Huffington Post: In the Next 10 Years a Lot Of Rockstars Are Going To Die

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Huffington Post: In the Next 10 Years a Lot Of Rockstars Are Going To Die

Post by Frank La Rue »

I came accross this article below.

When one thinks about it - the globalization of Rock, The globalization of telecommunications technology, created Brand Names of which some receintly died, before them Freddy Mercury, and those who died too early like Jim Morrison. Jimmie Hendrix and Janis Joplin.

Now is the decade of those who will die of natural causes and old age:

ELton John, Rod Stewart, Ronnie Wood, Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Paul McCarney. Ringo Starr, Paul Rogers, and many other household names.

We have entered a period where the very players of an epoque both in terms of music and cultural change (the change from society in the wake of WWII to the next phase in Society's order or lack of such) are leaving us.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/tim-tho ... 07950.html

It is a strange thought for me to think that my childrensd kids will be born in an era where David Bowie, Elton, John Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney do not exist, do not tour anymore. They will hear of these legends occasionally like I have heard of Mozart and Bach.

They will have other musical influences in a world where the record as Vinyl, CD or DVD does not exits anymore, but streaming?
Will the very phenomenon of Rock Stardom prevail or will there be other forms of musical expression and formats for their participants to appear?

Just last year a young man calling himself KYGO appeard from his room at the parents house with Equipment for DJ'ing and via internet has rizen to fame - not performing any instruments but doing remix on SoundCloud on the Internet, performing amongst others with Coldplay.

As the Music Icons of my time go so goes an entire format of communication and perfomring music, possibly also the grate stadium Shows - just think of not having venues Like "Rolling Stones on Copacabana Beach".

On a side note: Remarkably many of these Rock Icons are/where British.

One wonders if British Rock emerging in the 1960'ies and dominating Rock for 60 years was the final Death Cramp of The British Empire in Decline?

Rant Over.
Last edited by Frank La Rue on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
PeteC

Re: Huffington Post: In the Next q0 Years a Lot Of Rockstars Are Going To Die

Post by PeteC »

Yes, that's a given. The post WWII generation will be meeting their end unfortunately. :( That includes 1960-70's rock artists, actors, et al, the greatest generation of musicians the planet has ever known. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Re: Huffington Post: In the Next 10 Years a Lot Of Rockstars Are Going To Die

Post by Frank La Rue »

prcscct wrote:Yes, that's a given. The post WWII generation will be meeting their end unfortunately. :( That includes 1960-70's rock artists, actors, et al, the greatest generation of musicians the planet has ever known. :D Pete :cheers:
What makes me thoughtfull is that these Icons are 5 - 10 years older than me - Ronnie Wood is 66 I am turning 61.

So when they are gone - I'm next. :(
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Don't despair, rockers tend to die young. Hard living and a lot of abuse in many cases. It would be unusual to see any make 75, whereas the average is probably in the late 60's IMO. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Old Git`s rant: how many of the "stars" of the last 10 years are still around with their fans knowing, and singing, the words to their songs? Boy and girls bands come and go on a regular basis leaving not a lot as their legacy. Not like it was in my day.!!!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Well, In the late 50's and 60's I remember my parents lamenting the end of the crooners they so loved and the beginning of that horrid noise called rock and roll. They of course grew up with the likes of Frank Sinatra, Pat Boone, and Dean Martin, etc. I remember them saying it was the end of "good" music. So I guess it's not the end, just the beginning of a new generation of music???

Personally, my favorite music was released in the 70's closely followed by the 60's, 80's, 50's, and then 90's (very little from this decade). Not much I've liked in the new millennium.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

hhfarang wrote:Personally, my favorite music was released in the 70's closely followed by the 60's, 80's, 50's, and then 90's (very little from this decade). Not much I've liked in the new millennium.
Spot on! My choice of decades match 100%.

My only other sibling was my sister, who was 12 years older than me. As a real youngster I had no choice but to listen to her choice of music which was mostly 60s and a little of the late 50s. I even needed to learn to Bop and dance Rock & Roll at a very early age so that she could practice for the Saturday night dance. The music of that era still holds a special place in my music tastes today, Brenda Lee etc.

For me the sounds of the 70s were my time and when I hear certain songs from the 70s they bring back vivid memories of people, places and occasions that I thought were forgotten.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

hhfarang wrote:Well, In the late 50's and 60's I remember my parents lamenting the end of the crooners they so loved and the beginning of that horrid noise called rock and roll. They of course grew up with the likes of Frank Sinatra, Pat Boone, and Dean Martin, etc. I remember them saying it was the end of "good" music. So I guess it's not the end, just the beginning of a new generation of music???

Personally, my favorite music was released in the 70's closely followed by the 60's, 80's, 50's, and then 90's (very little from this decade). Not much I've liked in the new millennium.
Identilcal to my own taste. I'd add one decade though: 2000 - 2010, for the reason that Rod Stewart recorded the American song book with all the crooners songs from the Roger and HEart songbook, which I gues takesos back to 1930 - 50?