Gabriel García Márquez RIP

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
buksida

Gabriel García Márquez RIP

Post by buksida »

The Colombian Nobel laureate Gabriel García Márquez, who unleashed the worldwide boom in Spanish language literature and magical realism with his novel One Hundred Years of Solitude, died at the age of 87. He had been admitted to hospital in Mexico City on 3 April with pneumonia.

Matching commercial success with critical acclaim, García Márquez became a standard-bearer for Latin American letters, establishing a route for negotiations between guerillas and the Colombian government, building a friendship with Fidel Castro and maintaining a feud with fellow literature laureate Mario Vargas Llosa that lasted more than 30 years.

Barack Obama said the world had lost "one of its greatest visionary writers", adding that he cherished an inscribed copy of One Hundred Years of Solitude, presented to him by the author on a visit to Mexico. "I offer my thoughts to his family and friends, whom I hope take solace in the fact that Gabo's work will live on for generations to come."

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/a ... rquez-dies

One of the world's greatest writers IMO, now off with the Jaguars in some steamy Colombian jungle in the sky, RIP.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Re: Gabriel García Márquez RIP

Post by lomuamart »

That's a real shame. Fully agree with you that he was one of the world's greats.
Not that anyone can substitute for him, but Isabelle Allende and Louis de Bernieres do a more than decent job in the magical realism stakes so there's hope left.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Re: Gabriel García Márquez RIP

Post by dundrillin »

Yes,so true. He was unique. Love in the Time of Cholera also a brilliant book.