VIP - Edinburgh Military Tattoo 2018 - Top Secret DrumCorps

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: VIP - Edinburgh Military Tattoo 2018 - Top Secret DrumCorps

Post by handdrummer »

That's some serious shite!!!!!
Thank you for posting.
The difference between when I played in drum corps and now is like a single engine plane compared to a jet. The technical development is astounding.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Incredible, and not a computer in sight!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Amazing. Thanks for sharing that.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Superb. :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Excellent display. They do it so much better than us Brits can do. The same to be said for the US rifle drill exhibitions.

But we are good at some things..... The RN field gun competition for example.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:59 pm They do it so much better than us Brits can do.
I couldn't disagree more. A long time ago, my daughter's boyfriend told us he was in a band. Aren't most young lads in a band?

It used to baffle me why he had to travel to Dagenham most weekends for practice. It baffled me even more when I learnt his instrument wasn't a guitar or drums, it was a French Horn.

Then he invited us all up to Sixfields Stadium in Northampton to watch him compete.

I will never forget what I saw that day. There was marching band after marching band, each equally as good as these guys, and many incredibly better. His band did a set from Les Miserables, which blew everybody away. They were brilliant, using the entire stadium playing surface as well. Their reward was an invitation to tour and compete in similar competitions in the States, where they had further success.

So yes, the guys in the video are good, but I can't accept the Brits can't do it - I've seen it with my own eyes.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

So yes, the guys in the video are good, but I can't accept the Brits can't do it - I've seen it with my own eyes.
Absolutely agree! When I was still living in Australia, the New Years Day ritual was to watch the Edinburgh Tattoo on TV.
It was recorded, as that is not the date of the actual event. If you have never seen a platoon demonstrating with fixed bayonets, then you have missed something unique. The massed pipes and drums will make your hair stand on end, even if you do not like bagpipes! I think that they also used to do a demonstration with Land Rovers / small personnel carriers in precision manoeuvring. :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Similar is the Royal Tournament where various branches of the military perform various maneuvers with a 12 pounder field gun - these guys are equally impressive
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think you'll find the field gun competition was specifically the RN. Sadly the Royal Tournament is no more. Can't remember when the last one was but it was a few years ago.

I've spent a while on youtube looking for drum exhibitions by the British military. The drum corps of the Royal Marines seem the best we have and even then they were playing second fiddle to the Secret Drum Corps.

Likewise with the 'Rifle Throwing'. The yanks seem to have that.

I've been to several tattoos, including the Edinburgh Tattoo, and always found them spectacular. I'm not knocking the British Military (I spent several years in the RN) but in those two particular skills, we are not the best. The Royal Marines Band is probably one of the best military bands in the world.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

As I've said, there are, or at least there were UK (non-military) marching bands, who were mainly teenagers that would knock spots off these guys. I did record the tournament, but that was on videotape, which has long gone. I've Googled it, but only came up with American equivalents.

I was truly gobsmacked at the skills these UK kids put on display at Sixfields Stadium.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Talking of marching bands, google 'Kyoto Tachibana'. They are a 'high school' marching/dancing band. They travel all over the world. I've never found anyone to match them. Around 110 in the band (mostly girls) and there are umpteen videos on youtube. How they do what they do and play instruments at the same time is beyond me.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been wading through YouTube, and I think the band I'm thinking of could be Dagenham Crusaders, but I can't find the show I'm talking about. There are some good performances there though, but none as good as I remember Les Miserables. Then again, I'm getting old now.

Points 41; Position 18
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

The original post/video was exceptionally good,as several members have commented upon.I personally think the precision was excellent,and still enjoy watching and have forwarded to several friends.
Lets stay with the original post,the tittle was "Edinburgh Military Tattoo 2018.
Start a new thread,as the MODS like to say,about marching bands,why take away something which was,and has been appreciated worldwide.I am aware they are Swiss, same nationality as one of the lovable forum members,still awaiting his comments.
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould