The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: Movies on DVD

Post by Ginjaninja »

Lost wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:34 am Just watched this really excellent Sci-fi/horror. Though a much-used storyline of tech vs humans, this really carries it well. If the movies Robocop and Transcendence had a baby, this would probably be it. Awesome (and slightly grotesque) fight scenes led by the excellent Logan Marshall-Green. This won't disappoint.

'Update'

Set in the near-future, technology controls nearly all aspects of life. But when Grey, a self-identified technophobe, has his world turned upside down, his only hope for revenge is an experimental computer chip implant called Stem.

Rotten Tomatoes - 85%

https://ytsdownload.com/upgrade-2018/

:cheers:
This should be 'Upgrade' or I think 'Stem' in the States.

Upgrade

I couldn't wait to see it so watched a crappy cam-copy. Enjoyed it none the less.
:D
GN.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

This should be 'Upgrade' or I think 'Stem' in the States.
:oops: Not sure what the ol' brain was doing while typing there. Yes, 'Upgrade'... thanks for correction. Really good movie.

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Lost wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:34 am Just watched this really excellent Sci-fi/horror. Though a much-used storyline of tech vs humans, this really carries it well. If the movies Robocop and Transcendence had a baby, this would probably be it. Awesome (and slightly grotesque) fight scenes led by the excellent Logan Marshall-Green. This won't disappoint.

'Upgrade' (fixed it for 'ya)

Set in the near-future, technology controls nearly all aspects of life. But when Grey, a self-identified technophobe, has his world turned upside down, his only hope for revenge is an experimental computer chip implant called Stem.

Rotten Tomatoes - 85%

Just finished watching it. Damn good thriller. Thanks for the recommendation.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Homer wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:16 pm

'Upgrade' (fixed it for 'ya)

Rotten Tomatoes - 85%

Just finished watching it. Damn good thriller. Thanks for the recommendation.
Glad you enjoyed it. Not sure where my head was at when I posted that as I got both the name of the movie wrong and the genre. You're right in it's a damn good thriller, not horror! :oops: :D

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Lost wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:43 pm Glad you enjoyed it. Not sure where my head was at when I posted that as I got both the name of the movie wrong and the genre. You're right in it's a damn good thriller, not horror! :oops: :D
Or maybe I got it wrong. There are horrifying elements, and conventions from the horror genre. For me, the conventions of a thriller film outweighed those of horror. Maybe that's because I'm not familiar with the current horror film conventions. The writer / director is. That's his genre. His first film was horror. It made a worldwide gross of $104 million on a budget of $1.2 million. Had no interest in that movie until seeing this one. Rotten Tomatoes starts their summary of Saw with 'Unapologetically gruesome and gleefully twisted'. I'm in.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

^
Quite similar to Gamer (Gerard Butler) and Surrogates (Bruce Willis).
Both great films and well worth the watch if you haven't already seen them.
GN.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Homer wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:22 pm
Lost wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:43 pm Glad you enjoyed it. Not sure where my head was at when I posted that as I got both the name of the movie wrong and the genre. You're right in it's a damn good thriller, not horror! :oops: :D
Or maybe I got it wrong.
Or maybe we both got it wrong. YIFY describes it as "Action / Horror / Sci-Fi / Thriller".
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Homer wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:27 pm
Homer wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:22 pm
Or maybe I got it wrong.
Or maybe we both got it wrong. YIFY describes it as "Action / Horror / Sci-Fi / Thriller".
Or we both got it partly right. Glass half full 'n all. :mrgreen:
Ginjaninja wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:22 pm ^
Quite similar to Gamer (Gerard Butler) and Surrogates (Bruce Willis).
Both great films and well worth the watch if you haven't already seen them.
GN.
Both excellent films. Seen Gamer many times now. Big fan of Gerard Butler. Aside from the brilliant 300 I thought his best was 'Law Abiding Citizen' - cracking movie that!

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Heads up...

Excellent downloads of Jurassic World - Fallen Kingdom doing the rounds. Got mine from TPB3. Very watchable (though not quite hd) copies of The Meg also there. Not watched either yet so can't comment on if they're good or not. Only checked for quality.

