RIP David Bowie

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Re: RIP David Bowie

Post by Frank La Rue »

Big Boy wrote:
Frank La Rue wrote:Surprised I did not get more pushback on my post - did I have a point - anyone?
No, we all have different tastes/opinions Frank. I enjoyed his music, you didn't - nothing wrong with that.

After leaving it for a couple of weeks I have to conclude though that David Bowie went out in style, He released an album with a video clip to go - showing him literally staging his own death. What a way to go.

I rest my case though - it is Performance Art - and almost real - time, rather than unique muscisianship
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Frank La Rue wrote:
I rest my case though - it is Performance Art - and almost real - time, rather than unique muscisianship
Play any of these records in a bar, at a party or wherever,

Starman.
Space Oddity.
Heroes.
Ashes to Ashes.
Life on Mars.
The Jean Genie.
Changes.
Sound and Vision.
All the Young Dudes (yes, written by Bowie)
. . . . . . . and many, many more!

and the majority of people of all ages will know the songs and be able to sing the lyrics.

That's unique musicianship in anyones book. :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

Bowie currently has 12 albums in the UK top 40 and 5 (including Nos. 1 & 3 in the top 10)...........speaks for itself I would say :cheers: :cheers:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
booboo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by booboo »

If you came to Bowie anytime after the mid 80s, then maybe you don't understand how important he was in the Rock World, for those of us who were there in the early 70s, right at the beginning there was nobody else like him, nobody looked him, nobody sounded like him, he was a genius, for me there will never be another like him !
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

:agree:
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

:agree: too

:cheers: :cheers:
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

!"

Post by Frank La Rue »

booboo wrote:If you came to Bowie anytime after the mid 80s, then maybe you don't understand how important he was in the Rock World, for those of us who were there in the early 70s, right at the beginning there was nobody else like him, nobody looked him, nobody sounded like him, he was a genius, for me there will never be another like him !
I was nineteen in 1974 when I moved to the nearest regional City with a Uni in Norway. All over town people cut their hairs like Ziggy Stardust, wore plateau shoes and wore nail polish. His music was everywhere but for me he was somehow overshadsowed in musical originality by Queen, Freddy Mercury and "A Night at The Opera".

For me it has stayed that way
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Clips from the David Bowie Tribute concert at Carnegie Hall in NYC are on youtube. Sound quality for vocals is poor for most of the performances. Maybe it was the nose-bleed high seats where the videographer sat. Not Recommended.

However, during 'All the Young Dudes', Rikki Lee Jones invited the audience to join her on the chorus. Standard stuff, but not done standard this time. Take a hall built for acoustic performances, add an audience that knows the song and you get 2000 people far more in sync and on time than any live show I've ever been to or heard on a recording. Bonus points for doing it in the style that fit Jones' performance.

Skip to 2m 10s