Music - what are people listening to now?

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Re: Music - what are people listening to now?

Post by Frank La Rue »

Hi Caller!

I see myself as an affocionado for ELP's music. I ran a thread for something like 7 years on" That Other Forum" and was labelled an "Uberfan" of Emerson, Lake and Palmer:

http://bkktf.com/cgi-bin/zforum/topic.c ... 13&start=0

Z - forum/ Anything goes/ Emerson Lake and Palmer,

it ran from Dec 26th 2005 till March 4th 2012 and ended with my report on the Elmersoon Lake and Palmer performance on the 2011 High voltage Festival:

"I renegaded on my promise to report on the DVD from
ELP's performance at the High Voltage Festival.

The reason for this is emotional.

In my formative years, trying to enter a career as a musician I was always an admirer of Steve Howe from the band "Yes" and his infusion of classic guitar playing in the band's music, ref intro to the song "Roundabout" from the album "Fragile" or the solo piece "Mood for a Day" from same.
However, deep down, I always felt that Greg Lake topped him in the ELP's performance from December 1970 of "Pictures at An Exhibition" where Greg Lake plays accustic guitar and sings "The Sage", before Keith Emerson throws the band into overdrive with " Blues Variations".
On the High Voltage Festival - performance, ELP plays Pictures At an Exhibition, when it comes to Greg Lake's solo part, he puts the bass guitar away an sings the ballad without playing the marvelously beautiful accustic guitar piece which is an integral part of the act.

He sings the balad only,

For someone like me, who remembers the black and white TV recording form 1970 at my age of 15 where ELP sat the new standard for rock musicians with regards to technical skills, musical performance and artistry, it wasn't sad, it was just that nothing is meant to be forever.

There is a time for peak performance (1970 - 1974 in the case of ELP) and afterwords it's for others to take over. This goes for any endeavour. There is a time for a man to let others take over and become a king maker instead of a king.

ELP should not have performed at the High Voltage Festival. They did OK, but to renegade on the bar set 41 years ago is not the way to go.

On a side note - I had actually worn out my initial DVD with the "Picture at An Exhibition" concert, and ordered a new one.
I found another DVD issue from the concert at London's Lyceum in December 1970 which includes not only the first set which is "Pictures At an Exhibition" but also the 2nd set with "Take a Pebble", "Rondo", "Knife Edge" and "Nut Rocker"

Rest in Peace Greg Lake, the documentaries from your heydays are big enough as they are, you can afford not to go on stage and embarass yourself.

For what you did to rock music in your prime - I love you."

With hindsight I should have gone and added posts for Keiths and Gregs respecitve passings. but I think the ELP music passed away with that final performance.

I agree thought- there is a Wealth of perfromances by other of their and Keiths musci in partcilar, to enjoy and report on!

Caller - Cheers!
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Frank La Rue wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:48 pm I see myself as an affocionado for ELP's music.
Are you on the ELP appreciation group on facebook?, 19,500 members and growing all the time.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/162530520477144/

I got introduced to the band from a friend a couple of years older than me - I was 13 or 14 - who brought over Pictures to listen to on my record player. It blew me away, I went out and bought the album and I never looked back. I was meant to see them at the Oval when I was still at school, but I became ill and couldn't go. I finally saw them at the RAH in 1992.

I read that the band readily admitted that 5 weeks of rehearsals wasn't enough for the High Voltage reunion show and there's some interesting footage from backstage afterwards. As you know, that's when Carl said enough is enough, with Gregs voice and Keiths nerve problem affecting his playing. Very sad but everything comes to an end.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It must be Christmas, I've just found myself watch/listening to this :shock:

:lach:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

new extreme talent is Billie Eilish
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

on the comical front was Peter Sellers doing A hard days night channelling Luarance Olivier doing Richard III (1965)
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Want to feel old, take a look at this one. :(

"Thousands of fans made a pilgrimage to London's Abbey Road 50 years after the Beatles walked over its zebra crossing for the cover of the last album the band recorded."...............

The band was pictured striding across the road the album was named after on 8 August 1969.

Abbey Road: Beatles fans gather to recreate cover shot

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49279293 .
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Jimbob wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:39 pm on the comical front was Peter Sellers doing A hard days night channelling Luarance Olivier doing Richard III (1965)
Superb! Thanks for sharing Jimbob. :thumb:
PeteC wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:33 am Want to feel old, take a look at this one. :(

"Thousands of fans made a pilgrimage to London's Abbey Road 50 years after the Beatles walked over its zebra crossing for the cover of the last album the band recorded."...............

The band was pictured striding across the road the album was named after on 8 August 1969.

Abbey Road: Beatles fans gather to recreate cover shot

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49279293 .
Has been causing chaos by all accounts - a friend of mine living close to the area is not a happy man!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Listening to Karl Jenkins Amadeus very clever and very relaxing.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

If this doesn't make you smile then you don't have a pulse:

May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

To hear the real deal, listen to Meade Lux Lewis & Albert Ammons.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:52 pm To hear the real deal, listen to Meade Lux Lewis & Albert Ammons.
It's not the Boggie Woogie that I am referring to, but the absolute joy it brings to those two little girls! The look on the face of the smaller one is priceless. The older one is talented in her own right.

Brendan Kavanagh is somewhat of a genius on the piano. He has a huge following on YouTube, and rightly so.

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Ok, I didn't realize that the subject was the girls.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:56 pm Ok, I didn't realize that the subject was the girls.
Jeez! The POINT IS the total enjoyment handed out to the family, by somebody with the talent that the likes of you can never hope to achieve! :butt:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Nereus wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:00 am
handdrummer wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:56 pm Ok, I didn't realize that the subject was the girls.
Jeez! The POINT IS the total enjoyment handed out to the family, by somebody with the talent that the likes of you can never hope to achieve! :butt:
Why are you so angry? All I did was misinterpret what you said. I have a different focus than you, Is not that not allowed?

As far as "talent", whatever that is, I've had enough to be a successful musician and bring enjoyment to thousands of people over a 65 yr. period, so have whatever it takes to calm you down and relax a bit. :cheers:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Yep, i agree. My pulse stopped after about 4 minutes. Woe betide anyone who questions the angry Aussie :duck: :duck:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.