Edit: Just looked at my Oceans 8 download. Good almost true HD copy so that's about too. :D

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Horror movie Hereditary also about in HD now. Again, I got this off tpb3.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

OK, it's not out yet but I'm truly looking forward to this one.... CAN'T WAIT!!

Excerpt from the "Hollywood Reporter": -

"There can be no doubt concerning the ultimate outcome of Damien Chazelle’s drama about NASA’s 1969 Apollo 11 mission, which made history by putting astronauts on the moon after a series of trial-and-error attempts. It’s implicit in the title, First Man. So it’s a credit to the filmmakers and to lead actor Ryan Gosling’s thoughtfully internalized performance as Neil Armstrong that this sober, contemplative picture has emotional involvement, visceral tension and, yes, even suspense, in addition to stunning technical craft.
The extent to which mainstream audiences will respond to the lengthy film’s unfaltering restraint remains to be seen. But this is a strikingly intelligent treatment of a defining moment for America that broadens the tonal range of Chazelle, clearly a versatile talent, after Whiplash and La La Land. What is perhaps most notable is the film’s refusal to engage in the expected jingoistic self-celebration that such a milestone would seem to demand. At a time when the toxic political climate has cheapened that kind of nationalistic fervor, turning it into empty rhetoric, the measured qualities of Josh Singer’s screenplay, based on James R. Hansen’s 2005 biography of Armstrong, are to be savored.
For the boomer generation, the moon landing of Armstrong and fellow astronaut Buzz Aldrin was a formative moment, making good on the promise of John F. Kennedy’s expanded space program following mounting concern that it was an unjustified drain on taxpayer dollars, and to some degree counterbalancing the bitterness fed by Vietnam protests and growing distrust of the government."

Trailer: -

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

pharvey wrote:OK, it's not out yet but I'm truly looking forward to this one.... CAN'T WAIT!!
Aside from movies about the astronaut program and the various space missions e. g. The Right Stuff, Apollo13, From the Earth to the Moon, Hidden Figures, etc I cannot think of a movie specifically about Man Landing on the Moon. I find this absolutely amazing considering it is one of human kinds most phenomenal achievements.

I really look forward to this movie.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Lost wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:12 pm After your comment I had to google other Wes Anderson films. Tbh, I haven't really enjoyed anything he's done before that I've seen. I really enjoyed the quirkiness and humour in Isle of Dogs though. Like you say, it is 'different' and maybe not everyone's cup of tea. But I'd say, don't be completely put off it if you're not a fan of Wes Anderson's previous movies.
I finally watched it. Wow, what a treat. The humor was deadpan, clever, and didn't call attention to itself. Anderson's usual sparse and simple human dialogue worked better when spoken by dogs. Excellent voice acting. Compelling story.

Video about Anderson's choices for who speaks English, who speaks Japanese, what is subtitled, what isn't, and when the translator character translates. The video creator has done decent jobs of explaining films at a level just below the surface, while staying well away from film geek territory. Recommended for anyone who saw Isle of Dogs.

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Iron Sky 2 The Coming Race

Same director. Two of the same 'based on...' writer credits, but none of the same screenplay writers. Release date to be announced.

For those of you who missed the original:
pharvey wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:43 pm This was highlighted by SM a little while ago (cheers yet again matey :cheers: :cheers: )...... After 6 years in the making NOW IT'S HERE !!! Just not yet available for download just yet...... :cry: :cry:

And now........ the preview - and..... "Yes ladies and gentlemen, it's Mother f***ing space Nazis in a film called Iron Sky" :bow:

[Edit] For some reason I can't post the video..... anyway, link is
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

I Saw the Devil - 2010
Korean, subtitled.

Ho. Lee. Sh*t. Revenge thriller. More accurately, a dark, violent, gruesome revenge thriller.

A psycho kills an undercover cop's wife. Cop finds him. Then he follows him, extracting revenge - a bit at a time. Some of it is hard to watch. Direction, cinematography and acting are excellent. The psycho is played superbly by Min-sik Choi, best known for the title role in Oldboy.

The international version has 5 scenes as the director intended, not what was in the domestic release. You will have no problem identifying those bits. You may have trouble watching without squirming in your seat.

Excellent copy with many seeders on thepiratebay dot rocks.

My favorite source for reviews of Korean movies: http://www.listofbestkoreanmovies.com/