Science Quiz

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Science Quiz

Post by GLCQuantum »

Hi all,

I've noticed that there are a fair few members here who are into different areas of science (in some cases the poster seems quite advanced on the specific subject area). I'm really into my science too. I should take the time to learn more of it.

This said, I thought it would be nice to have a little science quiz. First person to get all 6 questions correct (failing that... the person with the most correct answers after, say, a week) has the pleasure of posting six new questions - while also being able to revel in the fact that you're simply smarter than everyone else. If you don't win... you get to find out a little something new about the weird and wonderful world of science.

As there are a few budding astronomers on the forum here (HHFarang, Stargeezer, Buksida and I think Bamboo Grove alongside the ones that I forgot) and it's my favourite area of science, I'll start the ball rolling with some 'simple' astronomy questions. These are actually grade 4-6 science questions... it's only easy if you know it!

Please remember folks... no google allowed.

1) There are eight planets in our solar system (pluto got demoted a while back). Which one is the hottest?

2) Which planet can I find its two moons, Phobos and Deimos (spelling of moons may not be perfect)?

3) Mercury has the fastest orbit around the sun. To orbit the sun it takes...

a) 88 days

b) 56 days

c) 123 days

4) How many 'Gas Giants' are in our solar system?

5) How many stars in our solar system?

6) The sun is made up mostly of hydrogen and what other gas?

Happy nerd-out folks...

:cheers:
buksida

Re: Science Quiz

Post by buksida »

Off the top of my head ...

1) Venus
2) Mars
3) 88
4) 4
5) 1
6) Helium
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Late reply, once again, forgot to follow up a post after I'd posted it. Buksida is spot on.
buksida wrote:Off the top of my head ...

1) Venus

You would have thought that Mercury would be hotter being so much closer to the sun but, unlike Venus... it has no atmosphere to trap the heat.

2) Mars

3) 88

4) 4

The 'gas giants' are our huge gaseous planets: Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and Uranus.

5) 1

Any Solar System has just the one star. We have millions of solar systems in our galaxy.

6) Helium

Though we are drying up of Helium here - the sun has it in abundance.
Well done Buksi. I'll post five more questions, as I didn't follow this up, and then it's your turn (Buksida) to throw 5 questions into the mix.

On to 'Living Things' now.

1: There is only one mammal that lays eggs. Name that mammal.

2: Only one mammal can fly. Name it.

3: A lion is a carnivore, a cow is a herbivore... what is a frog?

4: What is the term used for a flower that possesses both male and female parts?

5: How many 'Kingdoms' of living things are there?

aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

GLCQ a nice idea to get our brains working and engaged, but realistically speaking on a forum, where there is no bar on people accessing the Internet to get answers, it is hardly going to engage people. A good pub quiz would best suited to this.
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

There are two mammals that lay eggs platypus and the echidna they are both monortemes.
Bat is the flying mammal
Frog is an omnivore
Can't remember the other two.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

This is where my own knowledge gets a drubbing! :oops:
Kraka's Dad wrote:There are two mammals that lay eggs platypus and the echidna they are both monortemes.

I thought only the platypus laid eggs. Well I never! For anyone like myself that didn't know what an echidna is, here's the handsome little fellow below (spiny anteater).

Bat is the flying mammal

Correct

Frog is an omnivore

I had it down as an 'insectivore' but after looking at the web I see that they can be called carnivores, omnivores or insectivores.

Can't remember the other two.
Just questions 4 and 5 to answer then.

GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

aragon wrote:GLCQ a nice idea to get our brains working and engaged, but realistically speaking on a forum, where there is no bar on people accessing the Internet to get answers, it is hardly going to engage people. A good pub quiz would best suited to this.
There is a bar on using the internet.

I bar you from using the internet! :D

That's that sorted then.