The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Movies on DVD

Post by GLCQuantum »

After the two poor to average movies I watched (purge 2 and Edge of Tomorrow) I'm hoping that 'Deliver us From Evil' brings my faith back in Hollywood movies.

Only time will tell...
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Cold in July 2014

A well acted gripping slice of pulp fiction thriller. Richard is a family man. He accidentally kills a home intruder. It's Texas, so the legal system says thank you. Those who know Richard want to high five him and say things like 'I didn't know you had it in you'. Richard and his wife are shell shocked. Then they're told the perp's daddy, Russel, a career criminal with a long and violent record, just got out of prison.

It starts as a simple revenge story. Then the twists and consequences build along with the pace. It's a small movie of a small story where the impacts are anything but small. Revenge and justice mix because, as they say in Texas, "he needed killin'".

Recommended because Hollywood doesn't make seedy pulp anymore, but also for the performances. Michael C Hall (Dexter, Six Feet Under), displays quite a range on top of his varying degrees of emotional shock. Sam Sheapard (best known for film roles in the late 70s - early '80s) gives Russel, a grizzled bad-ass man of few words, depth and humanity at crucial plot points. Don Johnson (Miami Vice) plays a stock character, the larger than life retired lawman turned private investigator who's all show and style until he needs to let his bad-assatude loose - and he plays it well, with some shades of gray for a character type usually written and portrayed in black and white.

Don't watch the trailer. It gives away all of the twists.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

^^ My type of movie. Enjoyed it
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

August Osage County 2013

A look at the lives of the strong-willed women of the Weston family, whose paths have diverged until a family crisis brings them back to the Oklahoma house they grew up in, and to the dysfunctional woman who raised them.

Excellent performances from a star studded cast especially Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts. A bit slow at times but worth a watch through to the bombshell finale.

Those of you who have been to that part of the US will empathise with the characters portrayed. Now I know how 'hillbillies' came about :duck:

Not a movie to cheer you up but well worth a watch :cheers: :cheers:

ps Tracy Letts the writer objected to the casting of three Brits in major roles but was overruled.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'm looking forward to this one: MR TURNER

This is the way
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Us too.

There's a nice interview with Timothy Spall here: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29831065

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, I was reading a review of Mr. Turner in the Times this morning and I'm looking forward to it as well. At last another movie not aimed at teenagers!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Me too.

Great press conference on YouTube

RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Hard Candy - 2005

A psychological thriller. Intense, dark, disturbing. At times it can be a tough watch - but at those times everything in the acting, script and directing is compelling you to not look away.

A teen age girl trolls the internet for a suspected pedophile. They meet, go to his place, she starts drinking ... Things are going great for the guy until he realizes he's the prey. As that scene ended I wondered how they were going to keep my interest for the next 1h 20m. Trust me, they did.

Stars Ellen Page. Directed by David Slade, who has proven he can do an excellent job with this sort of material. He produced the recent Hannibal TV series, directed 6 episodes.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Ouija

This looked really good when trailered at the cinema, and should have been released here this week - it wasn't. As the rest of the world had it in time for Halloween, I thought I'd try to download it instead. To my delight, there was a very good copy available. Downloaded very quickly, and settled down to enjoy the movie last night.

I wish I hadn't bothered. The only decent bits were also included in the trailer. Probably one of the worst horror movies I'd ever seen, and the IMDB rating of 4.5 was very generous.

My advice - don't bother with this one.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

John Wick 2014

Just wasted 90 minutes watching this crap movie :banghead:

'Legendary assassin John Wick (Keanu Reeves) retired from his violent career after marrying the love of his life. Her sudden death leaves John in deep mourning. When sadistic mobster Iosef Tarasov (Alfie Allen) and his thugs steal John's prized car and kill the puppy that was a last gift from his wife, John unleashes the remorseless killing machine within and seeks vengeance. Meanwhile, Iosef's father (Michael Nyqvist) -- John's former colleague -- puts a huge bounty on John's head.'

Got good reviews so thought I give it a spin :banghead:

Touch of modern day Rambo killing a million Russian mobsters and molls. Totally predictable. Weak plot, badly acted and a waste of time IMO
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My wife and my son's girlfriend watched it at the cinema a couple of weeks ago and came home raving about it. :?

Points 48; Position 20
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Big Boy wrote:Ouija

This looked really good when trailered at the cinema, and should have been released here this week - it wasn't. As the rest of the world had it in time for Halloween, I thought I'd try to download it instead. To my delight, there was a very good copy available. Downloaded very quickly, and settled down to enjoy the movie last night.

I wish I hadn't bothered. The only decent bits were also included in the trailer. Probably one of the worst horror movies I'd ever seen, and the IMDB rating of 4.5 was very generous.

My advice - don't bother with this one.
Shame that... was looking forward to it. I've been told by a few that the 'Annabelle' movie (another horror I was eager to watch) was rubbish too. I enjoyed 'The Conjuring', which Annabelle came from.

Good new horrors are few and far between. Horrors were all I'd watch in my teens. Had to adapt since then.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

John Wick 2014

Just wasted 90 minutes watching this crap movie :banghead:

Legendary assassin John Wick (Keanu Reeves) retired from his violent career after marrying the love of his life...
Hadn't heard of this one. If it's crap (for me), it will be the first Keanu Reeves movie that I haven't enjoyed. Very underrated actor in my opinion...
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Annabelle wasn't as good as The Conjuring, but it wasn't bad. My problem was that I was always looking for the connection between the 2, but it wasn't really there. Maybe it would have been better if they were release the right way around.

Points 48; Position 20