Burma Border to Gulf of Thailand

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
PeteC

Burma Border to Gulf of Thailand

Post by PeteC »

Looking at a map it appears that the narrowest part of Thailand between the Burma border and the Gulf is at a place named Hui Sai between Hua Hin and Bangsapan. Does anyone know the distance at the narrowest point? If the map scale I'm seeing is correct, it looks about 10km or less.

Also, are there any roads in the area that lead up to the border, any interesting villages to visit? There seems to be a joint Burma/Thailand national park that begins near Hui Sai named Lenya National Park. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: Burma Border to Gulf of Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

We drove there last time I was in Thailand. I don't know the distance, but I think you're about right. They have a really cheap market immediately before the border crossing.
2008053125n.JPG
Probably my son-in-law was focused on getting to the market for his orchids, but I didn't see much of interest on the way out there. I'm sure others will tell me what I missed.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The answer is probably no but I'll ask anyway. Can foreigners use that border crossing? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It depends upon you definition of foreigner :D , but no.

Having looked at the area, you wouldn't have much trouble by-passing it though.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote:It depends upon you definition of foreigner :D , but no.

Having looked at the area, you wouldn't have much trouble by-passing it though.
The non-Thai/Burmese type. :laugh: I'm fishing for an easy 'stamp out-stamp in' location but that would be too good to be true so close to Hua Hin. Pete :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

It's not for westerners, Pete, just Thai and Burmese.
Closest point for us to cross is in Ranong.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

lomuamart wrote:It's not for westerners, Pete, just Thai and Burmese.
Closest point for us to cross is in Ranong.
I was afraid so and unfortunate. I think those in the Hua Hin area have the furthest to go to find a farang immigration check point, except perhaps for those smack dab in the middle of central Thailand. Pete :cheers:
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

6-7 years ago we actually had our Hua Hin Immigration office only 3-4 clicks below the Sing Khorn border crossing.
Every 3 months we did the trip.
On one occasion I asked for permission to cross the border and to my surprise the chief of the guards said yes, but only within sight of the border guards of course.
So I went about 100 meters in no man's land, took a few pictures and hurried back to safety in Thailand.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

As to the distance at the narrowest point, only last week someone told me that Thailand was only 12km wide at one point South of hua Hin, so that must be it!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

There is a signpost on the Petchkasem Road just south of the turn off to Dan Singkhon that marks the narrowest point of Thailand between the sea and Burma. I vaguely recollect it was 10.7km. Definitely less than 11.

Great market to go to in the morning and then on to Prachuap/Ao Manao after.
Talk is cheap
bajm

Post by bajm »

This is the signpost:

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I wonder if there's a route that you could walk it; you could cross the country and be back in time for lunch!
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

I think the Hash did a Burma to the Gulf of siam run a few years ago
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I think the Hash did a Burma to the Gulf of siam run a few years ago
I'm not positive, but I think they have an annual border to border cross Thailand run (or possibly bike) where they bill it as a Burma to Cambodia run across the country... then they run the narrowest point on both sides of the bay... not sure where that would be on the other side. Any ideas Pete?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Looking at a map the narrowest point on the east side is very tiny, probably less than 3 km. It's south of Trat near Khlong Yai along highway 318 where the Cambodian border almost hugs the Gulf. Pete :cheers: