but I'd be surprised if Dan Singkorn was anywhere near the mini-van routes. You could also have a problem getting back to Prachuap. Apologies if you've done your homework already, and have a cunning plan.
I drove there this morning and didn’t see any sign of a minivan service at Dan Singkorn itself. My first visit there, but we’ll worth it and everything was much cheaper than HH prices
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Denis 72, would renting a car for a day or two be an option for you? HH to PKK and surrounding area is really easy to do. Certainly in the day time. Google maps works a treat.
denis72
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denis72 »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:48 am
denis72 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:35 pm 1,000 B for a room which is not luxurious at all is expensive
I'd love to know where you've found a luxurious room for 1k bht! :D
When I read a comment '1,000 B for a room which is not luxurious at all', I understand '1,000 B for a shabby dirty room, no aircon, no fridge, bedbugs etc.".
I can find (I found already) many nice rooms in different towns in Thailand for 1,000 B or less. 'Nice' meaning not dirty, with flat tv, aircon, fridge.
If you compare what I consider 'not luxurious at all' and what I found, what I found can be called luxurious :D
I don't need luxury but if I can avoid bedbugs and have aircon in the room, I will be more than happy. TV and fridge are not important.
I searched already for hotels in PKK and I found Prachuap Beach Hotel : 692 THB aircon, fridge, tv, clean room (on the picture), sea view. For a small town like PKK, I guess it can be called luxury.
denis72
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denis72 »

MDMK wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:39 pm Denis 72, would renting a car for a day or two be an option for you? HH to PKK and surrounding area is really easy to do. Certainly in the day time. Google maps works a treat.
I am not comfortable with driving on the left side of the road, I've tried a few times already. I spent too many years on the good side of the road, the right one ! :D
Money is not a problem.
And moving around is not difficult when you can manage to speak thai.
I don't know yet if I will be alone when going there. If with a Thai, I would have bothered you all for nothing.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

denis72 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:44 pm
When I read a comment '1,000 B for a room which is not luxurious at all', I understand '1,000 B for a shabby dirty room, no aircon, no fridge, bedbugs etc.".
This is why I hate commenting on accommodations. Everyone's perceptions are different. :oops:

The hotel I referred to was the one on the airbase. Ao Manao Beach Hotel I think it's called. I find it basic. But I normally stay in international chains, 4 or 5 stars. But to be accurate and fair to the hotel on the airbase.... It is scrupulously clean. It most definitely doesn't have bed bugs. It does have aircon (very good aircon actually). The rooms are slightly shabby in as far as they could be doing with modernising, but they are ok. The rooms do have fridges and they also have flat screen tv's. It has a massive well maintained pool right on the beach front. And the beach to the front of the hotel really is beautiful and so so clean. The military were out cleaning it at daybreak when I went for my beach walk.

So if we compare it to say the Hilton in HH, yes it's basic and not luxuruious. But if we compare it to Dennis72's idea of what I meant, then it's the Ritz Carlton.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Rooms are quite large also, though a bit spartan for furnishings. I do hope they threw a coat of paint up, since last I stayed there. The outside is much nicer, and I don't remember a pool. Though I may have simply walked out the other direction to the beach.

1000 baht for surfside, at a lovely bay......not sure what people are expecting. Hadthong is that much I think, or more, and you won't be swimming in that surf.

Dan Singkhon market is crap. OK if really bored, and have your own transport. But I certainly wouldn't pay to go there. Really nice ride and scenery, but that's everywhere.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

laphanphon wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:23 am
Dan Singkhon market is crap. OK if really bored, and have your own transport. But I certainly wouldn't pay to go there. Really nice ride and scenery, but that's everywhere.
I think it depends what you are looking for - we went there specifically to buy a table and we also ended up buying a rocking chair, a stool, a mirror and other bits and pieces. The prices were far less than what you would pay in HH, the quality was good and best of all, within an hour of returning home, a pickup arrived with everything delivered at no extra cost - that’s a 134 km each way journey.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

MDMK wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:59 pm
Big Boy wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:23 am Also, Green Papaya. Is that the hotel MDMK talks about? 5x the price MDMK paid :?
No, we stayed in the hotel on the airbase. It's really basic. Large rooms, clean and the airco worked well, but it did feel a bit like Butlins circa 1975, sparse, functional, a bit dog-eared and tired. We only stayed there the one night and it was handy for the langurs as I could stay with them till late then wander back up at first light.

Green Papaya looks lovely but the price is just silly.
So, is Green Papaya a second hotel on the base, or is the map misleading? I've never seen a second hotel, but when I switched my map to satellite, there was definitely no hotel where the pin indicated,
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:54 am
I think it depends what you are looking for - we went there specifically to buy a table and we also ended up buying a rocking chair, a stool, a mirror and other bits and pieces. The prices were far less than what you would pay in HH, the quality was good and best of all, within an hour of returning home, a pickup arrived with everything delivered at no extra cost - that’s a 134 km each way journey.
It's certainly crap compared to when the stalls were amongst the jungle, rather than the new monstrosity they built, but I agree it's good for certain types of furniture. I bought a table, bed and other bits from there as well and let the other half do the haggling. As you say, great value.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

caller wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:32 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:54 am

It's certainly crap compared to when the stalls were amongst the jungle, rather than the new monstrosity they built, but I agree it's good for certain types of furniture. I bought a table, bed and other bits from there as well and let the other half do the haggling. As you say, great value.
as I mentioned in a previous post, this was my first visit to Dan Singkhon so I have nothing else to compare it to, but we managed to find what we were looking for at about 60% of the price you would pay in HH, so by my reckoning that makes it worth a visit if you’re in the market for wooden furniture.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:18 am So, is Green Papaya a second hotel on the base, or is the map misleading? I've never seen a second hotel, but when I switched my map to satellite, there was definitely no hotel where the pin indicated,

This is too weird, it's in Khao Takiab!!!

yesterday I looked and it was showing as sea front PKK town, I think that was on booking.com. Now I looked on Airbnb and it says the following

Baan Thai street hosts a terrace of Thai houses, home to both permanent residents and holiday makers. Quiet and tranquil, this is the perfect spot to relax and is popular with families.
More information

The beach is close by with swimming, water sports and great beach restaurants serving up some of the best food in Hua Hin.

Transport

Our street is located just around the corner from Khao Takiab's bus stops, with buses going into town frequently through the day. Tuk-tuks are also always available, and we can book these for you from the coffee shop.