The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Big Boy

Re: Movies on DVD

Post by Big Boy »

Thai with subtitles?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

No subtitles.
I reckon that's the point of the film during the first half. If he can't really understand what's going on, then neither are we supposed to.
However, he's not actually discussing astrophysics with the prison population. Their taunts, their threats and so on are pretty easy to get even if I didn't understand every word.
Don't let the lack of subtitles put you off. That's the way the film is meant to be.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

^
'A Prayer Before Dawn' is now available for download on yts. They don't usually hard-code the subtitles anymore so you'll have to do a seperate download for them if you need.

A good English horror I watched the other day was 'Ghost Stories'. Martin Freeman and a few other well known English actors. Worth a watch. Also on yts to download.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

^ to add.

Subtitles on the yts download are very random (comes on for the spoken English mainly!) but, as lomuamart said, the Thai spoken is all pretty basic stuff. Subtitles are not needed at all.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Whoop Whoop! Deadpool 2 available on YTS. :D

https://ytsdownload.com/deadpool-2-2018/

Avengers Infinity War has been there for a while. Well worth watching that.

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

^ If you haven't watched the new Deadpool (or the old one) I thoroughly recommend it. Excellent stuff, exactly what you'd expect from it plus more. Borderline banned dialogue, grotesque fight scenes and Ryan Reynolds at his despicable best.

Deadpool 2 and Avengers - Infinity War both equal to best movies I've watched this year.

Another great movie I watched recently was 'Brain on Fire'. A true story about a young writer who starts suffering from manic episodes finally leading to a completely vegetative state. After being misdiagnosed countless times, she (and her family) eventually get the correct help she needs. Led by the excellent Chloe Grace Moretz (girl in the kick-ass movies) it is really worth a watch.

https://ytsdownload.com/brain-on-fire-2016/

An excellent animation to watch (probably the best of 2018 so far) is, 'Isle of Dogs'. Good for any age. If you don't enjoy it - you're dead inside.

https://ytsdownload.com/isle-of-dogs-2018/
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Lost wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:51 am An excellent animation to watch (probably the best of 2018 so far) is, 'Isle of Dogs'. Good for any age. If you don't enjoy it - you're dead inside.
It's a Wes Anderson film. Everything about his films is highly idiosyncratic. Many never manage to watch one of his films all the way through - and then never try to watch another one. You've been warned.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Homer wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:59 pm
Lost wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:51 am An excellent animation to watch (probably the best of 2018 so far) is, 'Isle of Dogs'. Good for any age. If you don't enjoy it - you're dead inside.
It's a Wes Anderson film. Everything about his films is highly idiosyncratic. Many never manage to watch one of his films all the way through - and then never try to watch another one. You've been warned.
After your comment I had to google other Wes Anderson films. Tbh, I haven't really enjoyed anything he's done before that I've seen. I really enjoyed the quirkiness and humour in Isle of Dogs though. Like you say, it is 'different' and maybe not everyone's cup of tea. But I'd say, don't be completely put off it if you're not a fan of Wes Anderson's previous movies.

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Lost wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:12 pm After your comment I had to google other Wes Anderson films. Tbh, I haven't really enjoyed anything he's done before that I've seen. I really enjoyed the quirkiness and humour in Isle of Dogs though. Like you say, it is 'different' and maybe not everyone's cup of tea. But I'd say, don't be completely put off it if you're not a fan of Wes Anderson's previous movies.
Thanks for your viewpoint. Of Anderson's films, the quirky nature of Rushmore was interesting until it was boring. Gave up on Bottle Rocket and The Life Aquatic before half way through. I enjoyed Moonrise Kingdom, much to my surprise. Perhaps it was because I enjoy the other work of the top 5 stars. I do love stop motion animation, so Isle of Dogs is downloading as I write this.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I tried Isle of Dogs yesterday - it sent me to sleep.

Points 41; Position 18
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:46 pm I tried Isle of Dogs yesterday - it sent me to sleep.
Can understand why many may not like it. It's a marmite movie I suppose. I really enjoyed it. Watched it due to the rave reviews and star studded (voice) casting, not knowing anything about the director and was pleased I did.

Here's a easy one to watch just out. Watched last night. Really good fun. Based on a true story about a group of grown ups who have played an overly competitive game of tag for 30 years. Being a fan of Ed Helms (The Hangover Trilogy) I had to watch it!

TAG

https://ytsdownload.com/tag-2018/

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My son, who normally watches movies with his eyes closed actually enjoyed it. Maybe I'm too old :oops:

Points 41; Position 18
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Just watched this really excellent Sci-fi/horror. Though a much-used storyline of tech vs humans, this really carries it well. If the movies Robocop and Transcendence had a baby, this would probably be it. Awesome (and slightly grotesque) fight scenes led by the excellent Logan Marshall-Green. This won't disappoint.

'Update'

Set in the near-future, technology controls nearly all aspects of life. But when Grey, a self-identified technophobe, has his world turned upside down, his only hope for revenge is an experimental computer chip implant called Stem.

Rotten Tomatoes - 85%

https://ytsdownload.com/upgrade-2018/

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Lost wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:51 am ^ If you haven't watched the new Deadpool (or the old one) I thoroughly recommend it. Excellent stuff, exactly what you'd expect from it plus more. Borderline banned dialogue, grotesque fight scenes and Ryan Reynolds at his despicable best.
+1

The Director's cut is available, identifiable by a 2h 13m runtime. The raunch and dialogue crossed the borderline.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

^ Thanks Homer. Will check it out.

For any Stephen King fans out there, psychological thriller/horror 'Gerald's Game' (based on King's book of the same name) is available for download. The whole movie really only has two characters. After a sex game gone wrong, a women must struggle to stay alive all the while being haunted with flashbacks from her childhood. Gerald's Game isn't a cheap thrills and jumps movie... really get's in your head this one. One point at the end, I actually found myself grimacing looking through my fingers, such was the horror facing me. :shock:

Rotten Tomatoes - 91%

https://ytsdownload.com/geralds-game-2017/