Moving from Holland

Image Image Image Image Forum for discussion in all other European langauges.
Big Boy

Re: Moving from Holland

Post by Big Boy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:20 am

That's right Vinny, as long as you avoid the mainstream shops, and find a proper Thai furniture shop, you'll be amazed at how cheap things can be. I've been watching people on classified selling second hand furniture bought from 'reputable' furniture shops for years. They are often asking prices 2 or 3 times what you need to pay for brand new stuff.

Shop around.
Carabao Cup Round 1Bristol City 0 - 1 Plymouth Argyle :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 1; Position 16

poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:13 am

BigBoy wrote:proper Thai furniture shop
I have been here 9 years and never found one yet!
Unless shoddy cheap chinese flatpack or village quality hand finished old fashioned (not antique) dark hardwood or crudely constructed ply is what you require.

Cheaper usually means inferior in both materials and workmanship.
Export Quality furniture is usually factory made and available from quality shops. This is the only furniture that will stand the test of time and be able to be of any use secondhand. With the exception of heavy expensive teak type furniture which is not well suited to many modern western home designs that are popular in Hua Hin.
no more dePreston

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:25 am

I suppose it depends what you want the furniture for. If you want it as an investment/heirloom, then you're probably right.

If you want everyday functional furniture that will last you a good few years until your wife decides she wants something different, then you don't need to spend the type of money it would cost to ship from Europe. We have not spent a fortune on furnishing our house, but at the same time, have not purchased shoddy cheap chinese flatpack or village quality hand finished old fashioned (not antique) dark hardwood or crudely constructed ply.
Carabao Cup Round 1Bristol City 0 - 1 Plymouth Argyle :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 1; Position 16

poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:43 am

I too when I first came here bought what I thought was okay quality from local Thai shops. I later learned that this was false economy. I was here before most furniture shops and choice was limited.
I do not want heirlooms but like quality - Thai manufacturers supplying local market do no have this in my experience. I have furnished several homes here and overseen many more I have also scoured manufacturing outlets in Chaing Mai and other areas. The only quality and consistency was within factories that exported abroad.
I think you are getting confused as to prices being high and profit margin. Quality is available at affordable prices. Locals tend to rely upon furniture retail shops who to be fair do need to make a living.
In my opinion and many others judging from the houses containing their furniture, the best choice of available quality furniture that has been sourced in Thailand is at Beautiful World or for traditional rustic hand made Siam Old Teak. That said I had the time to find my own usually in shows or factories and consequently cut out the middle man and used neither.
no more dePreston

elem
Professional
Professional

Post by elem » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:58 pm

My experience with furniture here is that it does not matter if you get high or lower quality....it "wears" out much faster in this climate....sun, humidity, dust etc seems to affect just about anything you've got.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.[Benjamin Franklin]

keesvalk
Amateur
Amateur

Post by keesvalk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:00 pm

vanaf Nederland is Varenkamp de beste. zijn al 50 jaar atief in verhuizingen van NL naar elk land terwereld. Heb ze zelf 12x gebruikt. maar ze zijn niet goedkoop omdat ze gewend zijn de door bedrijven uitgezonden expats te verhuizen

trevorcasto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trevorcasto » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Hello,
Have you managed to find a company that offers good services? I'm looking for one also offering reliable services
Thanks in advance