RIP David Bowie

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Re: RIP David Bowie

Post by bsdk1960 »

Spitfire wrote:One of the best......sad to see him go. I enjoyed so much of his music.

Amen. There are so few real artists anymore.....just manufactured rubbish for the children.

:agree: :bow:
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

redzonerocker wrote:Very sad news indeed and a great loss to the world of music and entertainment.

His style, creativity and presence over nearly six decades was immense, a true legend in every sense.

R.I.P David Robert Jones :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
You just about said it all Redzone. If there IS a god up there he's got himself one hell of a gig together.

:cry:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

I heard "Suffragette City" my second day in college. Thus began my musical education into the world beyond Top 40. Thanks, David. Their aren't enough adjectives and labels to ever be able to convey to future generations the impact he had on music and the culture.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

We started playing some Bowie in the bar last night and I'd forgotten just how many iconic songs he'd produced, after about an hour we were still going strong with some truly great music.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

So sad, the stardust has gone :blues:
RIP David...thanks for being part of my life when I was still young.

images (2).jpg
images (2).jpg (13.99 KiB) Viewed 573 times
bowie-1.png
bowie-1.png (160.73 KiB) Viewed 573 times
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

And now Bowie albums make up 25% of the top 40, with 19 albums in the top 100, his music and talent will never die.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35326988
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

I shall probably take a lot of flake for this - I really made an effort a few years a go to get into David Bowie's music, I bought several albums from various epochs, and concert DVD's.

I never got convinced a bout his genius.

David Bowie seems not to have any background neither in Jazz nor Classical music so he does not have a foundation to build on. That shows in his music, which to me narrows his ability to write interesting music.

This goes for a lot of Pop/Rock personalities, so not a unique backdrop in any sense. For example, Paul Mc Cartnwey does not have formal musical training and has written a lot of uninteresting songs, but in his entire catalogue of songs he has produced some incredibly varied and appealing pieces, way better than David Bowie in my humble oppinion. Mention - Eleanor Rigby - which is Bach as got as it comes.

Queen - where David Bowie does a good enough performace of "Under Pressure" together with Annie Lennox in the tribute to Freddy Mercury - concert, again he does not match Queen in song writing.

Was David Bowie more a Performance Artist who seduced a young audience with the entirety of his theatrical work?

Maybe his Perfromance Art and rebellion against convetions is what made his Glam Rock such an impact on impressionable young people all those years ago, that it makes people today in their 50ties and 60ties, attributing such an unconditional significance to his contribution to music, because he hit a nerve with you as impressionable young people at that stage in your lives, all those years ago.

In Premier League of musicianship he was and is not - in my humble oppinion

Peace
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

I think I`m with you Frank, many of his songs are catchy for sure, especially that "Gnome" one! But people got carried away by the dressing up he indulged in. HHAD contributors have shown restraint and stiff-upperlippedness unlike many of the obituaries and pretentious grief in the media.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Surprised I did not get more pushback on my post - did I have a point - anyone? Are you people too polite or you silently agree or David Bowie was not that important to you after all, to enter a polemic with an infidel?

- Not Gloating btw-
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Frank La Rue wrote:Surprised I did not get more pushback on my post - did I have a point - anyone? Are you people too polite or you silently agree or David Bowie was not that important to you after all, to enter a polemic with an infidel?

- Not Gloating btw-
Perhaps because he was a demi-god people didn`t want to risk di :twisted: vine retribution
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

And now Bowie's drummer, Dale Griffin passes aged 67, after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease.

http://leadercall.com/2016/01/david-bow ... age-of-67/
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Frank La Rue wrote:Surprised I did not get more pushback on my post - did I have a point - anyone?
No, we all have different tastes/opinions Frank. I enjoyed his music, you didn't - nothing wrong with that.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Big Boy wrote:
Frank La Rue wrote:Surprised I did not get more pushback on my post - did I have a point - anyone?
No, we all have different tastes/opinions Frank. I enjoyed his music, you didn't - nothing wrong with that.
For my part it`s not that I didn`t enjoy some of his music, it`s more the pretentious outpourings following his death.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Not bad for singing a tune.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35449063

Rock star David Bowie leaves $100m in will
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

The unique thing about David Bowie was that every single and every album was written in a different style. He didn't have a secret formula that he repeated ad infinitum.

Also, every single that charted was unlike any other song in the chart at that time.

IMHO, Bowie joins the short list of genuine originals, along with the likes of Zappa and Hendrix...